Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: toughest/easiest million  (Read 77337 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
toughest/easiest million
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2008, 03:57:04 AM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'178677\' date=\'Feb 23 2008, 09:57 PM\']
I'm sorry, but I'm a fan of any putdown that involves either Patrick Stewart or Gene Wilder[/quote]
Dale gets it. Pop-culture references FTW.
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'178680\' date=\'Feb 23 2008, 10:26 PM\']
Mountain Dew is more of an orange soda than a lemon-lime, but your point still stands.[/quote]
Depends on which one you're drinking. The bog-standard Mountain Dew is most definitely a lemon-limeish citrus drink. That Game Fuel stuff they did to help pimp Halo 3 (and subsequently deployed in every Microsoft kitchen EXCEPT the ones in my building, despite c**kteasing me with a "Coming soon!" sticker) was definitely closer to orange soda.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 03:57:41 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jay Temple

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2008, 08:38:32 AM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'178679\' date=\'Feb 24 2008, 12:22 AM\']Basically, I love Coke and hate Pepsi, almost as much as I hate it when I go to a restaurant and discover they only have Pepsi products and the waitress just gives you a look of helplessness, as if to tell you she wasn't the one who chose which distributor to go with, and you want to smack her for that patronizing look, but then you realize she's just trying to be nice, so you order a Mountain Dew, even though Mountain Dew doesn't do anything for anyone soda-wise, and there isn't a food on God's green earth that goes well with Mountain Dew and never will be (except maybe certain Mexican dishes, but you'd have to stretch), and now you've got a great big glass of lemon-lime sadness sitting on your table whose smell reminds you it's time to mop the kitchen floor... y'know what?  I just like Coke better.
[/quote]
Lately I've discovered that you can get a Dr. Pepper at a lot of these places, which is at least something of an improvement. Of course, that makes it even more depressing when you go someplace where even that's not an option.

ETA: I forgot to say, I have a problem comparing the difficulty of a $1,000,000 win on Survivor to other shows, because it's guaranteed to happen exactly once in each cycle. How do you compare that to a show where, theoretically, it's possible for every contestant to win it?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 08:41:34 AM by Jay Temple »
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

ClockGameJohn

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2008, 08:53:54 AM »
Meh, as for the toughest...

Ask me in a few weeks.  Or maybe next week.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
toughest/easiest million
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2008, 09:02:55 AM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'178679\' date=\'Feb 24 2008, 01:22 AM\']Basically, I love Coke and hate Pepsi...[/quote]Are you from a Southern state by chance?  Just wondering; this got brought up at work one day, and it seems far more common down South than up here.
The bog-standard Mountain Dew is most definitely a lemon-limeish citrus drink.
Gonna have to side with Kevin here...considering one of the ingredients in Mountain Dew is OJ (concentrated, I believe), I think it tastes far closer to Minute Maid or Sunkist than a Sprite or a 7up (which tastes like shit since they went "all natural")[quote name=\''Jay Temple'\']Lately I've discovered that you can get a Dr. Pepper at a lot of these places, which is at least something of an improvement. Of course, that makes it even more depressing when you go someplace where even that's not an option.[/quote]I think it has something to do with who is the Dr. Pepper distributor in the area.  I think you're far more likely to see Dr. Pepper with a Pepsi fountain as opposed to a Coke one, since Coke has their own variant (Mr. Pibb).  Pepsi's equivalent went bust (Dr. Slice).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 09:04:57 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Fedya

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2008, 10:52:38 AM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'178679\' date=\'Feb 24 2008, 01:22 AM\']
so you order a Mountain Dew, even though Mountain Dew doesn't do anything for anyone soda-wise, and there isn't a food on God's green earth that goes well with Mountain Dew and never will be (except maybe certain Mexican dishes, but you'd have to stretch),
[/quote]
Would you prefer Mountain Dew or crab juice?
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

jalman

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2008, 11:32:59 AM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'178697\' date=\'Feb 24 2008, 10:52 AM\']
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'178679\' date=\'Feb 24 2008, 01:22 AM\']
so you order a Mountain Dew, even though Mountain Dew doesn't do anything for anyone soda-wise, and there isn't a food on God's green earth that goes well with Mountain Dew and never will be (except maybe certain Mexican dishes, but you'd have to stretch),
[/quote]
Would you prefer Mountain Dew or crab juice?
[/quote]
One of those choices is really gross.  Ewwww.

I'll take the crab juice.

/BTW, my mother, who's Southern, prefers Pepsi.
//Thankfully, my trip to Manhattan wasn't that rough.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 11:33:31 AM by jalman »

dale_grass

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2008, 01:27:57 PM »
Yeah, there's something I forgot to add.  If there's Dr Pepper on the menu, I go with that, no questions asked.

Shows where a million dollar winner is guaranteed, like Survivor, shouldn't be in the running.  That said, DoND is by far the easiest: it requires no knowledge whatsoever (a near-sighted orangutan with an inner ear infection could win the million) and the odds have sharply increased due to the latest gimmick. (Which reminds me of a possible gimmick: Have a near-sighted orangutan with an inner ear infection throw poo at the models to choose the next case.  Or throw poo at Howie.  Either way, I'd start watching again.)  The hardest million is hard to call.  You could get a string of questions on Millionaire that are easy for you, or your celebrity partner on Password could be an out-and-out moron.  I'll let more learned people decide this one.

