Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Schedule Changes  (Read 10583 times)

The Ol' Guy

Schedule Changes
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 11:15:19 AM »
Would someone with more knowledge on this chime in on this throught? I figure one of the reasons the originals are so insipid is that they can't be the easiest shows in the world for a contestant coordinator. Since only a handful of people watch GSN, you've already trimmed down the base of people who have even heard of the shows. Then there would be some I figure that would not be impressed with either the small prizes or appearing before a small audience. Probably a good number of applicants don't do that well in testing, so it looks like the best they can hope for are people who can stand up and breathe. It feels like desperation casting, and it shows. The games aren't all that bad and would be more entertaining if they were played better. Perhaps GSN might want to look at formats that are fun and idiotproof. In the back of my mind for years, I've wondered about (and toyed with) an updated Video Village, for example. Minimal brainpower on the part of the contestants, and the squares plus an energetic host can create a slightly more charged atmosphere. Could be done on a medium budget. In fact, if you give both the players the chance to keep the small prizes they've won and give the winner of each game a small bonus and the right to play again for more small prizes, it could be fun and have a bit more enthusiasm. And before any wisenheimer says GSN probably doesn't have the rights to V V..what's the matter with making an offer? The format's collecting dust on the shelf. Anyone else gonna buy it? Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 11:48:36 AM by The Ol' Guy »

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Schedule Changes
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 01:00:48 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' post=\'176244\' date=\'Jan 25 2008, 11:15 AM\']Perhaps GSN might want to look at formats that are fun and idiotproof.[/quote]
A) It's 2008.  Society's made some pretty damn good idiots.  B) They've already tried that, and it was called How Much is Enough?

You do make a good point about casting, though.  When your HH is only 150,000 or so, it probably can't help your standing, but that's what craigslist is for.

/Wasn't there some stupid teen game show that was a revisioning of Video Village?
//Think it came on before Click in Philly.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 01:01:17 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

Scrabbleship

Schedule Changes
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 01:15:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'176260\' date=\'Jan 25 2008, 01:00 PM\']/Wasn't there some stupid teen game show that was a revisioning of Video Village?[/quote]

Yes, Peer Pressure. Probably one of the worst game shows I've ever seen, yet somehow resilient enough to be repackaged TWICE in the ensuing seasons with annoying edits aplenty.

If anything, it was more the demon spawn of Video Village if it was to gain Singled Out's personality with a mega ripoff of $ale's Instant Bargains its one redeeming grace.

//Think it came on before Click in Philly.

IIRC, that was true in most places, at least in the first season. The two shows were syndicated in the same package in their first season.

Back to the point at hand, at what point does it become counterproductive for GSN to produce originals?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 01:15:52 PM by Scrabbleship »

uncamark

Schedule Changes
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 02:23:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Scrabbleship\' post=\'176263\' date=\'Jan 25 2008, 12:15 PM\']
Back to the point at hand, at what point does it become counterproductive for GSN to produce originals?
[/quote]

Probably the day they go off the air.  An original series at least gives them the opportunity to do some press hyping that buying a repeat package of, say, "Temptation" won't get them.

Perhaps a way to go would be to try some goofy-but-fun late-night shows in the style of "Clash" or "Idiot Savants" or "Street Smarts"--shows that may not give out all that much, but do what they do in an appealingly irreverent and funny manner.  Play 'em in late-night and you could get someone who's flipping around when Letterman and Leno are in reruns and Colbert's having a bad night.  Hey, I don't know if anyone thought a lineup of cast-off prime time cartoons, anime, stoner-aimed meta "cartoons" and the occasional meta-live action show would become the monster that it is for Time Warner.

joshg

Schedule Changes
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 06:05:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Scrabbleship\' post=\'176263\' date=\'Jan 25 2008, 10:15 AM\']
Yes, Peer Pressure. Probably one of the worst game shows I've ever seen, yet somehow resilient enough to be repackaged TWICE in the ensuing seasons with annoying edits aplenty.

