Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN's "Bingo America"  (Read 14224 times)

cmjb13

GSN's "Bingo America"
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2008, 01:40:46 PM »
I tried Pink's for the first time last November. I was warned that there is usually up to an hour wait to place your order. I said there was no way I'd wait that long for a hot dog and I didn't. I believe I was there on a Thursday afternoon and there was barely anyone there. That's when I tried it. I had a Rosie O'Donnell Long Island Dog and a regular hot dog. The regular hot dog was better and I wouldn't go back.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN's "Bingo America"
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2008, 01:50:45 PM »
Wow. And you'd think Rosie would know her way around a hot dog.

/chili and sauerkraut? Ugh.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

toddyo

GSN's "Bingo America"
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2008, 02:00:43 PM »
Oh Chris....Tempting as it is...I won't touch the Rosie line. Guess I'm "flounder"ing.

Allstar87

GSN's "Bingo America"
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2008, 04:18:46 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'183180\' date=\'Apr 3 2008, 12:58 PM\']
And that makes two game shows with Pinks as a booby-prize. The other, class?
[/quote]

*buzz!*

What is "Personals"?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 04:19:10 PM by Allstar87 »

uncamark

GSN's "Bingo America"
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2008, 05:18:13 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'183180\' date=\'Apr 3 2008, 11:58 AM\']
And that makes two game shows with Pinks as a booby-prize. The other, class?
[/quote]

RIGOLETTO!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
GSN's "Bingo America"
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2008, 06:19:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'183159\' date=\'Apr 3 2008, 07:26 AM\']I agree that there ought to be some less-valuable prizes, though I'm not sure I'd go as far as "hot dogs."  (Well, maybe if they were really good hot dogs.  Was sauerkraut included?)[/quote]If the main game prize wasn't $500 plus all the numbers pulled, I'm right there with you. The absolute maximum prize would be $3,349; so I don't mind "You won the game, let's find out what your prize is."

That said, the main game was as banal as just about anything I've seen. Mercifully, I didn't see an occasion where a letter was pulled and both players already had that letter, but it's just as possible that those pulls were edited.  Worse yet was the five-question tiebreaker nipped lock-stock-barrel from You Don't Know Jack. At least they went with the Blockbusters question set-up, so they score a point for that.

But hey, I'd sit through just about anything if $50 was there for me at the end of the half-hour. If there was no play-at-home element, there'd be absolutely no reason for the show to exist.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 07:18:00 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

GSN's "Bingo America"
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2008, 07:21:06 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'183212\' date=\'Apr 3 2008, 03:19 PM\']
Mercifully, I didn't see an occasion where a letter was pulled and both players already had that letter, but it's just as possible that those pulls were edited.[/quote]
This occurred to me as I was watching. I am quite certain they throw out any pull that meets that criteria. (Saves them a few bucks, too...they don't have to pay the pot on a given letter pull when both players have it. I bet they sigh contentedly when the G and the O go.) Especially since it matters not one bit for the purpose of the home bingo game itself....so long as they have one each of B-I-N-G-O (and by the definition of the victory conditions, they have to), they're golden.
If there was no play-at-home element, there'd be absolutely no reason for the show to exist.
And honestly, knowing how the back-end of the play-at-home element works, I have zero interest in that, too. When you're playing bingo "for reals", there is at least a little anticipation as to whether you're going to get the number you need since it's a true random draw and you have your card printed and in front of you before a ball is ever pulled. (Same with the lottery, really, even though I maintain that it's a tax on the stupid.) Here, when you know that they already know what the numbers are for a given game, and basically their computer is simply printing out "YOU WIN" or "YOU LOSE" and just encoding the news in an effort to try to create fake suspense, it's not interesting. Same reason I had zero interest in "playing along" on NBN.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 07:21:37 PM by clemon79 »

tvwxman

GSN's "Bingo America"
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2008, 08:15:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'183048\' date=\'Apr 2 2008, 08:42 AM\']
Seriously, BA is harmless, has playalong, and has more to it than watching numbers pulled out of a giant hopper.  Really, nothing much to complain about.  Nothing I'll watch with any regularity, either.
[/quote]
Watched and played along twice now.

