Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Duel Ratings  (Read 15656 times)

sotcfan2004

Duel Ratings
« on: December 18, 2007, 12:57:55 PM »
...meh.

READ HERE

weaklink75

Duel Ratings
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 01:32:16 PM »
[quote name=\'sotcfan2004\' post=\'172374\' date=\'Dec 18 2007, 12:57 PM\']
...meh.

READ HERE
[/quote]

It was consistant at least-about 7 million viewers- and the 18-49's went up as the show went on apparently from PI feedback. Tonight's ratings will be more of a barometer I think (although they are throwing a new NCIS up on CBS I believe). They're also expanding tonights ep to 90 minutes as well...

Edit: CBS pulled the new NCIS episode tonight it appears- so that helps a little.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 01:33:44 PM by weaklink75 »

uncamark

Duel Ratings
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 03:43:54 PM »
Way too close to call, considering that it was a virtual tie at 8 p.m.

There may be more sampling tonight, as people who watched "Clash" last night may watch "Duel" and vice versa.  We may not get a hint of how either show is going to do until Wednesday.

DrJWJustice

Duel Ratings
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 08:32:07 PM »
It seems to me that Millionaire was expected to have so-so ratings throughout.  It started out OK but not smashing, but we all know where it was when the two weeks was up.  That being said, I'll work a review in here to justify why I don't think this one's going to last long.  

I'm not sure at all that this is going to be another "Millionaire."  In 1999, the prime time game show was a thing of the past, and "Millionaire" was the first major attempt at it in years (not counting WoF or J!).  It was a simple game with just enough drama and certainly enough play-along factor to keep it very interesting.  

Duel's host didn't exactly impress me.  In fact, he reminded me of a toned-down version of (gag) Patrick Wayne with his repetitiveness.   At least I didn't hear any "YOUUUUUUU WINNNNNN" from him.  He was also painfully slow.  If he would keep the game moving at a faster pace, it might do a better job of keeping my attention.  Fortunately, the music cues have enough bass to keep my sound system rattling the floors -- and me awake.

The game itself does have some neat ideas, particularly the gambling and competitive aspect.  The pressure tactic is an interesting twist, IMO, but beyond that, this game really doesn't introduce anything really novel.  Everyone's doing the idea of going to commercial before revealing answers.  Everyone's doing multiple choice questions (or multiple guess, and even then with four chips, it's not really a guess).  I did like the set and particularly the SFX/music cues, but I felt that they distracted from the show more than add to it.  This stuff should compliment the game, not become the game.  Way too much glitz & glamour for my taste.

The most annoying thing is not the game itself, but the commercials ABC keeps airing.  I'll add my voice to the chorus on this one ... they're spoiling the game.  What's the point of watching when I know who's going to win and play later -- and know for how much they'll be playing.  I watched the episode online, and I saw the commercial showing the challenger from the game in progress getting to pick her next challenger!!  It became a matter of how many questions we'd see before the inevitable happened to the first champion.    

I'm not holding my breath on this show, but it does have plenty of room to go up.  It could be worse, but it needs to be a lot better if it's going to make it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 09:00:28 PM by DrJWJustice »

weaklink75

Duel Ratings
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 12:16:36 PM »
Well night 2's ratings are in... It's gone down a little, but the competition was a little tougher (specifically, NCIS was a lot stronger than the House rerun last night). Let's see how the 18-49's turn out...

weaklink75

Duel Ratings
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 12:41:13 PM »
NIght 3's ratings...it's consistant if anything... I don't know what ABC is looking for in ratings to bring it back- it seems to be stuck at just over 7 million viewers (and the 18-49's are not bad-just about even with Clash of the Choirs)....They picked up the pace last night, which is good. I'll be interested to see how it does on Sunday night- It's up against an Amazing Race episode (after a week off for the Survivor finale), but it could be delayed by a football overrun (but it's the Patriots/Dolphins game in most of the country-so that's another factor)

\we won't get the Patriots/Dolphins game here- we get Ravens/Seahawks

\\Billick needs to be fired-you just don't lose to the Dolphins....

\\\he should have gone for it on 4th and Inches...

