Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your favorite host entrance?  (Read 16313 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Your favorite host entrance?
« on: January 10, 2008, 11:10:49 PM »
What's your favorite entrance made by a host at the top of his/her show?

I have a couple.

I like the way Joe Garagiola made his way in on "He Said, She Said". He looked so excited to be doing the show, and the audience was excited to see him. It makes for an exciting intro.

And no matter who the host is, the entrance the host of "The Price is Right" makes (or made) every morning is always cheerworthy, in my opinion.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

rigsby

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 11:13:16 PM »
Jim Peck on "The Big Showdown", or at least one ep of it.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 11:18:40 PM »
Honestly, I loved the way Howie walked out during the first week of D/ND, starting in the "vault", then walking down the hallway, building tension as he described the game. He still does this from time to time, but the drama gets lost with the frantic audience's obligatory standing ovation.

Also, Allen Ludden's hand gesture upon his entrance, on any form of Password.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 11:24:09 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'174484\' date=\'Jan 10 2008, 11:18 PM\']
Also, Allen Ludden's hand gesture upon his entrance, on any form of Password.
[/quote]
Absolutely agreed.

I also think Gene's entrances on "Match Game" have a place in this, just because they were so different and so entertaining.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 11:31:18 PM »
Now You See It--Jack Narz walking in the opposite direction of the contestants on the upper tier, going down the thick red carpeted stairs, with the contestants taking their appropriate marks on the opposite stairs.  The coordination is slick and probably wasn't reshot a dozen times like such an open would nowadays.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 12:03:27 AM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'174486\' date=\'Jan 10 2008, 11:31 PM\']
Now You See It--Jack Narz walking in the opposite direction of the contestants on the upper tier, going down the thick red carpeted stairs, with the contestants taking their appropriate marks on the opposite stairs.  The coordination is slick and probably wasn't reshot a dozen times like such an open would nowadays.
[/quote]

I second this one.  Makes the open of my show look bland and blah. :-P

comicus

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 12:23:43 AM »
I was always partial to Jim Perry's energetic sprint to the podium on Sale of the Century.  Was a hint of the fast paced awesomeness to come.

By that logic, Rossi Morreale should make his Temptation entrance on a Rascal scooter with a nearly dead battery.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 12:27:03 AM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'174488\' date=\'Jan 10 2008, 09:23 PM\']
I was always partial to Jim Perry's energetic sprint to the podium on Sale of the Century.  Was a hint of the fast paced awesomeness to come.

By that logic, Rossi Morreale should make his Temptation entrance on a Rascal scooter with a nearly dead battery.
[/quote]
I lol'd. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 02:48:17 AM »
Bill Cullen was so great, he didn't have to enter.  He was already there! :)

Ever notice Jim Perry always clapped just once when rounding the CS stage?

Anything involving staircases was cool to see.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 04:02:20 AM »
I always liked Gene's entrances on MG.  You never know what he'll do once those doors open up after the title sign lifts up.  The most memorable I thought was when he was just lying there as if waiting for someone to prod him up & say "Gene, you're on!".

DrBear

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 07:04:38 AM »
Old-school, but ... "Ladies and gentlemen, Garry Moore!" And Garry would come out, tease the first segment, then somehow link it to the daily introduction of Carlisle, Cass and Cullen. It got you nicely into the game.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

tvmitch

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 09:32:18 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'174503\' date=\'Jan 11 2008, 07:04 AM\']
Old-school, but ... "Ladies and gentlemen, Garry Moore!" And Garry would come out, tease the first segment, then somehow link it to the daily introduction of Carlisle, Cass and Cullen. It got you nicely into the game.
[/quote]
My favorite TTTT entrance is (sadly) Garry's final episode, where Alan Kalter introduced him. Alan Kalter is definitely an underrated announcing voice...liked his work on TTTT80 too.

Bruce Forsyth always makes a NICE entrance as well.

That Ludden entrance from the first episode of Password Plus is a great one. Everyone was very excited that show was back.
You should follow me on Twitter

Chief-O

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 09:55:59 AM »
I liked Ludden's entrances on P+, as he'd go up the stairs, pause, and extend his arm. Just classy.
.....and it goes like this!!!

opimus

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 10:03:58 AM »
Larry Blyden's on WML

Clay Zambo

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 10:29:48 AM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'174486\' date=\'Jan 10 2008, 11:31 PM\']
[/quote]

Not only that, but Jack RAN down those stairs.  Never ceases to amaze me that there wasn't a train wreck, or a  host skidding down the shag.

Much as I like that entrance, by the way, it seems to me that the platform with the two curving sets of stairs is just about the least essential piece of GS setwork ever.
czambo@mac.com