ObSimpsonsReference: "Ow, my eye!  I'm not supposed to get pudding in it!"

\And I'm from Minnesota, so I prefer "pop" over "soda."  So what?  Big whoop.  Ya wanna fight about it?
\\Damn, a new set of references.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 01:29:51 PM by dale_grass »

clemon79

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2008, 01:42:46 PM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'178715\' date=\'Feb 24 2008, 10:27 AM\']
\And I'm from Minnesota, so I prefer "pop" over "soda."  So what?  Big whoop.  Ya wanna fight about it?[/quote]
They have a hard-on about this in Washington, too. That and apparently appending the article "the" when referring to a highway number (such as "when I go to work in the morning I take the 522 over the top of the lake") marks you as a Californian, which annoys them because a lot of people think that Californians (never mind that a lot of the migration to the area has been from OTHER states, too) are responsible for ruining their state.

/which is why I do it at EVERY opportunity
//suck it, locals
///you'd still be pulling threads out of your sweaters if it wasn't for us

Matt Ottinger

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2008, 02:00:46 PM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'178715\' date=\'Feb 24 2008, 01:27 PM\']
 That said, DoND is by far the easiest: it requires no knowledge whatsoever (a near-sighted orangutan with an inner ear infection could win the million) and the odds have sharply increased due to the latest gimmick.
[/quote]
Interesting that you would call DoND "by far the easiest" when it's just about the only significant show with a million dollar prize that HASN'T been given away.  It's certainly the easiest show to play, and whoever eventually wins the million will arguably have done the least to earn it, but as I said earlier in this very thread, the fact that they're loading the board with million dollar cases and STILL can't give the grand prize away ought to show you just how HARD it is to win a million on the show.

/Oh, and the Picard thing is perfect as it is.  Pop culture rules.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2008, 02:06:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'178696\' date=\'Feb 24 2008, 09:02 AM\']
I think it has something to do with who is the Dr. Pepper distributor in the area.  I think you're far more likely to see Dr. Pepper with a Pepsi fountain as opposed to a Coke one, since Coke has their own variant (Mr. Pibb).  
[/quote]
I always found that one interesting...in my former life I worked at a Wendy's, who, like many other fast-food restaurants, serves Coke products. Yet, Dr. Pepper is always at the fountain as well, but I rarely see Mr. Pibb.

In college, the soda vs. pop almost started a few fights.

/Not literally
//Those Midwesterners take their pop seriously!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2008, 02:17:07 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'178717\' date=\'Feb 24 2008, 10:42 AM\']
They have a hard-on about this in Washington, too. That and apparently appending the article "the" when referring to a highway number (such as "when I go to work in the morning I take the 522 over the top of the lake") marks you as a Californian, which annoys them because a lot of people think that Californians (never mind that a lot of the migration to the area has been from OTHER states, too) are responsible for ruining their state.
[/quote]
This made me lol, because when I do the traffic on my radio show, I often say "The 520".

I also lol'd at your saying "the 522." I know it changes from Lake City Way in to Bothell Way at the city limit, but I've still never heard anyone call it the 522. :)

Speaking of the 522, it turns in to I-5 at around 75th while it's still Lake City Way, and they call that the Bothell Way Interchange. What kinda crap is that? :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 02:18:43 PM by whoserman »

clemon79

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2008, 02:17:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'178719\' date=\'Feb 24 2008, 11:00 AM\']
/Oh, and the Picard thing is perfect as it is.  Pop culture rules.
[/quote]
Which means, to Mr. Palmer:

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/673/hairaftersk5.jpg

:D

Jay Temple

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2008, 02:26:25 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'178721\' date=\'Feb 24 2008, 01:06 PM\']In college, the soda vs. pop almost started a few fights.

/Not literally
//Those Midwesterners take their pop seriously!
[/quote]
St. Louis, my area,  has been called an island of soda in a sea of pop.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

tpirfan28

toughest/easiest million
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2008, 02:53:26 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'178721\' date=\'Feb 24 2008, 02:06 PM\']
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'178696\' date=\'Feb 24 2008, 09:02 AM\']
I think it has something to do with who is the Dr. Pepper distributor in the area.  I think you're far more likely to see Dr. Pepper with a Pepsi fountain as opposed to a Coke one, since Coke has their own variant (Mr. Pibb).  
[/quote]
I always found that one interesting...in my former life I worked at a Wendy's, who, like many other fast-food restaurants, serves Coke products. Yet, Dr. Pepper is always at the fountain as well, but I rarely see Mr. Pibb.
[/quote]
I work for Coke, and still don't know why Dr. Pepper is prefered over Pibb in fountains.  For some reason, I want to say Pibb syrup isn't made...but I'm probably off base with that one.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
toughest/easiest million
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'178732\' date=\'Feb 24 2008, 02:53 PM\']
I work for Coke, and still don't know why Dr. Pepper is prefered over Pibb in fountains.  For some reason, I want to say Pibb syrup isn't made...but I'm probably off base with that one.
[/quote]

I would lean that way myself, considering that the Johnny Rockets nearest to me serves Pibb while every other Coke fountain outlet that chooses to serve Dr. Pepper does (not all of 'em do, for the record).

/Rockets is a ripoff
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022