Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Double Dare '76  (Read 13482 times)

That Don Guy

Double Dare '76
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2008, 08:45:02 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'182955\' date=\'Mar 31 2008, 09:23 PM\']
I'd like to point out for the record that last night's double feature displayed some of the most stupefyingly bad strategy ever seen in taking on the Spoilers. As much as you can't afford to play conservatively with your pass allotment, you can't afford to give away clues like "The Creation of Man" for Michaelangelo, or the "Show ends with one man clapping" for Laugh-in.[/quote]
And I'd like to point out a bit of prescience; one of the contestants phrased two of her answers in the form of a question, seven years before Alex would be hosting a show where that was the object.

-- Don

Matt Ottinger

Double Dare '76
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2008, 11:51:29 AM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'183005\' date=\'Apr 1 2008, 08:45 PM\']
And I'd like to point out a bit of prescience; one of the contestants phrased two of her answers in the form of a question, seven years before Alex would be hosting a show where that was the object.[/quote]
I'm afraid all you're pointing out is a lack of a sense of history.  Art Fleming's version of Jeopardy! was still very fresh in viewers' minds in 1976, and accidentally wording your response in the form of a question was not uncommon on other Q&A shows of the era.  The fact that Alex is the host of Double Dare and would go on to host the remake of Jeopardy! is much more coincidence than prescience.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

Double Dare '76
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2008, 05:20:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'183062\' date=\'Apr 2 2008, 10:51 AM\']
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'183005\' date=\'Apr 1 2008, 08:45 PM\']
And I'd like to point out a bit of prescience; one of the contestants phrased two of her answers in the form of a question, seven years before Alex would be hosting a show where that was the object.[/quote]
I'm afraid all you're pointing out is a lack of a sense of history.  Art Fleming's version of Jeopardy! was still very fresh in viewers' minds in 1976, and accidentally wording your response in the form of a question was not uncommon on other Q&A shows of the era.  The fact that Alex is the host of Double Dare and would go on to host the remake of Jeopardy! is much more coincidence than prescience.
[/quote]

Besides, what I'd want to know is if Trebek got all huffy over it (like Jack Barry) or make a joke out of it (like Tom Kennedy's "Isn't that right, Jack Pardo?").

splinkynip

Double Dare '76
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2008, 09:00:30 AM »
For those of you watching regularly like me, did GSN skip another show or two this past weekend?  I didn't recognize either player on this SUnday's (4/13) first show.

joshg

Double Dare '76
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2008, 05:40:47 PM »
[quote name=\'splinkynip\' post=\'184113\' date=\'Apr 16 2008, 06:00 AM\']
For those of you watching regularly like me, did GSN skip another show or two this past weekend?  I didn't recognize either player on this SUnday's (4/13) first show.
[/quote]

Yes, I noticed that too. My completely uneducated guess is that they skipped one ep. Also, by my rough calculations, we're almost halfway through the run. The show lasted 20 weeks (12/13/76 - 4/29/77 per the Wiki) and they've aired (more or less) 10 weeks of shows so far.

Josh
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

Jay Temple

Double Dare '76
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2008, 08:59:16 AM »
I checked the PDF's at Beverly's website. They skipped exactly one episode.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

MAGameShowFan

Double Dare '76
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2008, 07:19:45 PM »
How come they only show DD on Early Monday Morning? Didn't it Now You See It only run for one season and yet that is on 4 nights a week. I don't get it. They should put Double Dare on nightly at 1AM and have it followed by Now You See It at 1:30AM. They should move Trivia Trap to the Early Monday Morning slot that Double Dare is on now. It's not fair to watch two episodes of DD and then have to wait a whole week for them to show the next two episodes.

snowpeck

Double Dare '76
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2008, 08:18:39 PM »
[quote name=\'MAGameShowFan\' post=\'186345\' date=\'May 19 2008, 07:19 PM\']
How come they only show DD on Early Monday Morning? Didn't it Now You See It only run for one season and yet that is on 4 nights a week. I don't get it. They should put Double Dare on nightly at 1AM and have it followed by Now You See It at 1:30AM. They should move Trivia Trap to the Early Monday Morning slot that Double Dare is on now. It's not fair to watch two episodes of DD and then have to wait a whole week for them to show the next two episodes.
[/quote]

Around 300 episodes were produced of NYSI.  96 were produced of of DD, and it now seems only around 70 of those exist.  Agreed that Trivia Trap would have worked better on weekends though.

Greg
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 08:18:53 PM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)