Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Double Dare '76  (Read 13477 times)

cmjb13

Double Dare '76
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 08:13:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Allstar87\' post=\'179340\' date=\'Feb 28 2008, 10:59 PM\']
The case is Winston v. National Broadcasting Co. (1991). It shows up on FindLaw, but registration's required there.
[/quote]
You don't need to register. Use bugmenot.com

Since their main page seems to be temporarily unavailable, use the following info to see it:

Username: none@domain.com
Password:  flpass
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

mmb5

Double Dare '76
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 12:36:13 PM »
Interesting read, although if he had to do it all over again, he should have omitted the 3 For the Money appearance.  Who would have known?  He's probably been blackballed for this, which is too bad, he is truly a fascinating contestant to watch.

I also like that he's not busted by the network, but by someone who saw the episodes at home and knew he was on Double Dare.  Thank God there's nobody like that around here...

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

KWJCDon

Double Dare '76
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 08:43:17 AM »
Great...due to a cable outage here in Key West, I did not get the episodes that were aired this past Sunday. Can anyone give me a quick recap? Was one of these the one where Ray walked out as they introed Alex? And...Am I allowed to ask if AGTOT/D?

Thanks all,
Don

MikeK

• Martha!
Double Dare '76
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 08:56:04 AM »
[quote name=\'KWJCDon\' post=\'179857\' date=\'Mar 4 2008, 08:43 AM\']Was one of these the one where Ray walked out as they introed Alex?[/quote]
That was the 2nd episode on Sunday.

A quick recap:  Ray beat Sarabeth (Sassy) $550-50 and got $100 on the Spoilers.  Ray narrowly beat his next opponent, $500-$300, IIRC.  Ray was in a double dare situation which would've cost Ray his championship if he missed, the only such situation I've seen Ray in thus far.  He won $700 at the spoilers, even though he used all 4 passes in the first 5 clues about Robert Louis Stevenson.  Ray is at $6950 and will meet a new challenger at the start of the next program.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 08:56:13 AM by MikeK »

Master Shake

Double Dare '76
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 11:50:20 PM »
Excuse my ignorance, but what does AGTOT/D stand for?  I can't find any reference to it anywhere else on the internet.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Double Dare '76
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2008, 06:09:33 AM »
[quote name=\'Master Shake\' post=\'180020\' date=\'Mar 4 2008, 08:50 PM\']
Excuse my ignorance, but what does AGTOT/D stand for?  I can't find any reference to it anywhere else on the internet.
[/quote]
Yeah, 'cuz it's kinda an in-thing. Anyone Got That On Tape / Disc.

Please endeavor not to use it, as some find it severely annoying.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Master Shake

Double Dare '76
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2008, 05:47:22 PM »
Don't worry, I'm not planning to use it.  I get the impression from reading here it's not well liked (I do a lot more reading than posting usually, as you can probably work out!)  Just that I'd never heard it before and couldn't for the life of me figure out what it meant.

Thanks for the info / explanation.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Double Dare '76
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2008, 11:16:46 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'179394\' date=\'Feb 29 2008, 09:36 AM\']Interesting read, although if he had to do it all over again, he should have omitted the 3 For the Money appearance.  Who would have known?  He's probably been blackballed for this, which is too bad, he is truly a fascinating contestant to watch.[/quote] I take a different perspective: he should have listed all three appearances on his records. From what I've read, he's a fantastic contestant, and he won the cash jackpot early on in Sale's run, but the rules are in place for a reason, and he got his own back. He lied, he got caught. No soup for him.

What's strange is that it took eight years of wrangling to come to that conclusion, but that could be attributed to the wheels of justice grinding both slow and fine.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 11:17:38 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

BillCullen1

Double Dare '76
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 11:13:12 PM »
This past weekend on DD, there was a first. they went through ALL the clues without getting a correct answer in the main game with both contestants in the booths.  They both knew the answer, they just couldn't come up with Louise Lasser's last name.  Now we know how many clues there are for each subject - ten.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Double Dare '76
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 11:56:05 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'182608\' date=\'Mar 26 2008, 08:13 PM\']This past weekend on DD, there was a first. they went through ALL the clues without getting a correct answer in the main game with both contestants in the booths.  They both knew the answer, they just couldn't come up with Louise Lasser's last name.  Now we know how many clues there are for each subject - ten.[/quote]Did Alex make mention that the Dare or Double Dare was out of play at a particular point?
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

Double Dare '76
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2008, 12:32:32 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'182616\' date=\'Mar 26 2008, 08:56 PM\']
Did Alex make mention that the Dare or Double Dare was out of play at a particular point?
[/quote]
Any contestant who TAKES the Dare or Double Dare after the eighth clue should just lose the money automatically.

Neumms

Double Dare '76
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2008, 11:20:05 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'182619\' date=\'Mar 26 2008, 11:32 PM\']
Any contestant who TAKES the Dare or Double Dare after the eighth clue should just lose the money automatically.
[/quote]

Why? Because by that point it's pretty clear the other player doesn't have an idea, unless the clue is "her name starts with L and rhymes with gasser."

clemon79

Double Dare '76
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2008, 11:31:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'182905\' date=\'Mar 31 2008, 08:20 AM\']
Why? Because by that point it's pretty clear the other player doesn't have an idea, unless the clue is "her name starts with L and rhymes with gasser."
[/quote]
Which is easy for us to figure out, sitting at home, watching both players do the tip-of-their-tongue dance and being able to hear wrong answers, but I suspect somewhat more difficult when sitting in an isolation booth with none of that information. You don't know if you're opponent is genuinely clueless or dancing around it or it's going to come to them at any second, so it's wiser to err on the side of caution, unless it's a throwaway Dare, like when you have a huge lead, a Dare would win the game, and you could care less if they get the fifty bucks.

Plus, you're eight or nine clues deep, where they start banging you over the head with it. Last night's show is a prime example: takes them nine clues to get to the Grand Canyon, and they offer the tenth clue as a Dare, which was something along the lines of "BIG FARKING HOLE IN THE MIDDLE OF ARIZONA." Even Alex knew that offering the Dare was a formality.

Jay Temple

Double Dare '76
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2008, 11:19:49 PM »
Actually, he screwed that up. The contestant who got it did so on a penalty clue, which means that same clue should have been the Dare clue. (I still wouldn't have given the dare, though. It was "Even Evel Knievel wouldn't jump over this one.")

Oh, and since the original topic was which episodes air, I checked Steve Beverly's site. I don't remember the number, but the show that should follow next week's second episode will be skipped.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 11:22:09 PM by Jay Temple »
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Double Dare '76
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2008, 12:23:33 AM »
I'd like to point out for the record that last night's double feature displayed some of the most stupefyingly bad strategy ever seen in taking on the Spoilers. As much as you can't afford to play conservatively with your pass allotment, you can't afford to give away clues like "The Creation of Man" for Michaelangelo, or the "Show ends with one man clapping" for Laugh-in.

And for their effort, the two champions won all of $100 and $200 in the respective bonus games.
Travis L. Eberle