Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buzzer Lock-Out Software  (Read 43161 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 01:17:17 AM »
The words "friggin' masterful" come to mind. :)

How did you get such a clean version of the buzzer sound? (And would you be willing to share it?)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve McClellan

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 02:08:10 AM »
Ooh. Nifty.

I think it's great as it stands now, but if you want feedback, you might consider putting the player's buzzer keys farther apart, and/or adding a way to start a new game without reopening the program (if there's a way to do it, I'm not seeing it). But those are minor. Like I said, nifty.

clemon79

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 02:11:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' post=\'174783\' date=\'Jan 13 2008, 11:08 PM\']
I think it's great as it stands now, but if you want feedback, you might consider putting the player's buzzer keys farther apart,[/quote]
I see your point, but I like it how it is now, because it's easy to remember for the "host". The point of the app was for the buzzers themselves to be controlled from a source other than three people crowded around a keyboard.

comicus

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 03:58:14 AM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'174778\' date=\'Jan 14 2008, 12:46 AM\']
$otC Control

Let me know what y'all think.
[/quote]
Having tried it once, I can heartily attest that it's better than watching Temptation.

jmangin

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 07:02:39 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'174779\' date=\'Jan 14 2008, 01:17 AM\']
How did you get such a clean version of the buzzer sound? (And would you be willing to share it?)
[/quote]
I ripped it from an episode I have and cleaned it up, then added a little bit of an echo.

Glad you like it!

Sodboy13

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 09:20:30 AM »
Ho.  Ly.  Crap.

Other than that, words fail me.  Thank you so much!
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

JayDLewis

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 10:05:08 AM »
As someone who also made a $otC control...this is pretty damn sweet.

Also, as someone whose website has provided sound effects for dozens of these home-grown games, thank you for actually giving credit.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

clemon79

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 01:39:20 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'174794\' date=\'Jan 14 2008, 04:02 AM\']
I ripped it from an episode I have and cleaned it up, then added a little bit of an echo.
[/quote]
Wow. What did you do to clean it up? It was a masterful job, whatever it was...I could have sworn it was either a fantastic reproduction or in-the-clear.

jmangin

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008, 02:17:14 PM »
I'm contemplating adding other features such as Instant Bargains/Cash and a Fame Game board.

For the Instant Bargains, what were the prize values and sale price ranges?  From what I can remember, the first IB was worth anywhere between $400 and $900 and cost $5-$7 to purchase.

Also, when controlling the IB segment, would you rather have a "shop clock" or words flashing that say "Going once...Going twice...", or none at all and just press a key if the contestant passes?

How frequent were Sale Surprises?

clemon79

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 02:24:31 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'174830\' date=\'Jan 14 2008, 11:17 AM\']
Also, when controlling the IB segment, would you rather have a "shop clock" or words flashing that say "Going once...Going twice...", or none at all and just press a key if the contestant passes?
[/quote]
Not sure that you need to *do* anything for the IB...you already have the effect to ring the bell, the player buzzes or not, and you can adjust the score accordingly. What's to do? I don't think flashing the price of the IB on-screen is necessary at all.

jmangin

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2008, 03:11:02 PM »
Well I was thinking of adding in a library of prizes that the game could use.  I thought a radio button to use the internal prizes or opt out and just have the sound effects would be neat too.

I also thought about adding in a "standard format" radio button that would automatically set the right number of questions and ring effects at the proper interval.

From Wikipedia...
A cycle of the question segments and the special games occurred three times on each show, depending on the time used. The format of each program (after 1984) was as follows:

* The first cycle consisted of five $5 questions then an Instant Bargain, followed by three more $5 questions and the first Fame Game (with a $10 Money Card available).
    * The second segment consisted of three $5 questions, the second Instant Bargain and five more $5 questions before going to a commercial break (with host Perry reading a fact or a statistic about the last question before going to the break).
    * In segment three, the Fame Game was played (with a $15 Money Card added), followed by three more $5 questions and an instant bargain (later Instant Cash).
    * The final segment of the game consisted of three more $5 questions, the last Fame Game (with a $25 Money Card added), followed by a 60-second speed round to determine the winner.

Think that would be a good feature (able to be turned on or off), or am I just creating too much work for myself?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 03:13:50 PM by jmangin »

clemon79

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 03:29:36 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'174841\' date=\'Jan 14 2008, 12:11 PM\']
Well I was thinking of adding in a library of prizes that the game could use.  I thought a radio button to use the internal prizes or opt out and just have the sound effects would be neat too.
[/quote]
As long as it can be switched off, so it can just be used as a game control, go nuts. Options never suck. :) I just think it gets in the way as a forced option. JMODO. :)
Think that would be a good feature (able to be turned on or off), or am I just creating too much work for myself?
Here's the thing: around here, someone is ALWAYS going to think that something like that is a good feature. It might get you an extra couple thousand thumbs up from someone like GSNFAN3000, but I think you're making way too much work for yourself.

vtown7

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2008, 11:09:11 PM »
Thanks for the neat software jmangin!  After playing around with it (it took me awhile to realize that I had to keep joy2key open) I got it to work!  It's great!

Cheers

Ryan :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 11:37:52 PM by vtown7 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2008, 02:36:08 AM »
You'll be receiving a fairly sizeable dental bill from me shortly, what with my jaw hitting the floor and all...

[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'174841\' date=\'Jan 14 2008, 12:11 PM\']Think that would be a good feature (able to be turned on or off), or am I just creating too much work for myself?[/quote]This is just the opinion of one guy, and I'm not going to pee in the well water, but I'm a big fan of customizability. If you start with a fairly plain vanilla set-up, the user can decide what rules he wants to use. (Perhaps some of us would rather the third bargain to be another prize, as opposed to Instant Cash) That way, you can brush aside any complaints with: "Well, yes, it's true I didn't include a Fame Game board. 1) you paid exactly nothing for it and 2) how hard would it be to print up a stack of cards to use instead?" (And yes, even if you charge nothing, you'll still get complaints from dummkopfs who complain that you didn't get the kerning or shading just so. Screw 'em. Why cause yourself a headache for someone who'll complain no matter what.

/This whole thing makes me want to pick up where I left off with my Temptation quiz book.
//The relatives got a taste of the Quizzard last year, and they're hooked.
///It's a gateway drug, you see.
////Though not a high quality one.
Travis L. Eberle

MyronMMeyer

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2008, 07:34:11 PM »
Very, very nice.

So, does it work with Windows XP and the "Buzz! The Mega Quiz" for PS2 controllers and Joy2Key? Because I can be on eBay in about 3 seconds if it does.

-Myron
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 07:37:22 PM by MyronMMeyer »