GS Warehouse

Duel Ratings
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 04:02:21 PM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'172571\' date=\'Dec 20 2007, 01:41 PM\']
\we won't get the Patriots/Dolphins game here- we get Ravens/Seahawks
[/quote]
You might actually have the better game.  I mean, 14-0 vs. 1-13?  The NFL should award the Miami Guppies a half-win if they hold New England under 50 points.

[quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'172571\' date=\'Dec 20 2007, 01:41 PM\']
\\Billick needs to be fired-you just don't lose to the Dolphins....
[/quote]
Billick coached the Ravens this year the way he played MGPM 30 years ago.  The guy won a Super Bowl, but believe me, he [blanks].

/ Bears repeating?
// not this year. :-(

Yogi007

Duel Ratings
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 04:18:35 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' post=\'172597\' date=\'Dec 20 2007, 05:02 PM\']
You might actually have the better game.  I mean, 14-0 vs. 1-13?  The NFL should award the Miami Guppies a half-win if they hold New England under 50 points.

[/quote]
Hey, the Dolphins held the Pats to under 50 the first time they met this season, in Week 7.  Granted, the Pats scored 49, but if they did it once...

/Dol-fan here but don't tell anybody.
//I picked NE this week in my football pool but don't tell anybody.
///Prior to last week's win, the last time the Dolphins won a game was against the Pats last year.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 04:20:16 PM by Yogi007 »
sarcasm included at no extra charge

weaklink75

Duel Ratings
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 12:51:33 PM »
Ouch....Thursday wasn't good.  4th in the timeslot (CBS 1st-NBC 2nd-Fox 3rd)...

Chuck Sutton

Duel Ratings
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 04:17:02 PM »
It appears people perferred Are You Smater Than a Fifth Grader?

ON a similar note when was the last time 3 games shows aired at the same time in prime time? (even if one is  rerun)

weaklink75

Chuck Sutton

Duel Ratings
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 09:29:38 AM »
On a side note The Singing Bee losing to Duel and a rerun of Lyrics is probably the final nail in its coffin,

Who really thought Lyrics would be the more successful of the two?

lobster

Duel Ratings
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 10:11:39 AM »
[quote name=\'Chuck Sutton\' post=\'172885\' date=\'Dec 23 2007, 08:29 AM\']
On a side note The Singing Bee losing to Duel and a rerun of Lyrics is probably the final nail in its coffin,

Who really thought Lyrics would be the more successful of the two?
[/quote]

Beforehand, never -- purely based on Fox yet again ripping off an existing show -- but it turned out Lyrics really is much more entertaining to watch than Bee .. of course the ONLY way to watch it is by Tivo, as it's one of the higher offenders of drama-stretching, Wayne Brady is a surprisingly decent host and it is somewhat entertaining..

W/ Bee, that elimination round is silly and the general execution of the game is lame..  I'm surprised they have that $50k top prize.. strange for a primetime NBC game show, no?

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Duel Ratings
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 01:27:01 PM »
Bee got no respect in the Indy market; WTHR bumped it for a holiday special. Usually, they'll either move bumped NBC prime-time shows over to their all-weather station WALV (on an in-set screen with a radar map on the left-hand side and a news scroll/text ads panel on the bottom), or slot them for late-night or weekend runs. This time, they did none of the above.
@lambertman

BrandonFG

Duel Ratings
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 02:21:31 PM »
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'172886\' date=\'Dec 23 2007, 10:11 AM\']
Beforehand, never -- purely based on Fox yet again ripping off an existing show -- but it turned out Lyrics really is much more entertaining to watch than Bee .. of course the ONLY way to watch it is by Tivo, as it's one of the higher offenders of drama-stretching, Wayne Brady is a surprisingly decent host and it is somewhat entertaining..
[/quote]
See, I preferred Bee because it offered more variety (loved the mini-games idea), and could deal with a lower top prize if it meant putting an entertaining game behind it. I just couldn't get into Lyrics for a number of reasons: FOX's rushing to copy NBC, the drawn-out pacing, Mark Thompson, the money tree, Mark Thompson, the fact that it's Smarter Than a 5th Grader with karaoke, Mark Thompson.

/Did I mention Mark Thompson?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!