Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Feast of Favorites 2003!  (Read 25132 times)

inturnaround

Feast of Favorites 2003!
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2003, 04:41:51 AM »
Yes, perhaps I am being naive. However, it's one of those things that doesn't hurt to try, so why not see if it can be done? One day not so long ago, MTV had to play \"Hangin' Tough\" by the New Kids on the Block on TRL because a bunch of kids thought it would be funny to do it and see if it could be done. I'm not even suggesting a prank. I'm suggesting doing like the AARP and voting in a bloc so that something interesting (to us) gets aired.

If everyone voted for their favorite shows, then things like J! and WOF surely will get the lion's share of the votes because of their popularity. So, the rest of the marathon is to be filled with the odd show or two that people felt compelled to vote for. IIRC, didn't Bumper Stumpers make it on last year? Why can't we vote as a bloc and get NYSI or Fantasy or Play the Percentages on?

And so what if people want shows on? That's not going to stop due to a silly marathon so it's certainly not a reason not to do this. And who cares about accuracy? It's not going to be accurate, it's not going to be scientific. Legitimacy? It's only legitimate because GSN says it is. Let them decide to change the places of things if they want. If they do so, then I would ask why they bothered asking in the first place.

I doubt we'll affect the top of the list. MG will probably still be up there as will FF and PYL. What I'm saying would probably only change one game near the bottom of the list. I mean, why can't we try? If we make it, then we get a treat. If not, well, better luck next year.

Game show extremists? You make us sound like we're at jihad for game shows. Passion should not be mistaken for blind fanaticism. Why should we be heard more than ordinary fans of GSN? We shouldn't. We should get the same number of votes allowed everyone else. I just advocate using those votes as intelligently as possible, is all. Besides, GSN once asked us to accept Extreme Gong into our hearts, why can't we ask them to accept Extreme Fan into theirs? (Nevermind that we didn't accept EG into ours)

In the end, Dan, it sounds like you care a lot much more than your post says. If you didn't care, you'd wish the project (which I admit has a very minute chance of even coming together much less working) luck and be on your way. From where I sit, methinks you doth protest too much.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2003, 04:45:53 AM by inturnaround »
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Ian Wallis

Feast of Favorites 2003!
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2003, 09:17:35 AM »
I would like to see a Game Show Turkeys marathon for Thanksgiving, starring \"The Fun Factory,\" \"Celebrity Charades,\" \"The Diamond Head Game\" and everyone's favorite, \"Burt Luddin's Love Buffet.\"

Agreed.  That's what's lacking from GSN today.  In the old days, sometimes on Thanksgiving or other holidays, they'd show the more obscure stuff just for the day - just like many of the other cable networks do.  It was a nice treat for fans to see that sort of stuff - and I'm sure that on holidays they don't have most of their regular audience anyway, so why not?  You can't live by the exact same thing all the time - it's nice to mix things up once in a while.

I wonder that if shows like \"Joker's Wild\" make it on the list again this year if GSN will realize it was no fluke and finally relent and put it on the schedule?

Personally, if we do decide as a group to vote for one rare show, my choices would be either \"Bullseye\" or \"Break the Bank\".
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

PeterMarshallFan

Feast of Favorites 2003!
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2003, 09:45:35 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Oct 6 2003, 09:17 AM\']
Personally, if we do decide as a group to vote for one rare show, my choices would be either "Bullseye" or "Break the Bank". [/quote]
 I'll second that.

And BTW, a \"Thanksgiving Turkeys\" marathon was done a couple years ago with unsold pilots like The Riddlers and Monday Night Quarterback. [wish they'd rerun THAT marathon]

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Feast of Favorites 2003!
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2003, 11:36:53 AM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Oct 6 2003, 01:20 AM\'] Since when is it a crime to be an extreme fan? I like game shows and I am not afraid to admit that fact, nor am I ashamed of it.

[/quote]
 \"Extreme\" and \"extremist\" mean two distictly different things in this context.