[/quote]

Wasn't that the show where the name was changed (in editing) to 'Pressure 1' and 'Pressure 2' or something like that?
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

BrandonFG

Schedule Changes
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2008, 06:20:08 PM »
[quote name=\'joshg\' post=\'176304\' date=\'Jan 25 2008, 06:05 PM\']
[quote name=\'Scrabbleship\' post=\'176263\' date=\'Jan 25 2008, 10:15 AM\']

[/quote]

Wasn't that the show where the name was changed (in editing) to 'Pressure 1' and 'Pressure 2' or something like that?
[/quote]
Complete with a VERY obvious dub whenever the host mentioned the show's original title.

It's been 10 years, but I actually enjoyed the show (it aired in reverse order, at 12:30 on Saturday afternoons, right after Click). I've seen worse shows...MUCH worse.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

The Ol' Guy

Schedule Changes
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 09:12:16 PM »
I'll have to pull out my tape of that and watch it again. I remember it being a V V/Shenanigans-type game, but as long as it isn't aiming for a 12-year old audience, I could see some value in a fresh version of Village. A mix of retro and new elements could be interesting. It's a shame that that a number of good and inexpensive formats are under the H-Q banner - Gambit and High Rollers, for example. And that's not a bad idea, Uncamark. Borrowing a title from an old show, set aside a 90-minute block as Night Games -if they could do it right. Gee...a version of TDC's "Dirty Minds" party game, anybody? :-)

By the way, a question concerning a format I'm messing with -- every now and then on shows like Letterman, Paul may play some well-known pop tune to fit an impromptu bit, and Dave'll mention, "Hey, if you play a couple of more bars of that, we'll have to pay a royalty." Is there such an option of being able to play bits and pieces of music on a program and avoid royalties, and if so, is there a maximum allowable length? Thanks.

Clay Zambo

Schedule Changes
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2008, 09:39:59 AM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' post=\'176316\' date=\'Jan 25 2008, 09:12 PM\']
Is there such an option of being able to play bits and pieces of music on a program and avoid royalties, and if so, is there a maximum allowable length? Thanks.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure it's eight consecutive notes.
czambo@mac.com

MizzouRah!

Schedule Changes
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2008, 03:19:19 PM »
Back to the subject of original GSN programming...Is there any known reason why GSN hasn't tried more revivals of simple but somewhat proven games of the past? Trivia Trap definitely comes to mind, along with Now You See It. TT would be very simple. The set and Q & A format makes it seem like it could really be done on the cheap. Obviously Juniors would be 20-25 and seniors 26-30 to fit their demographics. And with today's technology, NYSI could be another simple and cheap remake. Would the cost of securing the rights to remake these shows possibly holding them back, or the lack of any interest in trying past shows and proving they are able to produce quality new programming? Obviously their new breed of games isn't working. At least you'd have the name factor to get a decent sampling of the premieres. Then it would be up to GSN to make them watchable(No further comment on that subject).

MikeK

• Martha!
Schedule Changes
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2008, 03:37:19 PM »
[quote name=\'MizzouRah!\' post=\'176374\' date=\'Jan 26 2008, 03:19 PM\']Obviously Juniors would be 20-25 and seniors 26-30 to fit their demographics.[/quote]
That would fit the demographics they want, not necessarily the ones they get.

