Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Game Shows you just couldn't watch  (Read 17328 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
The Game Shows you just couldn't watch
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2008, 11:03:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'182900\' date=\'Mar 31 2008, 09:59 AM\']
"All-New Beat the Clock," I think. Weren't Lucy reruns long before "Hollywood Connection"? Of course, my memory is fuzzy, since the shows were preempted. At different times Blackout, Eubanks' Card Sharks and most notably Press Your Luck were all preempted here in Minneapolis.
[/quote]
If memory serves, HC ran during the 1977-78 season.  ANBTC debuted in 1979.

When was MG77 moved to mornings (that *could* have been what got displaced)?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 11:04:14 AM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

joker316

« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2008, 05:58:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'182897\' date=\'Mar 31 2008, 09:22 AM\']
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'182896\' date=\'Mar 31 2008, 08:58 AM\']
[quote name=\'joker316\' post=\'182814\' date=\'Mar 29 2008, 09:20 PM\']
Ditto, the words "All Star".
[/quote]

You won't even make an exception for "Password All-Stars"?  Admittedly, I like seeing civilians win, but my recollection of this one was pretty strong.

Except for the pop-up arrow "buzzers."  Those I could do without.
[/quote]

Pop-up arrows cool.  Tournament format cool. Set cool.  Music package cool

One show that wasn't affected by adding "celebrity" was "Double Talk." :)
[/quote]

OK, I'm gonna get hammered for this , but... I agree on Password All-Stars up to this point: I feel the all star format should have been say an annual or semi-annual event for a week for charity. My reason is not all of the "all-stars" were the highest caliber players around. While some played it straight, others seemed to be just going through the motions. Being something of a Password "purist", that might be clouding my judgement. I won't say it was a total trainwreck, but after three straight weeks of stars playing for charity can be a drag.

And I know not everyone can be a Betty White caliber player, but I expect a comedian to play straight and not be "jokey" in the course of the game. Before you ask me to name specific players, I admit upfront that I can't. I remember them being on, I just cannot recall specific names. My apologies in advance.
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

MrBuddwing

« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2008, 12:46:22 PM »
Some British thing called "Numberwang." Couldn't make heads or tails of it, so I gave up. Tried to find a copy of the rules online, but didn't find any. And why did they have the same two contestants on every show, and why did they keep changing the cities they were from? I was confused!

Happy April Fool's Day, folks.

J.R.

« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2008, 01:13:02 PM »
[quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' post=\'182977\' date=\'Apr 1 2008, 11:46 AM\']
Some British thing called "Numberwang." Couldn't make heads or tails of it, so I gave up. Tried to find a copy of the rules online, but didn't find any. And why did they have the same two contestants on every show, and why did they keep changing the cities they were from? I was confused!

Happy April Fool's Day, folks.
[/quote]
Hey, that was actually pretty funny!

Well done. :-)
-Joe Raygor

Ian Wallis

« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2008, 12:29:37 PM »
OK, I'm gonna get hammered for this , but... I agree on Password All-Stars up to this point: I feel the all star format should have been say an annual or semi-annual event for a week for charity. My reason is not all of the "all-stars" were the highest caliber players around. While some played it straight, others seemed to be just going through the motions. Being something of a Password "purist", that might be clouding my judgement. I won't say it was a total trainwreck, but after three straight weeks of stars playing for charity can be a drag.

It's been documented that one of the reasons for the change was the ratings had declined by 1974.  If you look at old TVGuide listings, they had a lot of all-celebrity weeks in fall 1974 even before it officially became Password All-Stars.  Some of those earlier weeks actually got decent ratings, such as the week that Monty Hall hosted while Allen and Betty played against each other.  I guess they figured this was what the viewing audience wanted...and we know how that turned out.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

alfonzos

« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2008, 02:46:11 PM »
In a job intereview with Howard Felsher, he told me that the Password revival was going to be canceled until they started booking Elizabeth Montgomery as a guest.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2008, 12:32:16 PM »
I think this thread pretty much says it all...what a trainwreck.

That, and Set for Life.

The Inquisitive One

/yes, I do feel pain
This is the Way.