Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR (Cullen contestant) looking for episode  (Read 2176 times)

Adam Nedeff

TPIR (Cullen contestant) looking for episode
« on: February 11, 2008, 10:51:48 PM »
Instead of the usual "I was on a game show in 1976 do you have it" request, I was given a shocking amount of detail right out of the gate, so I'm hoping somebody can help these folks out. Here's what they remember.

It was a pair of nighttime episodes. She remembers it being around August 1963 but I think she might be mistaken on that. Her husband was the onstage contestant, his name is Shirl J. Hoffman. On his first week he won an amphicar and silver service. The silver service came with a bonus game, for which his wife Harol was brought onstage to play with him. They won $1,000 cash and 1 million Triple-S blue stamps. That was enough to make him champion. The following week, he won luggage and his wife was brought onstage for another bonus game, an "unscramble the letters" game in which she won a cruise.

Anybody got those?

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 05:34:39 PM »
Not too much help, but just to halt any possible hopes, there are no 1963 episodes included on the upcoming TPiR DVD release.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 05:55:20 PM »
However, back when GSN was airing the classic Cullen shows along with the Barker ones, they did air most of what they had, and I know at least some of them were from 1963.  It doesn't look like I have that particular episode (there are one or two I still need to check), but if she's anywhere close on the date, GSN probably aired them and somebody who was a more avid taper than me might have them.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 05:55:38 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 07:28:15 PM »
I can only say that if it was from the last months of the NBC run leading into the beginning of the ABC run they're not on any of the Cullen TPIRs I was taping regularly back then.    When the "Dark Period" began, Cullen TPIR was moved to the weekends in a block with three other Cullen shows (Hot Potato, Chain Reaction and Pass The Buck) and they were already in mid-1963 at that point and got to the last NBC night show and then the six ABC night shows that were part of the cycle.     I'll recheck my copies of these last NBC ones since they're from a time when GSN would still flash what month and year the original broadcast date was, but I do know from my contestant listing that Mr. Hoffman was not there.

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 07:08:31 PM »
I also checked with someone who has a vast Cullen TPiR collection and the shows from August 1963 were 2, 16, 30 and none list Hoffman.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 08:27:14 PM »
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'177909\' date=\'Feb 14 2008, 08:08 PM\']
I also checked with someone who has a vast Cullen TPiR collection and the shows from August 1963 were 2, 16, 30 and none list Hoffman.
[/quote]

Could you check back with them and see if they have a Hoffman at all? They weren't all that sure on the date.

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 09:38:59 PM »
Will do sir.  I do believe they said that 63 was very rarely rerun.

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 04:44:27 PM »
No Hoffman episodes in his vast Cullen TPiR collection.