Hey, if Fantasy is among your favorite shows, go ahead and vote for it. Campaign for it if you like.
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Oct 6 2003, 01:41 AM\']I'm suggesting doing like the AARP and voting in a bloc so that something interesting (to us) gets aired.[/quote]
All things being equal, I'm not a big fan of political action groups for exactly this reason.
Let them decide to change the places of things if they want. If they do so, then I would ask why they bothered asking in the first place.
R-A-T-I-N-G-S. It's a ratings stunt. Don't for a second think different. How many permanent lineup changes came about as a result of last year's FoF? Exactly zero. That right there should tell you how much stock GSN puts in this particular vox populi.
Game show extremists? You make us sound like we're at jihad for game shows.
As a rule, I'm at a jihad against stupid people. That makes up roughly 90% of the population of the planet. So yeah, you can say that I have an issue with the sheeple who refuse to know anything other than WOF.
In the end, Dan, it sounds like you care a lot much more than your post says.
That may be, or it may not be. I can only speak for myself, but I can say unequivocally that I couldn't give a single tin one about the results of the FoF, much less two, but that doesn't stop me from having an opinion about it, and the belief in my convictions to argue that opinion with passion.
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Oct 6 2003, 06:17 AM\']You can't live by the exact same thing all the time - it's nice to mix things up once in a while.[/quote]
You can when you're a TV network. Variety ain't the spice of life for everything.
I wonder that if shows like \"Joker's Wild\" make it on the list again this year if GSN will realize it was no fluke and finally relent and put it on the schedule?
If a #2 (or #3 or whatever the hell it was, don't bother nitpicking it, 'cuz I don't care beyond the fact that it was top 5) showing last year wasn't enough to turn heads, it ain't gonna happen.
And BTW, a \"Thanksgiving Turkeys\" marathon was done a couple years ago with unsold pilots like The Riddlers and Monday Night Quarterback. [wish they'd rerun THAT marathon]
Believe me, you don't. There's a reason they were only pilots. Oy.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dan Sadro

Feast of Favorites 2003!
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2003, 12:10:28 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Oct 6 2003, 03:41 AM\'] I'm not even suggesting a prank. I'm suggesting doing like the AARP and voting in a bloc so that something interesting (to us) gets aired. [/quote]
 If you actually think that what the AARP does is good, or even fair, this conversation is ended.  There is no way that you will understand that messing with a poll that doesn't matter is wrong if you don't think that rigging a national election is okay.

[...]Legitimacy? It's only legitimate because GSN says it is. Let them decide to change the places of things if they want.

Did you actually read what I wrote about legitimacy?  I was talking about our legitimacy as a group of people who love game shows, and how pulling stuff like this is why we deserve the zero respect we get.

In the end, Dan, it sounds like you care a lot much more than your post says.

Did you actually read what I wrote about caring?  I don't care about the results.  That's all I don't care about on this issue.

I am not voting for it just because it is not on the current schedule although that is one of the reasons. The poll is \"Feast of Favorite(s)\". They allow you to vote once a day (at least they did last year). It does not mean you have to pick one show and stick to it.

I don't have an issue with anyone voting for different shows.  I have an issue that you're voting for shows for the wrong reason.  You said earlier -- even though WWTBAM is your favorite show, you're not voting for it because it's on the schedule already.  I have no problem with you voting for Fantasy if it's one of your favorites, but if your intention is to vote only for shows that aren't on GSN, that's where there's a problem.

BTW, what is selfish about voting for your favorite show(s)? Everything! That is the whole purpose for the poll!

Voting for your favorite shows is not selfish.  What is selfish is trying to rig this election to, as someone else said in the thread, make this more palatable to \"us.\"

Timsterino

Feast of Favorites 2003!
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2003, 02:44:06 PM »
Voting for your favorite shows is not selfish.  What is selfish is trying to rig this election to, as someone else said in the thread, make this more palatable to \"us.\"

Again, the mere statement that we are \"rigging\" this election is actually your opinion. How is voting for your favorite show(s) rigging this election? The whole purpose of this poll is to see your favorite shows up there. So again, I ask how is that rigging anything? . Was my post \"C'mon guys let's all vote for Fantasy!\" No. My post stated that I was voting for Fantasy because I could see WWTBAM any day of the schedule.

I don't have an issue with anyone voting for different shows. I have an issue that you're voting for shows for the wrong reason. You said earlier -- even though WWTBAM is your favorite show, you're not voting for it because it's on the schedule already. I have no problem with you voting for Fantasy if it's one of your favorites, but if your intention is to vote only for shows that aren't on GSN, that's where there's a problem

Again. What is wrong with a voting for a show that you have liked in the past because it is not on the schedule? Nothing. It is not like I am rallying the troops to vote for my show. I said nothing of that sort. I think if people have more than one favorite and one of them happens to be on the schedule then they should vote for the one they want to see more. Again, I can see WWTBAM seven days a week so why would I not want to vote for a show that I can see for one day only? What you are stating about it being wrong is only in your opinion. While I will respect your opinion, I do not have to agree with it. I almost feel like it is telling a Democrat to vote Republican because voting Republican is the right way to go or vice-versa.

