Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: B&W Overnight Returns!  (Read 6359 times)

xavier45

B&W Overnight Returns!
« on: December 10, 2007, 10:54:36 PM »
The Perf has reported that GSN is putting back the B&W overnight back to the 3-4am, 7 days a week schedule. This will happen on December 31st. The shows that will take the spot are WML? and I've Got A Secret. He also reports that the Late Saturday and Sunday night schedule will be revamped. I wonder if they are going to be putting The Amazing Race into those spots? He says he will have it up later on tonight.

But it is great to see B&W overnight back. Hopefully this is not temporary.

http://tvgameshows.net/bignews.htm

Matt Ottinger

B&W Overnight Returns!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 11:17:21 PM »
Hey, that's great news!  More Cullen IGAS!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

DjohnsonCB

B&W Overnight Returns!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 11:52:09 PM »
Unfortunately, if they revamp the late Sunday lineup, that will more than likely mean the end of "Double Dare" before they get to the 1977 shows I didn't get to see after the show disappeared from Cedar Rapids TV due to the move by CBS to an hour earlier, and The All-New Beat The Clock before it gets to the end of its run.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 11:52:58 PM by DjohnsonCB »
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Jay Temple

B&W Overnight Returns!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 01:27:39 AM »
Meh. It's nice to see more hours spent on B&W, but I rather enjoyed having a different show each week.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Chelsea Thrasher

B&W Overnight Returns!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 02:44:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'171765\' date=\'Dec 11 2007, 01:27 AM\'] Meh. It's nice to see more hours spent on B&W, but I rather enjoyed having a different show each week. [/quote]

Yes and no.  When it was something along the lines of, say, 70s TTTT - that was great.  On the other hand, a lot of the older B&W shows that GSN may not have a full group of (or even ones they do like The Name's The Same) aren't that great, and I can do without seeing on a continual basis.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 02:44:25 AM by Seth Thrasher »

mmb5

B&W Overnight Returns!
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 08:04:06 AM »
Theory...

The B&W shows probably have always had a steady core/cult audience.  As GSN grew, that audience was not as high as its normal ratings, hence the shuffle off into the hinterlands.  As the casual audience has now somewhat gone away due to people have to pay more for the channel, GSN is now back to being more of a cult than a general interest channel.  Now, the ratings for B&W are now not a hindrance, and therefore can be given more slots.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

WildJoker76

B&W Overnight Returns!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 08:57:46 AM »
With the revamping of Sat and Sun, I hope that doesn't affect the midnight block, maybe it might affect the eternal repeating Anything To Win along with the Game of the Week spot. I for one am glad its not affecting Tuesday-Friday at least in the case of NYSI and TT. I just hope DD, BTC and BL don't get affected.

Mike Tennant

B&W Overnight Returns!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 09:31:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'171755\' date=\'Dec 10 2007, 11:17 PM\']
Hey, that's great news!  More Cullen IGAS!
[/quote]
Fixed.  The qualifier, after all, was unnecessary.

Matt Ottinger

B&W Overnight Returns!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 11:46:59 AM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'171772\' date=\'Dec 11 2007, 09:31 AM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'171755\' date=\'Dec 10 2007, 11:17 PM\']Hey, that's great news!  More Cullen IGAS!
[/quote]Fixed.  The qualifier, after all, was unnecessary.[/quote]
Good point.

As to the "why" of all of this, my favorite theory is "why not?"  Between 3 and 4 am on a little-watched network which, as Mike pointed out earlier, is losing penetration as it moves to higher digital tiers, the rating has got to be just about zero.  They know that there are fans of the classic shows, they're sitting on the product, so since it doesn't make much difference what goes there, why not engender some goodwill?

Another thing, though again the impact is probably negligible:  Those of us who set our DVR's to record the overnight programming wake up in the morning to find our TV's tuned to GSN.  When I saw something I liked (Blockbusters, for example) I'd leave it on.  It might stay on GSN all day, especially now that fewer scripted shows are airing new epsodes in the foreseeable future. In other words, I watched a lot more GSN overall specifically because of the overnight block.  There probably aren't lots of us, but I bet I'm not the only one.

CaseyAbell

B&W Overnight Returns!
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 01:47:43 PM »
Agree with everything Matt says - sucking up to the moderator as usual - and of course the pennies count, too. Looks like GSN is avoiding any major purchases or development efforts and returning to mostly a rerun outpost...a TV Land for game shows with a few cheap originals sprinkled in. The biggest recent buy appears to be the WPT, and that property looks like it was almost given away by the Travel Channel.

So if you're going to mostly reruns, you might as well rerun the whole history of the genre, right back to the fifties. Even GSN's recent ad campaigns seem designed to emphasize reruns. Rayburn's Eleven, Men From GSN, Midnight Flashback...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 01:53:32 PM by CaseyAbell »

Jimmy Owen

B&W Overnight Returns!
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 05:38:48 PM »
Bring on more Barry Gray "Winner Take All."  If Letterman had hosted a game show in the fifties it would look exactly like Gray WTA.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

narzo

B&W Overnight Returns!
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 06:35:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'171812\' date=\'Dec 11 2007, 05:38 PM\']
Bring on more Barry Gray "Winner Take All."  
[/quote]

In the history of mankind, that is the first time that sentence has ever been uttered.

MrBuddwing

B&W Overnight Returns!
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 12:51:45 PM »
Never thought I'd say this, but isn't it time to give WML a (temporary) rest? Bring back TTTT and/or Password!

Matt Ottinger

B&W Overnight Returns!
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 01:00:44 PM »
[quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' post=\'171869\' date=\'Dec 12 2007, 12:51 PM\']Never thought I'd say this, but isn't it time to give WML a (temporary) rest? Bring back TTTT and/or Password![/quote]
Tough call.  It HAS only been going weekly for the last few months, and it's hard to call something that gets one 3am play a week overexposed.  But TTTT and Password have their fans as well, and they haven't been treated to a regular slot in a much longer time.

BrandonFG

B&W Overnight Returns!
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 03:21:18 PM »
[quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' post=\'171869\' date=\'Dec 12 2007, 12:51 PM\']
Bring back TTTT and/or Password!
[/quote]
I love the classic Passwords (hell, I just love Password*). However, I say wait until the CBS version premieres, then do a tie-in to that. I might even suggest doing a primetime run, but I also suggest not holding my breath.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!