Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Can someone explain the MGPM fascination?  (Read 7570 times)

DaveAndrews

Can someone explain the MGPM fascination?
« on: October 06, 2003, 02:07:12 PM »
Has anyone asked GSN why they show Match Game PM in primetime - over and over again.  There are so few episodes, and they just keep showing them over and over again.  Wouldn't it make more sense to show one of the daytime versions then?  

Does GSN feel that it is somehow much more exciting because the contestants play the big money for 10K or 20K, at the expense of showing these same few episodes again and again?  Are the ratings actually high on these broadcasts?    To add insult to injury they show them twice.  

They go through these episodes almost twice a year.  And it takes years to get to see some of the daytime ones.

Look at MG76.  They've been running these on the vertivision rotation, from week 1 of MG76 right through to week 20.  Looks like we're going to miss Anitra Ford by one week and it looks like the MG76 episode set is going to die right there, unless they use the weekend slots to continue where they left off in MG76.  (fat chance)  

It would be the perfect opportunity to resume MG76 in primetime.

Dave

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2003, 02:26:25 PM »
Not sure of the reasons, but from what I have seen, the female PM contestants are much more youthful and attractive than the daytime counterparts. Self contained episodes is another possibility.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 02:56:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 6 2003, 01:26 PM\']Not sure of the reasons, but from what I have seen, the female PM contestants are much more youthful and attractive than the daytime counterparts. Self contained episodes is another possibility.[/quote]
Self-contained episodes is the more likely possibility--remember that it is believed that Joe Viewer treats GSN the same way he treats Nick at Nite and TV Land--as the place to go when there's nothing else on.  I'm sure that the copious research we don't have privy to proves that the majority of \"MGPM\" viewers only watch once a week, if that often--and at least there are more episodes to make it less likely to see the same episode every time (I swear that when BBC America ran \"The Fast Show\"--or \"Brilliant!\", as it was called in the American packaging for an unstated reason--a catch phrase?--every time I tried to watch it, they showed the same episode).

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2003, 04:55:01 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 6 2003, 01:56 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 6 2003, 01:26 PM\']Not sure of the reasons, but from what I have seen, the female PM contestants are much more youthful and attractive than the daytime counterparts. Self contained episodes is another possibility.[/quote]
Self-contained episodes is the more likely possibility--remember that it is believed that Joe Viewer treats GSN the same way he treats Nick at Nite and TV Land--as the place to go when there's nothing else on.  I'm sure that the copious research we don't have privy to proves that the majority of "MGPM" viewers only watch once a week, if that often--and at least there are more episodes to make it less likely to see the same episode every time (I swear that when BBC America ran "The Fast Show"--or "Brilliant!", as it was called in the American packaging for an unstated reason--a catch phrase?--every time I tried to watch it, they showed the same episode). [/quote]
 Self contained; these episode are also interactive.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

J.R.

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2003, 10:36:29 PM »
Think about it. MG PM was a nighttime show and GSN wants to air it in nighttime.

There's just something odd about aring Daytime shows in Nighttime Slots and vice versa

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2003, 11:01:01 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Oct 6 2003, 07:36 PM\'] There's just something odd about aring Daytime shows in Nighttime Slots and vice versa
 [/quote]
 Huh?!

Oh, do tell...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2003, 11:24:18 AM »
They go through these episodes almost twice a year. And it takes years to get to see some of the daytime ones.

GSN did remove \"Match Game PM\" from the schedule for a while, in favor of the syndicated \"Match Game\".  It only lasted a few months and then \"PM\" returned.  Although I like the show, I agree that it's probably been run through too many times now.

Maybe the syndie version didn't have self-contained episodes, but at least it had self-contained weeks!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

TV Favorites

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2003, 11:30:35 AM »
Also, Match Game '79 was in primetime for a while.  After it ended, the syndie Match Game started.  Then, right around the same time, GSN started the double blocks (Family Feud, Match Game, Newlywed Game) in primetime and ran Match Game PM & Match Game syndie back to back.  When those double blocks ended, Match Game PM stayed.

beatlefreak84

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2003, 05:34:10 PM »
There's just something odd about aring Daytime shows in Nighttime Slots and vice versa

You mean to tell me you didn't even watch \"The Price is Right Million Dollar Spectaculars?\"  Too bad, because you were one of the few that didn't; of us, anyway (and, if that's the case, don't worry, since you'll get your chance in a few months anyway!).

