Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buzzer Lock-Out Software  (Read 43180 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2008, 08:02:38 PM »
[quote name=\'MyronMMeyer\' post=\'175045\' date=\'Jan 15 2008, 04:34 PM\']
So, does it work with Windows XP and the "Buzz! The Mega Quiz" for PS2 controllers and Joy2Key? Because I can be on eBay in about 3 seconds if it does.
[/quote]
Yes. That's the entire point of this project. Commence Ebaying. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Sodboy13

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2008, 11:37:35 PM »
[quote name=\'MyronMMeyer\' post=\'175045\' date=\'Jan 15 2008, 06:34 PM\']
Very, very nice.

So, does it work with Windows XP and the "Buzz! The Mega Quiz" for PS2 controllers and Joy2Key? Because I can be on eBay in about 3 seconds if it does.

-Myron
[/quote]

Oh, it works.  It works magnificently.

Between this, the Weakest Link game control, and the PokerFace and 1 vs. 100 presentations I'm cobbling together in Powerpoint... er, OpenOffice Impress, it's shaping up to be quite the quiz show night at my place in a couple months' time.

[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'174943\' date=\'Jan 15 2008, 01:36 AM\']
//The relatives got a taste of the Quizzard last year, and they're hooked.
///It's a gateway drug, you see
[/quote]

Does this mean my aunt and uncle were enablers when they gave me $OTC for Christmas in '87?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 11:41:44 PM by Sodboy13 »
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Sodboy13

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2008, 02:33:03 PM »
Those of you interested in picking up Buzz! for its buzzers may want to hold off a little while.  According to ign.com, Buzz! is coming out for PS3, and this time the USB buzzers will be wireless - and completely backward-compatible.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

clemon79

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2008, 02:51:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'175115\' date=\'Jan 16 2008, 11:33 AM\']
Those of you interested in picking up Buzz! for its buzzers may want to hold off a little while.  According to ign.com, Buzz! is coming out for PS3, and this time the USB buzzers will be wireless - and completely backward-compatible.
[/quote]
Of course, if you don't have a PS3, (and <cheap plug> why would you ;) </cheap plug>) the software is then worthless.

But wireless pads would make a big difference, although I still wasn't impressed by the flimsy nature of the buttons on the Buzz controller.

Sodboy13

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2008, 03:01:30 PM »
For sake of comparison, did you ever give those XBox 360 "Scene It?" controllers a try?

(And since the PS2 controls are starting to show up stand-alone on eBay, I'd imagine the wireless ones would, too.)

clemon79

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2008, 03:44:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'175120\' date=\'Jan 16 2008, 12:01 PM\']
For sake of comparison, did you ever give those XBox 360 "Scene It?" controllers a try?
[/quote]Should work fine. They enumerate as an Xbox controller, and I just tried the Xbox controller I have sitting here (because I wasn't sure if an Xbox controller behaved as a regular gamepad) and Joy2Key worked like a champ. I know you can't address them directly in VB, though.

Sodboy13

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2008, 04:15:46 PM »
Ah. I was just wondering as far as quality and durablity is concerned, in comparison to the Buzz! controllers.

clemon79

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2008, 05:15:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'175136\' date=\'Jan 16 2008, 01:15 PM\']
Ah. I was just wondering as far as quality and durablity is concerned, in comparison to the Buzz! controllers.
[/quote]
Oh, in terms of that, they are FAR better made. I mean, by a LOT. The Big Button Pads feel nice and solid, and the infrared works way way better than I ever thought it would. Really, the lone disadvantage is the inability to address directly when developing for them, and even then I think I was told that you can do it with the proper API's in C++ (or maybe C#), but that addressing doesn't exist in VB, which is what I develop in (when I'm developing.)

jmangin

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2008, 05:23:53 PM »
I use the handheld USB controllers from buzzers.com.  They work great and if you email the manufacturer they will tell you how to switch each handheld output to a specific character using the binary switches inside.

clemon79

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2008, 05:49:22 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'175161\' date=\'Jan 16 2008, 02:23 PM\']
I use the handheld USB controllers from buzzers.com.  They work great and if you email the manufacturer they will tell you how to switch each handheld output to a specific character using the binary switches inside.
[/quote]
Those are _insanely_ expensive, though, considering you can get Scene It! for $60 (or Buzz! for less) and get four controllers with more than one single button. They appear to be very very well made, though. But still, I don't think most people want to drop $150 (minimum) on three controllers, when they can get 4 for $60 max.

Speedy G

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2008, 09:18:35 PM »
I've experimented a bit with Wii Remotes talking to a PC with a Bluetooth dongle, and have a setup that seems to work fine, plus I can tinker with it as I please.

Obviously, if you don't own a Wii or only a couple of Wiimotes, it's just as expensive as buying buzzers off the shelf.  But if you already happen to own a set of Wiimotes, it's cheap to do.  Just have to buy a Bluetooth adapter for your computer if it's not already Bluetooth enabled (the one I bought from Kensington cost $30).

I've used the Wii Linux wiki as my main source of information in figuring out how do to this.  It's not too difficult, but it's by no means plug-n-play either.  It can be a PITA to sync up the Wiimotes with the PC, but the software I'm using (GlovePIE) is as easy as opening up a script file and clicking Run.  Assuming of course that you have a script file that does what you want it to, or are capable of coming up with one.
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

clemon79

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2008, 09:48:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Speedy G\' post=\'175560\' date=\'Jan 19 2008, 06:18 PM\']
But if you already happen to own a set of Wiimotes, it's cheap to do.  Just have to buy a Bluetooth adapter for your computer if it's not already Bluetooth enabled (the one I bought from Kensington cost $30).
[/quote]
I regularly see them online for $15 or less, as well.

kbnky

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2008, 03:20:43 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'174778\' date=\'Jan 14 2008, 01:46 AM\']
$otC Control

Let me know what y'all think.
[/quote]

Can you please repost the software you created? It seems to have expired.

I would love to see what you have done.

Thanks.

uncleplinko

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2008, 02:03:53 PM »
OK...Shoot me for bumping the topic, but I need more info.

[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'175158\' date=\'Jan 16 2008, 06:15 PM\']
Oh, in terms of that, they are FAR better made. I mean, by a LOT. The Big Button Pads feel nice and solid, and the infrared works way way better than I ever thought it would. Really, the lone disadvantage is the inability to address directly when developing for them, and even then I think I was told that you can do it with the proper API's in C++ (or maybe C#), but that addressing doesn't exist in VB, which is what I develop in (when I'm developing.)
[/quote]

So, I just got the Scene It? Big Button pads, and they feel great.  Problem is...my Vista PC doesn't recognize the infrared receiver.  Any thoughts from anyone?
HomeGameEntertainment.com
"Bringing The Contestant Experience Home"

clemon79

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2008, 02:11:44 PM »
So if you plug the infrared receiver into your PC, it doesn't show up as a standard game controller? It comes at you looking for a driver? That's odd...that's not what I was told.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 02:14:13 PM by clemon79 »