Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More Price is Right DVD news...  (Read 51830 times)

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
More Price is Right DVD news...
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 01:00:39 AM »
[quote name=\'petek66\' post=\'174492\' date=\'Jan 11 2008, 12:45 AM\']
Nothing has mentioned it, but given that the recent retrospective specials omitted them entirely, the box art shows only recent photos, and the DVD episodes we know of would not have those models in them, it makes me think there is some legal barrier to including them.  But I wouldn't have expected the premiere episode to show up either, so maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised.
[/quote]

I point out here that until we either have the DVD in our hands or see a press release containing which episodes will be included, this is conjecture or sheer speculation.

I, for one, don't think there will be any kind of legal barriers such as this.

Allstar87

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 01:58:46 AM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'174494\' date=\'Jan 11 2008, 01:00 AM\']
[/quote]

I don't either. If they had to exclude episodes with Dian, Holly, and/or Kathleen, that wipes out pretty much every show between 1975 and 2000...well over half the run! That's a pretty big chunk of history for the show, and it would just seem weird not to include any episodes from that time.

bclark71

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 07:52:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Allstar87\' post=\'174495\' date=\'Jan 11 2008, 01:58 AM\']
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'174494\' date=\'Jan 11 2008, 01:00 AM\']
[/quote]

I don't either. If they had to exclude episodes with Dian, Holly, and/or Kathleen, that wipes out pretty much every show between 1975 and 2000...well over half the run! That's a pretty big chunk of history for the show, and it would just seem weird not to include any episodes from that time.
[/quote]
I'm thinking (hoping) that the exclusion of the classic-era models from the specials and retrospectives was a Barker Thing, done at his discretion while he was EP.  That the first show with a fur is said to be included in the DVD set indicates to me that it is likely old Puckerbutt has no say in what shows are included in this package, as Fremantle owns the shows and can license them as they wish.

As I said, thinking and hoping...

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 11:58:29 AM »
[quote name=\'bclark71\' post=\'174505\' date=\'Jan 11 2008, 07:52 AM\']I'm thinking (hoping) that the exclusion of the classic-era models from the specials and retrospectives was a Barker Thing, done at his discretion while he was EP.  [/quote]
That's almost certainly true.  Speculation at this point about which episodes they'll include is pointless (but fun!), but if you threw darts blindly in the tape room you'd be bound to hit Dian, Holly and Kathleen episodes pretty quickly.  Unless there really is some legal issue with their clearances, I can't imagine that they won't show up.

I would imagine it hasn't been easy to select episodes.  Plenty of shows have moments, but why do we need, for example, the entire episode where the girl lost her tube top, if only those few seconds were noteworthy?  Wasn't Vanna only selected to 'Come on Down' for the final IUFB?  Honestly, hardly any episodes were really 'special' for the full sixty minutes.

(I still love Robair's idea for a TPIR series back when we were speculating about GSN:  "You Know How It Ends: The Double Overbid Marathon")

But you're adding a Cullen or two?  OK, just because I have some extra Best Buy rewards that I need to use up, you sold me.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 12:18:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'174529\' date=\'Jan 11 2008, 11:58 AM\']
Wasn't Vanna only selected to 'Come on Down' for the final IUFB?  Honestly, hardly any episodes were really 'special' for the full sixty minutes.

[/quote]

To Vanna's embarrassment, she was one of the first four contestants.  As most of us know, she did not get out of contestant's row.  I think we could get the whole show based on that alone.

/Maybe they should bring her back for another chance...
//Maybe not
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 12:20:58 PM by NicholasM79 »

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 12:19:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'174529\' date=\'Jan 11 2008, 11:58 AM\']Wasn't Vanna only selected to 'Come on Down' for the final IUFB?  Honestly, hardly any episodes were really 'special' for the full sixty minutes.[/quote]
IIRC, she was down there the entire show.  I recall Barker making a comment about her after his entrance.

If they have Barker's last show, that's fine.  The entire week is a bit overkill.  Maybe if my Dad gets those reward coupons, I'll try and buy them by proxy.
This signature is currently under construction.

Allstar87

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 12:20:50 PM »
EDIT: Well, I WAS going to say what Nick and Joe said. Darn me for being two minutes late to the party.

But yeah, Vanna did get a couple comments down there. At the top of the show, Bob remarked that there were TV screens backstage where the crew can watch the show. And when a crew member read "Get Serious" on Vanna's shirt, he said "I am! I am!"
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 12:28:17 PM by Allstar87 »

BillCullen1

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 01:29:32 PM »
If I remember correctly, I believe Barker also commented on the fact that Vanna was still down in Contestant's Row at one point.  This was about a year before she got the WOF job, and IIRC, Vanna was a brunette, not a blonde. This was around 1980 or 81, so it was Johnny O. who called Vanna to "come on down."

BrandonFG

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 03:28:37 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'174540\' date=\'Jan 11 2008, 01:29 PM\']
This was about a year before she got the WOF job, and IIRC, Vanna was a brunette, not a blonde. This was around 1980 or 81, so it was Johnny O. who called Vanna to "come on down."
[/quote]
IIRC, in her book, she said the ep. taped on 6/2/80 (her mom's birthday), and aired about two or three weeks later. Or maybe it aired on her mom's b-day...either way, the taping and airing happened in June 1980. She went to "Wheel" in late-1982.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 04:00:27 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'174532\' date=\'Jan 11 2008, 12:18 PM\']To Vanna's embarrassment, she was one of the first four contestants.  As most of us know, she did not get out of contestant's row.  I think we could get the whole show based on that alone.[/quote]
I stand corrected.  And yes, absolutely, that then ought to be one of the episodes in the set.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2008, 06:33:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'174529\' date=\'Jan 11 2008, 11:58 AM\']
if you threw darts blindly in the tape room you'd be bound to hit Dian, Holly and Kathleen episodes pretty quickly. [/quote]

But please don't.  Just on general principle.
czambo@mac.com

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2008, 11:03:50 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'174556\' date=\'Jan 11 2008, 03:28 PM\']IIRC, in [Vanna's] book, she said the ep. taped on 6/2/80 (her mom's birthday), and aired about two or three weeks later. Or maybe it aired on her mom's b-day...either way, the taping and airing happened in June 1980.[/quote]
It aired on June 20.  Oddly enough, I don't believe this is the date Vanna has given for it, but Price's records confirm it to be correct.

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2008, 12:51:05 AM »
I believe you will find that alot of the previous episodes that have been excluded from reairing will remain as such as far as this DVD set is concerned.

You can draw your conclusions from that as you wish.

TimK2003

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2008, 10:53:47 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'174533\' date=\'Jan 11 2008, 01:19 PM\']

If they have Barker's last show, that's fine.  The entire week is a bit overkill.  
[/quote]

Agreed.  But somewhere in the back of the mind, you wonder if including *ALL* of the final week of Barker's reign was a final ego stroke for Barker -- If Carson's last week on the Tonight Show can do it, than so can I, especially since I hosted "Price" longer than Carson hosted "Tonight".

...But Carson's final week was far better!!!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2008, 11:11:24 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'174713\' date=\'Jan 13 2008, 10:53 AM\']But somewhere in the back of the mind, you wonder if including *ALL* of the final week of Barker's reign was a final ego stroke for Barker -- If Carson's last week on the Tonight Show can do it, than so can I, especially since I hosted "Price" longer than Carson hosted "Tonight".

...But Carson's final week was far better!!![/quote]
Is Carson's entire final week on DVD?  I have The Ultimate Collection and that has the Thursday and Friday shows from Carson's last week.  From what I've seen, the newer Definitive Collection is primarily the previously released sets in one box.