Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How Much Is Enough?  (Read 19164 times)

lobster

How Much Is Enough?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2008, 03:02:59 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'174536\' date=\'Jan 11 2008, 11:57 AM\']
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'174525\' date=\'Jan 11 2008, 08:39 AM\']
The only problem with FOF was the fact that your winning money is completely out of your hands no matter how you played.[/quote]
No, it really wasn't.
[/quote]
Sure it was.  Case in point, I had already decided on the plane on the way out that I was going to go Foe no matter the partner, so in my case it was unfortunately pre-determined for my eventual partner that they were going to lose before the game even began.  Nothing she could have done -- therefore, out of her hands entirely.

Not allowing us to interact was the flaw, because she didn't even have the chance to try to sway me.

"what's the test, here, really?"
"Can I get through a half-hour of this crap without plunging a butter knife into my temple?"

it was a horrible show
but a railroad spike is a better visual for me

That Don Guy

How Much Is Enough?
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2008, 03:28:32 PM »
I for one have been trying to figure out a way to put a little more thinking into the end game - something along the lines of having the players' buttons be hidden, as in the main game, and if neither player presses their button before the clock reaches its limit, both players leave with the amounts they won in the main game, and if only one person presses, one or the other player wins that amount.  However, it always seems to come down to either (a) there's no incentive to press, in which case nobody does, and they each get money, or (b) there's no incentive not to press, in which case it's the same as what they do now.

-- Don

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
How Much Is Enough?
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2008, 03:58:18 PM »
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'174550\' date=\'Jan 11 2008, 12:02 PM\']
Sure it was.[/quote]
My point was that it wasn't the only problem, not that the problem you cited wasn't valid.
Case in point, I had already decided on the plane on the way out that I was going to go Foe no matter the partner
Which is the correct strategic decision, Always. There was NO reason to EVER go Friend. "Win half or win nothing" versus "Win all or win nothing" is a no-brainer. The only way you win anything is if your partner is an idiot.

(Which makes the guy who swore up a storm after making the incorrect decision even funnier.)
Not allowing us to interact was the flaw, because she didn't even have the chance to try to sway me.
Yeah, a social experiment where the participants aren't allowed to socialize just isn't gonna turn out well. Thankfully, most of the people they cast were morons.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

How Much Is Enough?
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2008, 04:04:44 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'174555\' date=\'Jan 11 2008, 12:28 PM\']
I for one have been trying to figure out a way to put a little more thinking into the end game - something along the lines of having the players' buttons be hidden, as in the main game, and if neither player presses their button before the clock reaches its limit, both players leave with the amounts they won in the main game, and if only one person presses, one or the other player wins that amount.  However, it always seems to come down to either (a) there's no incentive to press, in which case nobody does, and they each get money, or (b) there's no incentive not to press, in which case it's the same as what they do now.
[/quote]
Bingo. Under your system, there is never a reason to let the clock reach the end, because the correct decision is to hit the button at some point after your score going in has been reached, but before your opponents is reached, because that is when they will be incented to do the same. Makes it *exactly* the same game.

This concept has been floated on this forum and in ATGS over the years, with different window dressing, and every single time the exact flaws that we're now seeing in practice have been brought up. (And usually the OP dismissed them with "well, I think it's a good idea anyhow.")

bandit_bobby

How Much Is Enough?
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2008, 06:07:04 PM »
I may be in the minority here, but I really liked the concept of it.

chad1m

How Much Is Enough?
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2008, 08:21:17 PM »
If anyone is at all surprised, please click the "X" in the upper right hand of your screen right now.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
How Much Is Enough?
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2008, 09:08:05 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'174603\' date=\'Jan 11 2008, 05:21 PM\']If anyone is at all surprised, please click the "X" in the upper right hand of your screen right now.[/quote]Honestly, I thought he was going to say "It sucks because they don't give away nearly enough money for doing nothing more than pushing a button." But you beat me to it.

/Was one of the people massaging the "button pusher wins the money" idea myself, but realized that the idea utterly falls apart in the final act.
//Next year: Push the Buzzer, Win a Dollar on your local MyNet stations.
Travis L. Eberle

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
How Much Is Enough?
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2008, 12:02:44 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'174605\' date=\'Jan 11 2008, 09:08 PM\']
//Next year: Push the Buzzer, Win a Dollar Lotsa Love on your local MyNet stations.
[/quote]

Fremantled that for you.
@lambertman

WildJoker76

How Much Is Enough?
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2008, 10:08:34 PM »
Does anyone know the contestants names on the very first episode of the show?

Don Howard

How Much Is Enough?
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2008, 08:47:37 PM »
[quote name=\'WildJoker76\' post=\'178669\' date=\'Feb 23 2008, 10:08 PM\']
Does anyone know the contestants names on the very first episode of the show?
[/quote]
Yes, I imagine the contestants probably do.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
How Much Is Enough?
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2008, 02:32:25 PM »
And people say Mindreaders stank.

tvmitch

How Much Is Enough?
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2008, 11:58:33 AM »
If I were Corbin, and I had to do 40 (or whatever) episodes of this show, I'd shoot myself in the foot halfway through.
You should follow me on Twitter

clemon79

How Much Is Enough?
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2008, 01:10:51 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'179257\' date=\'Feb 28 2008, 08:58 AM\']
If I were Corbin, and I had to do 40 (or whatever) episodes of this show, I'd shoot myself in the foot halfway through.
[/quote]
If I were Corbin, I'd be counting my money after every episode taping and asking myself the eponymous question...

bandit_bobby

How Much Is Enough?
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2008, 03:49:29 PM »
Interesting note on Wednesday's episode:

During the final round before the Final Face-Off, when they revealed where each player had stopped at, usually they would reveal the two lowest amounts before the two biggest amounts were shown. On at least this episode, however, they did the random reveals as in Rounds 2-4. What do you think about this change?

J.R.

How Much Is Enough?
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2008, 04:23:58 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'179287\' date=\'Feb 28 2008, 02:49 PM\']What do you think about this change?[/quote]
The show still sucks.
-Joe Raygor