Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Duel Ratings  (Read 15631 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Duel Ratings
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2007, 05:19:18 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'173334\' date=\'Dec 28 2007, 02:12 PM\']
Dump the Tourney, but keep the growing pot. Win a game...take your winnings home or risk em for another Duel. Win 5 dues, take the pot home. Lose a game, lose your money, which gets dumped into the pot.
[/quote]
That works for me. (In fact, I really like it.) I could see the pot getting REALLY big REALLY fast, though.

(Unless you guys are thinking of this as a weekly. I have it in my head as a daily strip.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Duel Ratings
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2007, 05:25:48 PM »
I always figured that if you wanted to do this as a 5-a-week strip and wanted to save money, you have the Big Prize be a fixed amount (say $10,000 in GSN's case).  I do like the Joker's Jackpot idea, though.

/Get Croton to make Duel watches as parting gifts.  Those could be cool.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 05:26:16 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

tpirfan28

Duel Ratings
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2007, 05:39:11 PM »
I was thinking maybe 10 chips @ $50 each for GSN...but you'd still be pulling $10,000 a week.
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'173337\' date=\'Dec 28 2007, 05:25 PM\']
[/quote]
What about lots of love?

/sarcasm FWIW.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

MikeK

• Martha!
Duel Ratings
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2007, 05:48:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'173337\' date=\'Dec 28 2007, 05:25 PM\']/Get Croton to make Duel watches as parting gifts.  Those could be cool.[/quote]
I'd rather have one of Greeny's pens from Duel with the custom engraving "You're watching Duel on ABC".

[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'173339\' date=\'Dec 28 2007, 05:39 PM\']What about lots of love?[/quote]
How about wearing Rossi's love on your chest?

That came out the wrong way...

That did as well.

tvwxman

Duel Ratings
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2007, 05:57:33 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'173341\' date=\'Dec 28 2007, 05:48 PM\']
How about wearing Rossi's love on your chest?

That came out the wrong way...

That did as well.
[/quote]
I lol'd Hard.

/That too came out wrong.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Matt Ottinger

Duel Ratings
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2007, 06:18:25 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'173336\' date=\'Dec 28 2007, 05:19 PM\']
That works for me. (In fact, I really like it.) I could see the pot getting REALLY big REALLY fast, though.[/quote]
Not necessarily a bad thing, though, even for the bean counters.  You figure your budget based on the number of chips that get played per show.  Doesn't matter whether they go home a little at a time or in one big jackpot.  You're counting on them going home with somebody eventually, and you budget based on that.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

Duel Ratings
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2007, 07:14:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'173344\' date=\'Dec 28 2007, 03:18 PM\']
Not necessarily a bad thing, though, even for the bean counters.  You figure your budget based on the number of chips that get played per show.  Doesn't matter whether they go home a little at a time or in one big jackpot.  You're counting on them going home with somebody eventually, and you budget based on that.
[/quote]
True. And I missed the part about players who fail to quit in time "donating" their winnings into the jackpot, which does simplify the math a lot. I had it in my head that there was the potential for winnings to "fly away," and that that needed to be figured in.

So I guess for me the question is what is realistic in terms of the value of a chip, for a GSN budget. Still seems a little dodgy to figure out, due to how much fluctuation there can be between the number of chips played in a game: at $500 per, could be $1000 worth, could be $9,500 worth. I wonder how many trials it would take for the average to level off.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 07:14:48 PM by clemon79 »

Mr. Armadillo

Duel Ratings
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2007, 12:23:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'173333\' date=\'Dec 28 2007, 04:10 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'173331\' date=\'Dec 28 2007, 03:53 PM\']
Does it work if you yank out the "tournament" nonsense? Players start with $5K in chips, you win whatever you keep, you keep playing as long as you win, $500 house minimum if it goes to a shootout?
[/quote]

Seeing as how GSN keeps their games in the $6K range, I think that could work.  Figure 3 duels a show, 5 chips for an average win - that's $7,500 a show.  A little pricey for GSN's current crop, but I'm guessing the contestant coordinators could make sure the chips are spent freely during gameplay, given their general casting tendencies.
[/quote]
Also, they could probably edit out fewer questions...I find it hard to believe that there was not a single question all week that both contestants did not know the answer to without pressing.

