Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Game Shows you just couldn't watch  (Read 17391 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
The Game Shows you just couldn't watch
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 01:00:22 PM »
Agreed on Boggle. Got one in a trade just to jog my memory of the interactive block...managed 1 and a 1/2 rounds before I skipped ahead to the playbreaks and bonus final round. Also:

Show Me The Money
50 Grand Slam
Set for Life

And going back to pilots like Mike said, I'd throw in the Ludden TJW pilot and the Jim Lange "21" attempt. Both were curiosities, I got to see a full game, then the novelty wore off.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Chief-O

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 01:33:05 PM »
Most anything that's come out in primetime the last 2 years or so.

There are probably some older ones here and there, but I couldn't think of them at the moment.
.....and it goes like this!!!

lobster

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 01:48:10 PM »
Original 3s a Crowd = worst game ever .. how anyone greenlit the concept of trying to raise intrigue and scandal out of businessmen who happen to have hotter secretaries than their wives is so ridiculously puzzling.

Joker! Joker! Joker! = fixed, fixed, fixed!   :D ... well, perhaps it wasn't "fixed" per S&P definition, but 80% of each reel must have contained a Joker then ..

and on that note, pretty much any mainstream game show that has a "kid's week" is somewhat boring television for adults..  Even my beloved Jeopardy is pretty boring to watch when they have kids' (8,9 & 10) week.  Maybe for kids it's great TV, but I'm curious to know if ratings drop a little amongst adults during such weeks.

Whammy! = 2nd worst game ever, entirely unwatchable.. contestants were classic GSN-grade DOND hyper-idiotic.. and the fact that the double-whammies simply meant that they got crap dropped onto their heads was really just.. stupid. :D  (it's weird how the game play was virtually identical to the great PYL, but yet everything else about Whammy! made it so far removed)

LObs

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 02:01:53 PM »
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'179274\' date=\'Feb 28 2008, 10:48 AM\']
Original 3s a Crowd = worst game ever .. how anyone greenlit the concept of trying to raise intrigue and scandal out of businessmen who happen to have hotter secretaries than their wives is so ridiculously puzzling.[/quote]
I thought the whole *point* of a secretary is that she be hotter than yer wife. ;)
Whammy! = 2nd worst game ever, entirely unwatchable.. contestants were classic GSN-grade DOND hyper-idiotic.. and the fact that the double-whammies simply meant that they got crap dropped onto their heads was really just.. stupid. :D  (it's weird how the game play was virtually identical to the great PYL, but yet everything else about Whammy! made it so far removed)
They thought they could strip features from Press Your Luck and have the game stand on it's own. What they proved is that Press Your Luck isn't much of a game and there were other things (like a big honkin' electronic game board) that made the show successful.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 04:06:49 PM »
And don't blame Chuck for "Baby Game."  Can't remember who, since my "Encyclopedia of TV Game Shows" and "Encyclopedia of Daytime Television" are nowhere near me, but I know it wasn't Chuck for the simple reason that it was shot in New York, not LA.

bricon

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 04:49:47 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'179290\' date=\'Feb 28 2008, 04:06 PM\']
And don't blame Chuck for "Baby Game."  Can't remember who, since my "Encyclopedia of TV Game Shows" and "Encyclopedia of Daytime Television" are nowhere near me, but I know it wasn't Chuck for the simple reason that it was shot in New York, not LA.
[/quote]

Baby Game was a Bob Stivers Production.

alfonzos

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 05:06:18 PM »
The Chamber was the first title to spring to my mind.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2008, 06:05:11 PM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' post=\'179297\' date=\'Feb 28 2008, 02:49 PM\']
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'179290\' date=\'Feb 28 2008, 04:06 PM\']
[/quote]

Baby Game was a Bob Stivers Production.
[/quote]

I stand corrected... CB is off the hook for that one.  But I knew the blame had to go **somewhere**!   :^)

-Kevin
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 06:05:43 PM by TwoInchQuad »

HairMetalLives

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2008, 06:45:26 PM »
There are quite a few for me. Some of the ones that haven't been named yet:

-All-Star Blitz
-Break the Bank '85
-Double Dare 2000
-Double Up
-Family Challenge
-Idiot Savants
-Slime Time
-Wild & Crazy Kids '02
-Wild Animal Games

I know I'm in the minority big time here, I actually like "Small Talk."

Ian Wallis

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2008, 06:54:31 PM »
Out of over 500 game shows ever on TV, there's bound to be a few here and there that we don't like.  For me, a couple that come to mind:

GSN's Wintuition

and more recently

Moment of Truth - I watched the first episode and have no interest in watching it again
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

aaron sica

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2008, 07:57:33 PM »
The only game show I couldn't watch is also the one that bored me to sleep - "Scattergories".

joker316

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2008, 08:16:17 PM »
Spin Off!  So bad, it didn't go the distance of its 13 week trial. And, also, pretty much any remake in the last ten years!
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

TimK2003

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2008, 09:20:22 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'179278\' date=\'Feb 28 2008, 03:01 PM\']
They thought they could strip features from Press Your Luck and have the game stand on it's own. What they proved is that Press Your Luck isn't much of a game and there were other things (like a big honkin' electronic game board) that made the show successful.
[/quote]

Along the same lines...

Big Deal -- Fox tried to make "Let's Make A Deal" hip for the GenXers, and instead turned it into a "Truth Or Consequences" on acid (i.e. throwing baseballs at your own home, hoping to break enough windows to win a fabulous prize is nowhere near Monty's Money Machine).

and along that line...

The most recent version of LMAD w/ Billy Bush.  That first episode sooo looked like a scripted pilot with seasoned SAG actors as the "chosen ones" to be the contestants.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 09:21:29 PM by TimK2003 »

toddyo

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2008, 11:05:13 PM »
Wow...here goes:

Whammy
LMAD w/Billy Bush
Friend or Foe
Most GSN originals
The Neighbors
3's a Crowd
Match Game (Ross Shafer version)
Hollywood Squares/Match Game Hour
and the ever popular "Fantasy!"

Fedya

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2008, 11:36:17 PM »
Has nobody mentioned The Thousand Dollar Bee?
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post