Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Debating Game article (w/pics)  (Read 4955 times)

jalman

Debating Game article (w/pics)
« on: September 26, 2003, 08:37:11 PM »
Found this via the TVBarn Ticker, from the SF Chronicle.

I didn't notice any spoilers from what I've read, but at least I got to know one of Mary Carey's \"maneuvers\" and the typical Gary Coleman press (not really much more than I've already read).

Another thought:  one million viewers is GSN's largest audience?

Oddly enough, the article mentions some of the candidates who were invited, but didn't appear.

whampyl03

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2003, 10:47:07 PM »
Another thought: one million viewers is GSN's largest audience?

Sounds like really fuzzy math on somebody's part.  Last time I checked, GSN's biggest audience was during BB:TPYLS, a 1.8 Nielson.  Now if my math is correct, that's (very) roughly 400,000 folks.  But I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2003, 10:51:21 PM by whampyl03 »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2003, 11:23:01 PM »
The 1.8 rating would represent 1.8 percent of the total number of people who are capable of getting GSN's signal.  Seems I heard somewhere that they had passed the 50 million homes barrier.  A 1.8 for fifty million homes would be 900,000 viewers, so a million would seem about right, if all the other numbers are.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

whampyl03

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2003, 12:32:30 AM »
The 1.8 rating would represent 1.8 percent of the total number of people who are capable of getting GSN's signal. Seems I heard somewhere that they had passed the 50 million homes barrier. A 1.8 for fifty million homes would be 900,000 viewers, so a million would seem about right, if all the other numbers are.

Like I said, very roughly 400,000.  Hey, I was only off by 500,000!

Fedya

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2003, 09:33:29 AM »
[quote name=\'whampyl03\' date=\'Sep 26 2003, 11:32 PM\']
The 1.8 rating would represent 1.8 percent of the total number of people who are capable of getting GSN's signal. Seems I heard somewhere that they had passed the 50 million homes barrier. A 1.8 for fifty million homes would be 900,000 viewers, so a million would seem about right, if all the other numbers are.

Like I said, very roughly 400,000.  Hey, I was only off by 500,000! [/quote]
 That's no worse than most politicians' math!  :-)

(Seriously.  A few years back here in New York, the Assembly Speaker tried to justify a pay raise by claiming the Assembly members effectively earned minimum wage.  This was true -- if the Assembly members worked 31 hours a day, 365 days a year!)

I thought the 50 million was the number of households in which GSN was available, which would make 900,000 households viewing, and depending on how many people there are per household, over a million viewers.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post