Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More Price is Right DVD news...  (Read 51540 times)

TimK2003

More Price is Right DVD news...
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2008, 04:32:20 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'174716\' date=\'Jan 13 2008, 12:11 PM\']
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'174713\' date=\'Jan 13 2008, 10:53 AM\']But somewhere in the back of the mind, you wonder if including *ALL* of the final week of Barker's reign was a final ego stroke for Barker -- If Carson's last week on the Tonight Show can do it, than so can I, especially since I hosted "Price" longer than Carson hosted "Tonight".

...But Carson's final week was far better!!![/quote]
Is Carson's entire final week on DVD?  I have The Ultimate Collection and that has the Thursday and Friday shows from Carson's last week.  From what I've seen, the newer Definitive Collection is primarily the previously released sets in one box.
[/quote]

I had thought there were 3 new eps on Carson's last week, and they were all available on DVD & VHS at the time.  That was one collection that has always been on my 'must have' list but for whatever reason I have yet to purchase.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2008, 09:18:53 PM »
No Dennis James.
No Tom Kennedy.
No Doug Davidson.
No sale.

Like them or not, TPIR from 1972 on has had four emcees. At least one episode of each should be included if only for posterity, even if it means dropping some Cullen episodes (sorry, Matt). During his run on the show, Dennis James brought a certain energy to the show that stiff, mechanical (at the time) Barker did not.

Liz Habib -- Giggity Extreme!
Would you like me to pass this along to her?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 09:22:49 PM by chris319 »

rugrats1

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2008, 10:17:07 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'174755\' date=\'Jan 13 2008, 09:18 PM\']
No Dennis James.
No Tom Kennedy.
No Doug Davidson.
No sale.

Like them or not, TPIR from 1972 on has had four emcees.
[/quote]

What about Drew?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2008, 11:04:43 PM »
At least one episode of each should be included if only for posterity, even if it means dropping some Cullen episodes (sorry, Matt). [/quote]
Oh, you won't hear complaints from me, that sounds like a terrific idea.  Besides, I doubt seriously that there are going to be oodles of Cullen episodes to drop.  Two would frankly surprise me.  The way I see it, they should have a "bonus disc" of non-Barker TPIR, heck maybe even with an oversea version or two.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2008, 11:28:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'174770\' date=\'Jan 13 2008, 11:04 PM\']
The way I see it, they should have a "bonus disc" of non-Barker TPIR, heck maybe even with an oversea version or two.
[/quote]
I vote for the oversea version (or two) being from Joe Pasquale's version. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TimK2003

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2008, 12:24:21 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'174770\' date=\'Jan 14 2008, 12:04 AM\']
At least one episode of each should be included if only for posterity, even if it means dropping some Cullen episodes (sorry, Matt). [/quote]
Oh, you won't hear complaints from me, that sounds like a terrific idea.  Besides, I doubt seriously that there are going to be oodles of Cullen episodes to drop.  Two would frankly surprise me.  The way I see it, they should have a "bonus disc" of non-Barker TPIR, heck maybe even with an oversea version or two.
[/quote]

They could definitely add a Dennis James ep, since furs are "in" again, so to speak, and that was the only show a vast majority of people remember him hosting.  

Kennedy??  perhaps, but IMHO I don't recall him doing anything on his version that stood out.  

Davidson??  That show was so far off the traditional format chart, it might scare some people!

Foreign versions??  Absolutely!  Maybe a quick montage of the non-English formats and a full ep from each English-speaking country (If you can have a DVD box set including Bruce Forsyth's appearance from The Muppet Show,...) :-)

And if you're gonna have Barker's last, you should have either Drew's first taped or aired ep!

Would you like me to pass this along to her?

Sure...then we can finalize the dates for that weekend in Vail next month... :-)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 12:24:47 AM by TimK2003 »

Pyramid80

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2008, 03:52:12 PM »
According to someone who works for BCI...

"This is what I know.

We have 4 Bill Cullen episodes, 3 episodes from Bob' first week, his entire final week and the rest are from the early to mid 70s.

I would guess that depending on how this set sells and how that influences the producers, future volumes could move into the 80s."