I may be stretching here, but \"Let's Make a Deal,\" \"The Price is Right,\" \"The Newlywed Game,\" and \"The Dating Game\" all had successful runs in nighttime despite being daytime shows.  Even further of a stretch would be J! and WOF, which has its syndicated versions a little before primetime but were actually MORE successful than their daytime counterparts.

In terms of vice-versa, let's look at WWTBAM, TWL, TTTT (the original), etc.  The list goes on.

Obviously, from basically the dawn of game shows up to the present, there is nothing that substantiates this argument other than shear opinion.  Not that there haven't been some odd cases, but you made it sound like, if a show is made for daytime, it should never air in primetime and vice-versa, and that's just not true.

There; I think I've said enough for one day!

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

J.R.

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2003, 08:24:24 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 04:34 PM\']

You mean to tell me you didn't even watch "The Price is Right Million Dollar Spectaculars?"  Too bad, because you were one of the few that didn't; of us, anyway (and, if that's the case, don't worry, since you'll get your chance in a few months anyway!).

I may be stretching here, but "Let's Make a Deal," "The Price is Right," "The Newlywed Game," and "The Dating Game" all had successful runs in nighttime despite being daytime shows.  Even further of a stretch would be J! and WOF, which has its syndicated versions a little before primetime but were actually MORE successful than their daytime counterparts.

In terms of vice-versa, let's look at WWTBAM, TWL, TTTT (the original), etc.  The list goes on.

Obviously, from basically the dawn of game shows up to the present, there is nothing that substantiates this argument other than shear opinion.  Not that there haven't been some odd cases, but you made it sound like, if a show is made for daytime, it should never air in primetime and vice-versa, and that's just not true.

There; I think I've said enough for one day!

Anthony [/quote]
 I appoligize. What I ment to say was \"Daytime RERUNS in Nighttime Slots\"

I did watch the TPIR Specials and I did like 'em !
-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

JMFabiano

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2003, 08:38:51 PM »
Well not even the best of rerun specializing channels are immune to that, I suppose.  Four words: Twice as Nice Gidget.  Not that Sally Field over and over is a BAD thing, but still, the show only ran for one season!!!!  

Might as well post this quote in big, bold letters at the top of this forum: \"GSN DOES NOT PROGRAM FOR TAPE COLLECTORS.\"  

In other news, Woolery left Wheel...
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2003, 09:46:08 PM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Oct 8 2003, 05:38 PM\'] Might as well post this quote in big, bold letters at the top of this forum: "GSN DOES NOT PROGRAM FOR TAPE COLLECTORS."  
 [/quote]
 Believe me, they would still whine.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2003, 12:57:09 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 6 2003, 01:56 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 6 2003, 01:26 PM\']Not sure of the reasons, but from what I have seen, the female PM contestants are much more youthful and attractive than the daytime counterparts. Self contained episodes is another possibility.[/quote]
Self-contained episodes is the more likely possibility--remember that it is believed that Joe Viewer treats GSN the same way he treats Nick at Nite and TV Land--as the place to go when there's nothing else on.  I'm sure that the copious research we don't have privy to proves that the majority of "MGPM" viewers only watch once a week, if that often--and at least there are more episodes to make it less likely to see the same episode every time (I swear that when BBC America ran "The Fast Show"--or "Brilliant!", as it was called in the American packaging for an unstated reason--a catch phrase?--every time I tried to watch it, they showed the same episode). [/quote]
 Wasn't another factor because it's one of GSN's higher-rated shows during the primetime block?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

HSquares2003

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2003, 12:52:42 PM »
Well, it'll be interesting next week to see what episodes of FF air at 10pm, something tells me its gonna be the syndicated ones from 83-85 in that slot. Thus, it'll be night time shows in nightime slots just like MGPM.