According to your logic, I would be dead to GSN and/or the producers of these shows since I would be a member of some sort of uber-senior set since I'm 31 or older.  I just died a little inside.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 03:37:49 PM by MikeK »

Matt Ottinger

Schedule Changes
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2008, 04:23:45 PM »
[quote name=\'MizzouRah!\' post=\'176374\' date=\'Jan 26 2008, 03:19 PM\']
Back to the subject of original GSN programming...Is there any known reason why GSN hasn't tried more revivals of simple but somewhat proven games of the past? [/quote]
Not sure which GSN you've been watching, but many of their 'originals' have been revivals of simple but somewhat proven games of the past.  Whammy, IGAS, Lingo and Chain Reaction are all recent examples, and there have been others.  So they're not only willing to do it, but they've had some of their biggest successes doing it.  I couldn't tell you why specifically they haven't remade Now You See It or Trivia Trap, though you could argue that Camouflage has a lot of the feel of NYSI, and frankly, there's not enough original game to Trivia Trap to make it worth negotiating the rights to the format if all you want to do is make a trivia game show.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MizzouRah!

Schedule Changes
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2008, 06:23:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'176381\' date=\'Jan 26 2008, 05:23 PM\']
[quote name=\'MizzouRah!\' post=\'176374\' date=\'Jan 26 2008, 03:19 PM\']
Back to the subject of original GSN programming...Is there any known reason why GSN hasn't tried more revivals of simple but somewhat proven games of the past? [/quote]
Not sure which GSN you've been watching, but many of their 'originals' have been revivals of simple but somewhat proven games of the past.  Whammy, IGAS, Lingo and Chain Reaction are all recent examples, and there have been others.  So they're not only willing to do it, but they've had some of their biggest successes doing it.  I couldn't tell you why specifically they haven't remade Now You See It or Trivia Trap, though you could argue that Camouflage has a lot of the feel of NYSI, and frankly, there's not enough original game to Trivia Trap to make it worth negotiating the rights to the format if all you want to do is make a trivia game show.
[/quote]
First, to MikeK, the comment about 21-25 and 26-30 was meant as tongue in cheek. Anyone over 30 is in the definite minority at GSN. And yes, I wouldn't make the cut either.
  And yes, I agree about CR, IGAS, etc.. CR was the most recent and that's been 2+ years. Lately it seems they've been trying, unsuccessfully, to reinvent the wheel(not 'of fortune'). Maybe trying some shows that viewers have only recently found on GSN might be worth remaking.
  Personally I always thought Trivia Trap was a nice, simple yet enjoyable half hour(at least the first few months...the later months suffered). Compared to HMiEnough it's rocket science, so I don't think this would stop GSN. If rights are a problem/too costly, make a few subtle changes and run with it. Other possibilities such as Trebek's Double Dare, Gambit(especially w/ today's love of card games), etc.. I'm definitely no programmer, but it's obvious what they have now isn't bringing in tons of viewers, so there's a chance this could be a viable option, if cost effective.  Maybe somewhere inside I'd just like to see if these shows would fly in today's market...And without any super-duper updates.

catkins522

Schedule Changes
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2008, 07:02:16 PM »
...and "Debt!" revival could be a reality!!!  Thank you George W...  Can someone tell him playtime is over a long, long time ago...

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

Ian Wallis

Schedule Changes
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2008, 10:29:30 PM »
Other possibilities such as Trebek's Double Dare, Gambit(especially w/ today's love of card games), etc..

I think a remake of Gambit could work well for GSN.  I think part of the problem with most of these older shows is that who really remembers them besides us?  I doubt that very many people have even heard of Trivia Trap.  Interestingly, on that Vicki! episode with game shows hosts from 1994 that some of us have, Vicki herself stated she didn't even remember it - and she was on it!

It would be neat for any future remakes that they could also air an episode or two of the originals so viewers could see where they originated from.  In the case of Gambit, that would probably mean negotiating for a one-time airing, which you'd think wouldn't be that difficult.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 10:30:07 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Schedule Changes
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2008, 11:08:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'176433\' date=\'Jan 27 2008, 10:29 PM\']In the case of Gambit, that would probably mean negotiating for a one-time airing, which you'd think wouldn't be that difficult.[/quote]You don't remember the 50 Greatest Gameshows "special" they aired a couple of years ago, do ya?

'Freakin' Studs and all that.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 11:09:21 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13