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2008, 04:08:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' post=\'174850\' date=\'Jan 14 2008, 03:52 PM\']
According to someone who works for BCI...
We have 4 Bill Cullen episodes, [/quote]
OK, nobody's happier about this than I (and maybe Adam), but even I know That's Too Much!

If I'm Joe Housewife, and I'm buying this thing because of my hero, Bob Barker, why on earth am I going to be excited by the fact that half of one disc is this black and white version I've never heard of?

Ian Wallis

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2008, 04:19:29 PM »
According to that list then, there don't appear to be too many hour-long episodes outside of the last week.  I wonder if they're going to include the first hour-long from 1975.  Even though most of us have it in our collections, for the average fan out there, it would be a nice touch.

They could definitely add a Dennis James ep, since furs are "in" again, so to speak, and that was the only show a vast majority of people remember him hosting.

A fur wasn't given away on every episode.  It would have been good if they could have seen fit to throw one Dennis ep in there -- how about the one that ended in a showcase tie -- the only time in the show's history that happened.  That would have been a neat treasure!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Mike Tennant

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2008, 04:27:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' post=\'174850\' date=\'Jan 14 2008, 03:52 PM\']We have 4 Bill Cullen episodes, 3 episodes from Bob' first week, his entire final week and the rest are from the early to mid 70s.[/quote]Hmm . . . Dian didn't start until 1975.  Is it possible we'll only be getting pre- and post-Dian episodes in this set?

tvmitch

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2008, 04:58:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'174860\' date=\'Jan 14 2008, 04:27 PM\']
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' post=\'174850\' date=\'Jan 14 2008, 03:52 PM\']We have 4 Bill Cullen episodes, 3 episodes from Bob' first week, his entire final week and the rest are from the early to mid 70s.[/quote]Hmm . . . Dian didn't start until 1975.  Is it possible we'll only be getting pre- and post-Dian episodes in this set?
[/quote]
Does Barker have a say in that?
You should follow me on Twitter

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2008, 05:00:32 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'174865\' date=\'Jan 14 2008, 03:58 PM\']
Does Barker have a say in that? [/quote]

If Barker's lost the power to stop episodes due to furs, I'd imagine it'd be the same thing for Dian or any of the other models.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2008, 05:28:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'174868\' date=\'Jan 14 2008, 05:00 PM\']
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'174865\' date=\'Jan 14 2008, 03:58 PM\']
Does Barker have a say in that? [/quote]
If Barker's lost the power to stop episodes due to furs, I'd imagine it'd be the same thing for Dian or any of the other models.[/quote]
But it's all just been speculation.  None of us knows* whether Barker is wielding any veto power over this set.  One member has already rather cryptically suggested that the off-limits episodes are still off-limits, and you'll note that the BCI guy says they have "3 episodes from Bob' first week," which might mean three shows that don't have furs and not necessarily the "very first" episode they're promising at the OP's link.

*I imagine some people might know for sure but for some reason or another aren't saying.

Allstar87

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2008, 06:20:35 PM »
The evidence does seem to fit with the theory Bob has veto power.

I said three days ago...

[quote name=\'Allstar87\' post=\'174495\' date=\'Jan 11 2008, 01:58 AM\']
If they had to exclude episodes with Dian, Holly, and/or Kathleen, that wipes out pretty much every show between 1975 and 2000...well over half the run!
[/quote]

The episodes we know of are all outside that time period, and the rest being from "the early-to-mid 70's" would seem to suggest nothing after 1975. And there were exactly three episodes from week 1 without fur coats.

Of course, something could happen to prove me totally wrong, but so far everything seems to support it.

Pyramid80

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2008, 06:29:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Allstar87\' post=\'174876\' date=\'Jan 14 2008, 05:20 PM\']
The evidence does seem to fit with the theory Bob has veto power.

I said three days ago...

[quote name=\'Allstar87\' post=\'174495\' date=\'Jan 11 2008, 01:58 AM\']
If they had to exclude episodes with Dian, Holly, and/or Kathleen, that wipes out pretty much every show between 1975 and 2000...well over half the run!
[/quote]

The episodes we know of are all outside that time period, and the rest being from "the early-to-mid 70's" would seem to suggest nothing after 1975. And there were exactly three episodes from week 1 without fur coats.

Of course, something could happen to prove me totally wrong, but so far everything seems to support it.
[/quote]
Was Dian around on the first hour long episode?