Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The "Pyramid" Trilons  (Read 15268 times)

lobster

The "Pyramid" Trilons
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2008, 01:16:58 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'180090\' date=\'Mar 5 2008, 12:10 PM\']
[quote name=\'William A. Padron\' post=\'180084\' date=\'Mar 5 2008, 12:51 PM\']
http://subway.com.ru/other/images/pyr1.jpg
[/quote]
That may be, to me, the best photo of the 20K Pyramid I've ever seen. Gives you a real indication just how deep the 'cavernous' looking studio actually was.

And the colors are incredible!

GREAT Find.
[/quote]

That's a nice vantage point the photographer had, i had no idea the studio had such a steep "stadium seating" style pitch to it

William A. Padron

The "Pyramid" Trilons
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2008, 01:27:17 PM »
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'180089\' date=\'Mar 5 2008, 01:08 PM\']
hah that's cool..

and then he took these:
http://subway.com.ru/other/images/pyr2.jpg
and
http://subway.com.ru/other/images/pyr3.jpg

must have hung out by the exit to get that cool shot of Ms Worley
[/quote]

And also, Tony Randall about to go inside his taxi to take him home from TV-15 to his Central Park West apartment.

http://subway.com.ru/other/images/tr77.jpg

Yeah, they are cool photos, no doubt.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 01:27:50 PM by William A. Padron »
[Take The "A" Train]

bricon

The "Pyramid" Trilons
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2008, 01:32:10 PM »
That's a nice vantage point the photographer had, i had no idea the studio had such a steep "stadium seating" style pitch to it

The picture was taken from the balcony of the theater, which accounts for the raised view.

lobster

The "Pyramid" Trilons
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2008, 01:36:22 PM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' post=\'180098\' date=\'Mar 5 2008, 12:32 PM\']

The picture was taken from the balcony of the theater, which accounts for the raised view.
[/quote]

was the balcony right over the stage or back above a bottom row of lower-level audience (like you see at Letterman, etc)?  The shot makes it appear as if they're right there feet away from the stage ..

/or.. zoom lens? :p

dale_grass

The "Pyramid" Trilons
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2008, 02:18:49 PM »
Does anybody else see the faint outlines of the four hidden squares at the bottom of the board?

BrandonFG

The "Pyramid" Trilons
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2008, 02:21:50 PM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'180106\' date=\'Mar 5 2008, 02:18 PM\']
Does anybody else see the faint outlines of the four hidden squares at the bottom of the board?
[/quote]
Good eye.

However, I was always under the impression that the original, 10-trilon board, remained property of CBS, and the ABC art dept. built a new board from scratch?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

William A. Padron

The "Pyramid" Trilons
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2008, 02:41:03 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'180107\' date=\'Mar 5 2008, 02:21 PM\']
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'180106\' date=\'Mar 5 2008, 02:18 PM\']
[/quote]
Good eye.

However, I was always under the impression that the original, 10-trilon board, remained property of CBS, and the ABC art dept. built a new board from scratch?
[/quote]

Correct...ABC-TV just simply built a new Pyramid set from scratch at a said cost of $80,000.  It made its first on-air appearence during its seventh week on the air (June 17-21, 1974) with celebrity guests June Lockhart and William Shatner.

[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'180100\' date=\'Mar 5 2008, 01:36 PM\']
was the balcony right over the stage or back above a bottom row of lower-level audience (like you see at Letterman, etc)?  The shot makes it appear as if they're right there feet away from the stage ..

/or.. zoom lens? :p
[/quote]

The balcony's edge in the first few rows at TV-15 was just little over the stage's end.  If an audience member was lucky enough to sit in the very first row, the view in seeing the show videotaped would be really that close, and far much better than being downstairs in the orchestra section at times.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 03:03:58 PM by William A. Padron »
[Take The "A" Train]

lobster

The "Pyramid" Trilons
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2008, 05:07:20 PM »
I just heard from the gentleman who took those Pyramid set photos, and here's what he writes:

Hello Robert,

I used to go to the Pyramid a lot when I was a teenager and took lots of
photos. At some point I'll be posting more of the photo on my site, but
right now those are the only few I have.

