Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime question  (Read 6492 times)

PeterMarshallFan

$1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime question
« on: June 18, 2003, 04:08:37 PM »
His name, IIRC, was Mark something. He announced COAL before Johnny G. did. After Googling on it, the best I was able to come up with was Mark Driscoll (NYSI 89) but 2/3 of the posters in that thread had doubts it was him. Has this ever been cleared up, or is Johnny's predecessor still as well known as that other announcer on Yahtzee?

ChuckNet

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 11:57:40 AM »
Has this ever been cleared up, or is Johnny's predecessor still as well known as that other announcer on Yahtzee?

I actually have an ep of Yahtzee where Larry Hovis wasn't on the panel, yet it was clearly him announcing...has it been confirmed that there was actually another announcer?

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 12:00:04 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jun 19 2003, 08:57 AM\'] I actually have an ep of Yahtzee where Larry Hovis wasn't on the panel, yet it was clearly him announcing... [/quote]
 Never having seen Yahtzee, were there announcements of players and such that would have had to have been done live? Otherwise, Hovis could cart up all of his blurbs, he could be home suckin' on a drink served in a pineapple and nobody would be the wiser...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2003, 12:06:40 PM »
It was reported in ATGS that Hovis didn't always announce Yahtzee, though he was a semi-regular panelist on most or all of the shows he did announce(like SHadoe was on Davidson HS at the time). An unnamed announcer was used on the episodes Hovis didn't announce. Yahtzee(at least on the episodes on the trading circuit) didn't have the announcer introduce the players, Peter did so himself IIRC.

Bob Zager

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2003, 12:22:43 PM »
The man preceding Johnny Gilbert as announcer on $1M COAL was Marc Summers!

He not only has his name listed that way in the Encyclopedia of TV Game Shows, but I even recall seeing Jim Lange appear during a game show week of Couch Potatoes, and it was mentioned that the two of them worked together on COAL.

Summers all was the \"announcer,\" a few years ago on the game show I Can't Believe You Said That!, hosted by John Salley, and airing on what was then known as the Fox Family Channel.

zachhoran

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2003, 12:27:23 PM »
Marc's announcing career goes back 13 years before $1 Mil CoaL and Hot Streak(which he subbed for Gene Wood on on some episodes), to a May 1973 show or shows of CBS TJW. We'd have heard Marc in this gig if GSN would have kept CBS TJW on just a tad longer than they did(they ended in April 1973)

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2003, 04:22:32 PM »
That's some interesting stuff! Thanks for the info! (Sorry, I had to say that)

For the record, the unnamed announcer on Yahtzee was used on the eps. where Larry Hovis wasn't credited w/ the show but Ralph Andrews was. (Apparently they didn't get along and this led to alot of the show's problems, including the bad 2nd bonus round, the move to the Showboat, and the eventual bankruptcy)

ChuckNet

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2003, 11:50:20 AM »
The man preceding Johnny Gilbert as announcer on $1M COAL was Marc Summers!

He not only has his name listed that way in the Encyclopedia of TV Game Shows, but I even recall seeing Jim Lange appear during a game show week of Couch Potatoes, and it was mentioned that the two of them worked together on COAL.

Ah...thanks for the info! The 1st CoaL announcer doesn't sound like Summers (very deep voice, nothing even resembling him), so I assumed the EoTVGS listing was an error. Glad we cleared that up. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")