It's MUCH better than NBN, in that there seems (to me) , more vested interest in playing along. IIRC, if you won on NBN, your name went into a hopper for a major prize, right? Here, i'll take the $50.

That said, it's the ONLY reason to watch. The show is slow, Duffy is dry, and the overall quality of the production seems amateurish. There were times the audio levels of the music drowned out what Duffy was saying to the audience. C'mon....this isn't public access!

It seems that every time I pull for a GSN original to do well, I'm dissapointed. They just haven't hit one out of the park since Russian Roulette.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Ian Wallis

GSN's "Bingo America"
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2008, 06:15:44 PM »
It seems that every time I pull for a GSN original to do well, I'm dissapointed. They just haven't hit one out of the park since Russian Roulette.

Anyone know why Russian Roulette was cancelled so quickly?  I believe it only had two seasons.  Weren't its ratings that great, or was it more of a budget decision that they just couldn't afford to make new episodes?

I thought it was one of the best originals...if Lingo (another good original, IMHO) can survive for six seasons, you'd figure RR would have more than two.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
GSN's "Bingo America"
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2008, 10:36:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'183278\' date=\'Apr 4 2008, 06:15 PM\']I thought it was one of the best originals...if Lingo (another good original, IMHO) can survive for six seasons, you'd figure RR would have more than two.[/quote]

The budget? Then again, all the originals of that order went out the door around the same time, so it's likely the network as a whole couldn't handle things...or something.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Mr. Armadillo

GSN's "Bingo America"
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2008, 03:19:45 PM »
They lost me as soon as one of the 'speed up' questions in Game 3 started with "What 'G' state..." and didn't end right there.

Oh, and the question that one woman answered for absolutely nothing but $1 added to the bank.  (She already had the B, and her opponent had already answered incorrectly.)  

I guess it would help if I actually printed a card.  But I decided it was too much work to get off the laptop and go to all the trouble of using the desktop, logging into gsn, etc, just for a card that already knows that I'm a loser (as Lemon already explained).

xavier45

GSN's "Bingo America"
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2008, 07:51:54 PM »
I watched my first episode today, and was not dissapointed or impressed. It is an okay show, but it sure has its bad spots. One thing that annoyed the heck out of me was when they cut to the audience. I thought I was watching an episode of America's Funniest Home Videos. It just seemed really awkward.

Duffy is not a bad host, but he could use some improvement. It sometimes seems like he is talking in Slow motion.

Overall, I am not going to make this appointment television for me. This show is the "turn to when there is absolutely Nothing on".

clemon79

GSN's "Bingo America"
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2008, 08:16:50 PM »
[quote name=\'xavier45\' post=\'183415\' date=\'Apr 6 2008, 04:51 PM\']
Duffy is not a bad host, but he could use some improvement. It sometimes seems like he is talking in Slow motion.[/quote]
I thought Scuzzlebutt's Leg was reasonable as a host, but I just can't get over it being Patrick Duffy up there. Maybe it's an 80's thing; I had the same problem with Corbin Bernsen.

(Mind you, it threw me to see Arnie Becker playing third base for the Cleveland Indians, too.)
Overall, I am not going to make this appointment television for me. This show is the "turn to when there is absolutely Nothing on".
I'm not sure I wouldn't pick Food Network over that. Even if it WAS Sandra Lee.

/opening a can is not cooking
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 08:17:14 PM by clemon79 »

tvwxman

GSN's "Bingo America"
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2008, 08:39:10 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'183421\' date=\'Apr 6 2008, 08:16 PM\']

I'm not sure I wouldn't pick Food Network over that. Even if it WAS Sandra Lee.

/opening a can is not cooking
[/quote]
"Today we're going to make soup. I start with a can of Campbell's Soup".
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Sodboy13

GSN's "Bingo America"
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2008, 11:34:28 PM »
I really wish they'd offer a little more truth in advertising, and rename her show "The Half-Assed Gourmet."

/has she used Lunchables in a show yet?
//I've got pitchforks and torches at the ready
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation