Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Game Shows you just couldn't watch  (Read 17114 times)

jmangin

The Game Shows you just couldn't watch
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2008, 12:20:40 AM »
Add Hollywood Showdown to my list.  Nice people working there but I can't stand the game (and what was with the default Windows sounds used on that show?).

WildJoker76

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2008, 12:35:46 AM »
Perfect Match for taking the great Catch Phrase off the air in the mid-80s. I like Goen but he got better as each game came along (Home Shopping Game an exception).

Starface
Bargain Hunters
Home Shopping Game
Cosby You Bet Your Life (but loved how Adam Sandler spoofed it on SNL with its own zazzum flip)
Hollywood Squares with Whoopi
Temptation "All New Sale of the Century"-Miss the classic buzzers
annoying reruns of Lane Chain Reaction
Turn It Up-bad replacement of the MTV classic Remote Control
any version of Finders Keepers after Wesley Eure

Ian Wallis

« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2008, 11:51:52 AM »
Spin Off! So bad, it didn't go the distance of its 13 week trial. !

Maybe Spin-Off wasn't the best show ever devised, but after all these years I actually wouldn't mind seeing that one again.  I only have very vague memories of it as I don't recall watching it that often in the summer of 1975.  I guess I must have been watching NBC instead!

I wonder if any of those episodes found a few years ago will ever surface in the trade curcuit...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

fishbulb

« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2008, 09:23:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'179384\' date=\'Feb 29 2008, 08:51 AM\']
Spin Off! So bad, it didn't go the distance of its 13 week trial. !

Maybe Spin-Off wasn't the best show ever devised, but after all these years I actually wouldn't mind seeing that one again.  I only have very vague memories of it as I don't recall watching it that often in the summer of 1975.  I guess I must have been watching NBC instead!

I wonder if any of those episodes found a few years ago will ever surface in the trade curcuit...
[/quote]

My memories of the game play are pretty vague, but I really liked the theme music.  It's still going through my head now, having been reminded of the show.

TenPoundHammer

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2008, 12:26:45 AM »
Here are my picks, in no order:

*Deal or No Deal -- Made it through about 1/2 ep; the melodrama just makes it unberable.

*It's Your Chance of a Lifetime -- It was just a very lame and uninspired WWTBaM? ripoff.

*National Lampoon's Funny Money -- Not once did I ever laugh in the few snippets I saw.

*Set for Life -- My God, this was lame. It was like a dumbed-down DoND, if that's possible.

*Friend or Foe? -- I'd watch it just long enough to get a good look at Kennedy. Then I'd flip to something else.

*Jumble -- The only thing that was interesting about the ep I saw was that one of the scrambled answers was "narf". Other than that, a total snooze.

And not quite a game show, but:

*Survivor -- Are my mom and I the only two people on the planet who panned this show from Day One? I just plain do not like it.

Also, I'm probably gonna catch hell for this, but I have a very hard time sitting through those stodgy old 1950s and 1960s panel games without falling asleep. They're solid formats and well respected games, but most panel games from this era just don't sit well with me.

/still DYING of curiosity to see how bad TTD'90 was

toetyper

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2008, 03:25:37 PM »
/still DYING of curiosity to see how bad TTD'90 was

i hope YOU WILL someday

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2008, 03:37:04 PM »
[quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'179477\' date=\'Mar 1 2008, 12:25 PM\']
i hope YOU WILL someday[/quote]
Where'd this come from?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

jalman

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2008, 03:56:25 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'179481\' date=\'Mar 1 2008, 03:37 PM\']
Where'd this come from?
[/quote]
Methinks our friend is entering the horror-writing business. :)

toetyper

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2008, 04:12:52 PM »
[quote name=\'jalman\' post=\'179483\' date=\'Mar 1 2008, 03:56 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'179481\' date=\'Mar 1 2008, 03:37 PM\']
Where'd this come from?
[/quote]
Methinks our friend is entering the horror-writing business. :)
[/quote]

i couldnt figiure  out how to get YOU WIN into a response so i improvised

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2008, 04:38:11 PM »
[quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'179487\' date=\'Mar 1 2008, 01:12 PM\']
i couldnt figiure  out how to get YOU WIN into a response so i improvised
[/quote]
Oh, ok. That's a little better that what I originally inferred. Carry on. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2008, 07:57:01 PM »
[quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'179440\' date=\'Feb 29 2008, 09:26 PM\']*Survivor -- Are my mom and I the only two people on the planet who panned this show from Day One? I just plain do not like it.[/quote]What exactly don't you like about it? In the beginning, I watched because I liked the challenges, and the whole voting and island life didn't do anything for me. As I kept watching the show, it all fell into place.

Also, I'm probably gonna catch hell for this, but I have a very hard time sitting through those stodgy old 1950s and 1960s panel games without falling asleep. They're solid formats and well respected games, but most panel games from this era just don't sit well with me.
Not even To Tell the Truth?
Travis L. Eberle

TenPoundHammer

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2008, 08:53:29 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'179521\' date=\'Mar 1 2008, 07:57 PM\']
[quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'179440\' date=\'Feb 29 2008, 09:26 PM\']*Survivor -- Are my mom and I the only two people on the planet who panned this show from Day One? I just plain do not like it.[/quote]What exactly don't you like about it? In the beginning, I watched because I liked the challenges, and the whole voting and island life didn't do anything for me. As I kept watching the show, it all fell into place.[/quote]

For one thing, I don't like the idea of voting off; this is one of the many reasons I hated The Weakest Link as well. I kind of like the general idea of Survivor, but I just don't care for the execution of it; too often, it feels very cut-throat to me.

[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'179521\' date=\'Mar 1 2008, 07:57 PM\']
Not even To Tell the Truth?
[/quote]

For the most part, it's just the 1950s and 1960s versions of IGaS, WML?, TTTT, etc. are usually too dull for my tastes; I've seen a few clips of them here and there, and even have a few of them on tape -- and I just have a hard time watching them because it seems like they just take the game way too seriously, and hardly ever joke around.

I seem to get the impression that once those shows got into the 1970s, the people involved started to have more fun -- cracking more jokes without detracting from the game, having stories that might have been just a little on the PG side, etc. Because of those reasons, I find newer incarnations of those panel shows to be more watchable.

Note that this is just my observation as a 20-year-old (21 on 3/10) who has watched various snippets and episodes scattered throughout the years. I'm sure I may have missed some real humdingers from the "older" era and/or some duds from the "newer" era.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2008, 09:03:55 PM »
I would think if someone was going to find one of the B&W panel games "unstodgy" enough to enjoy, it would be Secret. It's by far my favorite of the era.
@lambertman

joker316

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2008, 09:50:46 PM »
I agree, Secret is the best of the three in that era. I always felt that WML was the more erudite and formal show, while IGAS was more for the fun and silliness. TTTT was somewhere  in between. When all were on in the 70's, things were a lot looser by design (see Gil Fates' book about WML).
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

geno57

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2008, 04:06:32 AM »
[quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'179522\' date=\'Mar 1 2008, 07:53 PM\']
I'm sure I may have missed some real humdingers from the "older" era and/or some duds from the "newer" era.
[/quote]

For those who require titties (or whatever) in order to enjoy a panel show, you might appreciate this titbit from the '50s WML (1955, IIRC).  The female challenger's line was that she made zippers.  After many nowhere-leading answers, and four completely befuddled panelists, Steve Allen asked something along the lines of, "Would this device be something that a good secretary might be adept at operating?"

The audience laughed hysterically for what must have been a full minute, baffling the celebs even further.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 04:12:38 AM by geno57 »