Tim :-)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2003, 02:51:45 PM by Timsterino »

inturnaround

Feast of Favorites 2003!
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2003, 02:53:45 PM »
Yeah. I'm not advocating rigging anything. All I'm suggesting is that we vote smartly. If you don't want to, you don't have to participate, just don't accuse me of cheating. I will vote no more than the times alloted me by GSN.

The AARP does nothing more than what a political party attempts to do. They advocate a position or a candidate and urge people to vote in that direction. I'm not suggesting that they are good or bad or whatever, I am just saying that the idea of voting as a bloc has been historically and continues to be effective.

I'm also not suggesting that people vote for shows they don't like. I'm merely saying that it's better to vote for a favorite that's rarely seen than an episode of Match Game that will be rerun for the umpteenth time or an episode of WWTBAM that will be on the regular rotation anyway.

I really fail to see anything sinister about what I propose. I just want to see something different for at least a half hour come Turkey Day. How can this be wrong?
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Jimmy Owen

Feast of Favorites 2003!
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2003, 03:10:32 PM »
I don't think there should be any obscurities on the marathon.  It's the \"Feast of Favorites,\" not the \"Feast of Flops.\"  (Although they might try that in future.)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

PeterMarshallFan

Feast of Favorites 2003!
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2003, 03:15:00 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Oct 6 2003, 02:53 PM\'] I really fail to see anything sinister about what I propose. I just want to see something different for at least a half hour come Turkey Day. How can this be wrong? [/quote]
 Nothing wrong with that at all.

I remember someone suggesting awhile back that GSN could possibly use days like Thanksgiving and Super Bowl Sunday [for example] to air the rare stuff as ratings really won't be all that high for the channel those days anyway. I could go for that.

inturnaround

Feast of Favorites 2003!
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2003, 03:25:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 6 2003, 02:10 PM\'] I don't think there should be any obscurities on the marathon.  It's the "Feast of Favorites," not the "Feast of Flops."  (Although they might try that in future.) [/quote]
 Some people's fondest game show memories are of flops, you know.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Jay Temple

Feast of Favorites 2003!
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2003, 04:31:48 PM »
I accuse them of \"rigging\" it in only one sense, and it was self-evident:  \"PYL\" and \"Whammy\" were separate entries, while Pyramid was only one entry.  Likewise, IIRC, Password was a single entry.  They probably assumed that PYL and Whammy would each get enough votes to make the list (and they were right), giving them a full hour of original programming instead of a half-hour of classic and a half-hour of original.  In retrospect, it probably helped Pyramid and Password as well, although not enough in Password's case.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Jay Temple

Feast of Favorites 2003!
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2003, 04:42:44 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Oct 6 2003, 02:25 PM\'] Some people's fondest game show memories are of flops, you know. [/quote]
 \"Go\" and \"Blankety Blanks\" (1975-Bill Cullen), anyone?
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Feast of Favorites 2003!
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2003, 04:52:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 6 2003, 02:10 PM\'] I don't think there should be any obscurities on the marathon.  It's the "Feast of Favorites," not the "Feast of Flops."  (Although they might try that in future.) [/quote]
 Nor is it \"Feast of Zach Horan's favorites\" or \"Feast of Dan Sadro's favorites\"; something many people are failing to recognize..

And no, I'm not calling those two out for any reason, they were the first names that came to mind.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Dan Sadro

Feast of Favorites 2003!
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2003, 05:40:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Oct 6 2003, 01:44 PM\'] I almost feel like it is telling a Democrat to vote Republican because voting Republican is the right way to go or vice-versa. [/quote]
Not really -- all I'm saying is that you should vote for your favorites, irregardless of whether you can see it on the GSN schedule or not.  You don't feel that way, so it's pretty pointless to attempt to argue it.  So, how's the weather?

(inturnaround): The AARP does nothing more than what a political party attempts to do. They advocate a position or a candidate and urge people to vote in that direction. I'm not suggesting that they are good or bad or whatever, I am just saying that the idea of voting as a bloc has been historically and continues to be effective.

Bloc voting abuses the system.  Although it really doesn't matter in this case, because the online GS community is not a strong bloc.

I'm also not suggesting that people vote for shows they don't like. I'm merely saying that it's better to vote for a favorite that's rarely seen than an episode of Match Game that will be rerun for the umpteenth time or an episode of WWTBAM that will be on the regular rotation anyway.

Once again, if you don't see anything wrong with it, there is nothing I can say that will make you change your mind.  Go ahead and waste your votes, just don't complain at the end of the marathon.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2003, 05:41:54 PM by Dan Sadro »

Brandon Brooks

Feast of Favorites 2003!
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2003, 06:50:41 PM »
 Whoever told you that flops = shows rarely seen on GSN should be gagged.

Brandon Brooks