(Plus, 5 chips per average win seems generous...outside of the one-question, nine-chip winners, how many games saw the winner keep more than two or three?)

davidhammett

Duel Ratings
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2007, 01:42:57 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'173334\' date=\'Dec 28 2007, 06:12 PM\']
Do it sorta like the Brits (according to BothersBar)...
Dump the Tourney, but keep the growing pot. Win a game...take your winnings home or risk em for another Duel. Win 5 dues, take the pot home. Lose a game, lose your money, which gets dumped into the pot.
[/quote]
So basically a twist on the old Joker's Jackpot, which could be cool.

MyronMMeyer

Duel Ratings
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2007, 10:35:17 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'173337\' date=\'Dec 28 2007, 04:25 PM\']
[/quote]

I still don't have my MGC watch. But it's only been 60 out of the 120 days to wait, so whatever.

-M
Off topic.

itiparanoid13

Duel Ratings
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2008, 03:47:19 PM »
We'll obviously have to wait for official ABC confirmation, but a recent Craigslist post is suggesting that Duel is coming back for a second season.  No word of a huge cash jackpot like what was plastered all over the first season casting notices yet, just the promise of "Huge cash for winners", so maybe we went for the British idea of a definite amount of wins = jackpot, which I'd at least enjoy much more.  I liked the trivia aspect, but the tournament format did nothing for me.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 03:49:15 PM by itiparanoid13 »

clemon79

Duel Ratings
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2008, 03:53:12 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'178366\' date=\'Feb 20 2008, 12:47 PM\']
We'll obviously have to wait for official ABC confirmation, but a recent Craigslist post is suggesting that Duel is coming back for a second season.  No word of a huge cash jackpot like what was plastered all over the first season casting notices yet, just the promise of "Huge cash for winners", so maybe we went for the British idea of a definite amount of wins = jackpot, which I'd at least enjoy much more.  I liked the trivia aspect, but the tournament format did nothing for me.
[/quote]
Good. I liked it well enough, but I'm with you, I thought the tournament took away from the game, and a building jackpot is a lot more interesting.

(It's still a show to be watched via Tivo, though. You can bang through all of the actual content inside of 20 minutes.)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Duel Ratings
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2008, 04:29:17 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'178366\' date=\'Feb 20 2008, 04:47 PM\'] No word of a huge cash jackpot like what was plastered all over the first season casting notices yet, just the promise of "Huge cash for winners", so maybe we went for the British idea of a definite amount of wins = jackpot, which I'd at least enjoy much more.  I liked the trivia aspect, but the tournament format did nothing for me.
[/quote]

So is this close in concept to the old Joker's Jackpot? I forgot who said it or where, but as soon as I heard that, it was a eureka moment. Great mechanic, and an easy solution to the tourney format if they ever wanted to make "Duel" a regular part of the schedule.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Matt Ottinger

Duel Ratings
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2008, 04:33:59 PM »
This is a show that would have benefited hugely from a faster pace, and saw no benefit whatsoever from its ginormous jackpot.  ABC did itself no favors by stuffing an extra 30 minutes of dull filler into the first two episodes.  The later episodes didn't exactly zip along, but were a lot more tolerable.

Encouraged by the thought of a second go-round, though.  Maybe we can hope for a learned-from-their-mistakes improvement?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Fedya

Duel Ratings
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2008, 04:39:17 PM »
Our esteemed moderator wrote:
Encouraged by the thought of a second go-round, though. Maybe we can hope for a learned-from-their-mistakes improvement?

Sure, we'll get Celebrity Duel.  ;-)

[Fedya ducks to avoid the tomatoes....]
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post