Take care,
-Larry

So apparently there will be more to be had :D

I'm actually surprised they didn't mind someone in the audience having a camera (doesn't appear he was so stealth about it judging from those great shots), as it seems every time I've ever been to a taping that's the one big no-no..

in my follow-up I asked if they ever let him on stage to take a shot of the back of the large pyramid.. I guess we'll soon see what goodies he has :]

LObs

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
The "Pyramid" Trilons
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2008, 07:41:23 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'180090\' date=\'Mar 5 2008, 10:10 AM\']
[quote name=\'William A. Padron\' post=\'180084\' date=\'Mar 5 2008, 12:51 PM\']
http://subway.com.ru/other/images/pyr1.jpg
[/quote]
That may be, to me, the best photo of the 20K Pyramid I've ever seen. Gives you a real indication just how deep the 'cavernous' looking studio actually was.

And the colors are incredible!

GREAT Find.
[/quote]
It's also a great glimpse at the end of an era: ABC TV-15, home to shows ranging from The Dick Cavett Show to Music Bingo to Pyramid, which I believe was the last show in there.

HYHYBT

The "Pyramid" Trilons
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2008, 09:04:42 PM »
A couple of Possibly-Stupid Questions: why, since this Pyramid never had the bottom four boxes, is there still a line under the row of three, and what is the mound of carpet (visible in the first picture) right in front of the big pyramid for?
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

BrandonFG

The "Pyramid" Trilons
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2008, 09:12:20 PM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'180460\' date=\'Mar 7 2008, 09:04 PM\']
[W]hat is the mound of carpet (visible in the first picture) right in front of the big pyramid for?
[/quote]
To hide Jimmy Hoffa. ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

William A. Padron

The "Pyramid" Trilons
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2008, 02:55:41 PM »
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'180452\' date=\'Mar 7 2008, 05:07 PM\']
I just heard from the gentleman who took those Pyramid set photos, and here's what he writes:

Hello Robert,

I used to go to the Pyramid a lot when I was a teenager and took lots of
photos. At some point I'll be posting more of the photo on my site, but
right now those are the only few I have.

Take care,
-Larry

So apparently there will be more to be had :D

I'm actually surprised they didn't mind someone in the audience having a camera (doesn't appear he was so stealth about it judging from those great shots), as it seems every time I've ever been to a taping that's the one big no-no..

in my follow-up I asked if they ever let him on stage to take a shot of the back of the large pyramid.. I guess we'll soon see what goodies he has :]

LObs
[/quote]

Well, from my personal experience in going to these NYC Pyramid tapings at ABC TV-15, and despite being printed on the ticket saying it was prohibited, photo taking was allowed by the show, as long as you did not use a flashbulb.  That was instructed by announcer Bob Clayton during the warm-ups, and any audience member can easily shoot their photos with no problems or hassling from anyone on the network or production company staff.

[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'180460\' date=\'Mar 7 2008, 09:04 PM\']
A couple of Possibly-Stupid Questions: why, since this Pyramid never had the bottom four boxes, is there still a line under the row of three, and what is the mound of carpet (visible in the first picture) right in front of the big pyramid for?
[/quote]

The dividing middle line for the ABC-TV big pyramid's bottom three boxes is a bit lower than the one for the original CBS-TV design, which was right at the edge of that board's now bottom three boxes.  The ABC big pyramid board's lower section, where they would be a provision added for those four additional boxes never used on the CBS version, is hollow and nothing else.

The mound of carpet was simply a covering not to show a recessed portion of the pyramid board underneath that was not painted in gold lame.  The carpet mound did not cover the so-called four bottom boxes on the original CBS set pet se, and that was instead covered with gold lame plywood in a two pieces (there is a straight line down the middle also).

Why not ten categories?  Because during some run throughs conducted by Bob Stewart before they were going to start taping the first CBS 10K episodes, it was discovered that during game play, no one could easily solve ten subjects and win within 60 seconds.  Stewart told this problem to CBS, and simply told them to make that change.  The plywood stayed up there until the show moved to ABC TV-15 with its duplicate set and a brand new board from scratch.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 03:11:48 PM by William A. Padron »
[Take The "A" Train]

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The "Pyramid" Trilons
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2008, 03:17:18 PM »
"Yes, it was fine to take non-flash pictures at the tapings I attended."

How hard is that?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe