Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How would you fix them?  (Read 5491 times)

TenPoundHammer

How would you fix them?
« on: January 11, 2008, 10:51:18 PM »
Since this is the section on GSN's original shows, I'd like to start a general discussion, regarding ideas for improvement on any GSN original, past or present.

Here are some of my pipe dreams ideas. Keep in mind that, except for a really short span in 1997, I didn't get GSN until 2002ish, so I apparently missed a lot of the originals. Here are just a few ideas to get the ball rolling; I'll try to keep it short and focused.

Current shows[/u]
Chain Reaction:
*Two words: Smarter contestants.
*Oh yeah, and maybe have Lane and Goen trade places.

Lingo:
*Make the board about 3x bigger. It looks absolutely dinky, even worse than the 1985 Concentration pilot in that regard.
*Wait until Bonus Lingo is over to reveal missed words, or at least pause the clock to reveal them. That way, none of the two minutes is wasted on a reveal.
*I'd rather it just be Chuck and four contestants, but if they insist on having a female co-host, I wouldn't mind one of those smart types who still looks cute in glasses.

Past shows: How they could've been better[/u]
Cram:
*My biggest complaint on Cram (besides Graham saying "Oh man, you guys!" 487 times per episode) was the bonus round. Hearing Graham spit out "What-- *buzz* What-- *buzz* Wh--*buzz* W--*buzz* W--*buzz* What did--*buzz*" got annoying very fast. Perhaps an easier physical task would have cut down on this?

Friend or Foe?:
*Get rid of everything except for Kennedy. (Sorry! I couldn't resist.)

BrandonFG

How would you fix them?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 11:00:18 PM »
[quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'174609\' date=\'Jan 11 2008, 10:51 PM\']
Chain Reaction:
[/quote]
A brighter set. Contestants play for four figures (split between three people), yet it still looks like a rave. The only thing missing was Dylan with a glo-stick.

Lingo:
Scoreboards on the desks. The Bonus Lingo desk had one (go figure), but your maingame desks don't? Chintzy.

Whammy!
*Just call it "The New" PYL. Save the "title:longer subtitle" for the movies...and it's overblown there too.
*Drop the Double Whammies.
*I don't know how, but the excitement from the 80s version got lost in the translation here. Drop the manufactured enthusiasm this version suffered from.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 11:00:49 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

rebelwrest

How would you fix them?
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 12:02:20 AM »
Chain Reaction:

(Apologies if someone has mentioned this idea before) For the last round, take a page from Edwards CR.  For this round the team plays as a whole on a turn not seperately, but the team decides whether they want to take the letter or give a letter to the opposing team and no bidding.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

saussage

How would you fix them?
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 10:10:50 PM »
Chain Reaction:
-What about going with 2 players per team instead of three?
-Change the host
-I agree with making the set brighter
-This might sound like nit-picking but what about going back to a staircase effect for the puzzle? Somehow it looks more pleasing to watch imo (and getting rid of that stupid sound effect for something simpler when they're
trying to guess the word (it sounds like a bunch of critters for the lack of better words)).

How much is enough:
-The game could move so much faster instead of having players trying to fill in time regarding about if it's higher or lower. If you can't add more than this (high-to-low button-mashing) for a challenge in a game show then scrap it. Something is missing from this show and if they add a challenge element, it will be exciting to watch.

Friend of Foe:
-Remove Kennedy from this show (and have her do something else). The show lasted longer than it should.

I'm sure lots more games need fixing but I haven't watched GSN as much since they rebranded themselves a few years back.
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
How would you fix them?
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 10:33:47 PM »
God, I missed you.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
How would you fix them?
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 01:17:54 AM »
Chain Reaction could be improved by:
* Cutting team size to one or two. This means that the coordinators aren't required to pick telegenic teams who can't play worth a darn, and might be able to find teams who can figure out the puzzles.
* Rounds are worth 100, 150, 200, 300. Most cash wins the game. This way you don't have that silly war of attrition at the end of the game where the trailing team watches their chances dwindling by the minute as their dunderhead partner bets $500 with a single letter showing.
* Since the teams are no longer three a side, we can chuck Instant Reaction, which is at best moderately painful to watch. Move the speed chains from the end-of-chain bonus to the bonus game, where it would actually be interesting.

How Much is Enough
could be improved by shoehorning in however much of PokerFace you can do in a half hour. Really, no need for a standing ovation.
Travis L. Eberle

William_S.

How would you fix them?
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 04:01:38 AM »
ok.

Chain Reaction: Start off with a better set. Sliding doors maybe? Better theme. As with many shows, why not a techno style ? (It'll fit the show since the Disco worked with Cullen's) Ok I'm nitpicking here maybe $25 a letter play to $1000, Bring back the "plus" doublers. And give the Host the Answers! finally play the "Speed Chain" to after the second round (Ala Super Password).

Lingo: Fix that Board!! Is it me or does it look like the board is drooping too much? are we due for a Lingo plus? I mean I'd like to see a Four letter puzzle and/or a seven letter puzzle.

That's all I can think of.

Ian Wallis

How would you fix them?
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 09:46:19 AM »
*Wait until Bonus Lingo is over to reveal missed words, or at least pause the clock to reveal them. That way, none of the two minutes is wasted on a reveal.

I guess pausing the clock could work.  It usually only took about an extra second or two to reveal them, but I guess that can add up during the round.  I wouldn't want to wait until the end though.  If they don't get it, tell them what it is, be done with the word and move on.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
How would you fix them?
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 04:30:49 PM »
[quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'174609\' date=\'Jan 11 2008, 07:51 PM\']*Wait until Bonus Lingo is over to reveal missed words, or at least pause the clock to reveal them. That way, none of the two minutes is wasted on a reveal.[/quote] Serves the team right if they can't identify a five-letter word in five guesses with two letters showing. They can suffer.

*I'd rather it just be Chuck and four contestants, but if they insist on having a female co-host, I wouldn't mind one of those smart types who still looks cute in glasses.
Lingo had a "teacher and student" week, and I can assure you Shandi looked as cute as ever in glasses and the rest of the librarian's outfit.

/What?
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
How would you fix them?
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 04:47:59 PM »
[quote name=\'William_S.\' post=\'174702\' date=\'Jan 13 2008, 04:01 AM\']Lingo: Fix that Board!! Is it me or does it look like the board is drooping too much? [/quote]What the hell does this mean?  Its an electronic board, is it not?  How does that droop?
I mean I'd like to see a Four letter puzzle and/or a seven letter puzzle.
Four letter words would be a nightmare.

Anyhow, I would make some changes to a few of them:

Lingo
Toss-up starts the game; perhaps with a seven letter word.  Control is not lost unless you give an illegal answer or miss a word.
Play the game to a fixed amount (2 or 3) of Lingos as opposed to points.  Give $100 per Lingo; with a net sum of $500 for winning the game.
Play the bonus game to rewarding contestants more for their word knowledge than luck.  Each correct word lets them draw one ball from the hopper, which corresponds to cash or prizes (more than $100 per).  Getting a Lingo (at any time) nets them a jackpot.  With this setup, however, they get a smaller number of spaces marked off to begin with.

Russian Roulette
No changes needed; except for dropping the lowest scoring player if time runs out in a round.

Whammy!
Ditch the stupid kiddie effect of dumping things on the contestants' heads.  
Lose Todd as the emcee; find someone who isn't overly-energetic, but can still make the game fun for the players/viewers.
Award a small prize or cash amount to any player who earns the max. number of spins; contestant keeps it regardless of the game outcome.

And of course, Chris contributes nothing to the thread, except a one-line message snarking someone.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 05:06:12 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
How would you fix them?
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 05:13:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'174734\' date=\'Jan 13 2008, 01:47 PM\']
And of course, Chris contributes nothing to the thread, except a one-line message snarking someone.
[/quote]
Oh, man, I needed a laugh like that today. Thanks, Mark. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
How would you fix them?
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 05:27:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'174734\' date=\'Jan 13 2008, 01:47 PM\']Lingo
Toss-up starts the game; perhaps with a seven letter word.  Control is not lost unless you give an illegal answer or miss a word.[/quote] The problem here is that the other team has no way to get back in the game except if a team fumbles. What's wrong with teams alternating control, and drawing N balls, where N is six minus the number of tries it takes to guess the word? And while we're going into fantasy land, start with an empty bingo card.

Play the game to a fixed amount (2 or 3) of Lingos as opposed to points.  Give $100 per Lingo; with a net sum of $500 for winning the game.
The problem here is that the show is firmly designed to play to a time limit. There's no way to get around it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 11:46:36 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

TenPoundHammer

How would you fix them?
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 07:01:43 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'174731\' date=\'Jan 13 2008, 04:30 PM\']Lingo had a "teacher and student" week, and I can assure you Shandi looked as cute as ever in glasses and the rest of the librarian's outfit.[/quote]

You have my attention. Anyone got a screenshot?

Anyway, getting back on topic, I agree with making Bonus Lingo a bit different somehow, so that the # of words gets a reward. This idea's kind of crude, but it may work: $200 per word, even if a Lingo is made. (in other words, if a team gets 5 words/balls and makes Lingo on the second ball, they'd get the $5000 for making a Lingo, and $1000 more for the five words they got right.)

I guess there's a reason that none of us board members are game show producers...

tvwxman

How would you fix them?
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 07:36:27 PM »
[quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'174746\' date=\'Jan 13 2008, 07:01 PM\']
I guess there's a reason that none of us board members are game show producers...
[/quote]
Nope. Just you.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
How would you fix them?
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 10:01:53 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'174740\' date=\'Jan 13 2008, 05:27 PM\']What's wrong with teams alternating control, and drawing N balls, where N is six minus the number of tries it takes to guess the word? (And if we're going of into fantasy land, start with an empty bingo card.[/quote]My beef with the show was that, on occasion, a team would clean up round one, and the bell would sound for time.  The other team then swept round two (with doubled points) and win with the same amount of effort put forth.  That was my way of correcting that.
--Mark
Phil 4:13