Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: pyramid hypothetical  (Read 7446 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
pyramid hypothetical
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2007, 03:45:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'170960\' date=\'Nov 30 2007, 11:21 AM\']
No, no! He was great. He set the Lightning Round record, in fact. Can't speak for his Pyramid playing, however.
[/quote]
'Kay, then maybe someone else can refresh my memory...who was the celeb on Password who so didn't get it to the point that they stopped down and replaced him?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
pyramid hypothetical
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2007, 04:06:15 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'170975\' date=\'Nov 30 2007, 03:45 PM\']
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'170960\' date=\'Nov 30 2007, 11:21 AM\']
No, no! He was great. He set the Lightning Round record, in fact. Can't speak for his Pyramid playing, however.
[/quote]
'Kay, then maybe someone else can refresh my memory...who was the celeb on Password who so didn't get it to the point that they stopped down and replaced him?
[/quote]

I could have sworn that was the original "You Don't Say!", not "Password".

A celebrity (the name escapes me) just wasn't getting the idea of the game, and I think humming the Lone Ranger theme song as a clue for "Lone Ranger" was the last straw.

And also IIRC, he went home at his own request.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

clemon79

pyramid hypothetical
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2007, 05:38:45 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'170978\' date=\'Nov 30 2007, 01:06 PM\']

A celebrity (the name escapes me) just wasn't getting the idea of the game, and I think humming the Lone Ranger theme song as a clue for "Lone Ranger" was the last straw.

[/quote]
Might have been...and it would make more sense for it to be You Don't Say!, since they had that convoluted "you're not cluing the name directly, you're cluing a word that SOUNDS LIKE the name..." thing going on.

Adam Nedeff

pyramid hypothetical
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2007, 05:43:44 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'170984\' date=\'Nov 30 2007, 06:38 PM\']
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'170978\' date=\'Nov 30 2007, 01:06 PM\']

[/quote]
Might have been...and it would make more sense for it to be You Don't Say!, since they had that convoluted "you're not cluing the name directly, you're cluing a word that SOUNDS LIKE the name..." thing going on.
[/quote]
It was "You Don't Say!" A male celebrity (never identified by Tom when he tells the story) was given the name "John Wayne" and whistled the theme from "The High and the Mighty" instead of giving a clue. Tom tried to explain the game once more, only to have the celebrity argue, "But he was in that movie!" They finally stopped tape and sent him home.

Neumms

pyramid hypothetical
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2007, 07:22:50 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'170984\' date=\'Nov 30 2007, 05:38 PM\']
[/quote]

The way you put it just now actually explains it better than they did (at least how I've always heard it). It's a fun game to play, but it's murder getting people to understand it without saying "let's play Pictionary instead."

CeleTheRef

pyramid hypothetical
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2007, 07:23:11 PM »
I watched the premiere of the Italian "Pyramid" (they didn't even bother to translate the title) and it is actually a cross of the original with the French version.

Before you ask: it's all unacquainted civilians, but in January there'll be nighttime episodes with celebrities.

This version has two "starting contestants" already seated on opposite desks (presumably they would be the winners of the previous episode) plus a "bench" of 20 other contestants.  Before the game begins, two random contestants are selected from the bench to fill up the vacant seats.

The front game is the same as in the USA but with four rounds (8 categories).  After each round, if a team is trailing by 4 or more points, the scores are reset and the trailing team is in for a bad surprise: a box with three spheres is brought in, and each each member of the pair picks a sphere (the host picks the third). One of the three spheres has a black scarab, the other two have a white one. If a contestant got the black scarab, he or she switches place with a random contestant from the "bench". If the host got it, the team stands and keeps playing.

After the fourth round, the losing pair heads off to the bench. The winners have to play the scarab lottery to ultimately win the game, this time with four white scarabs and one black one.  (IMHO it's not fair to lose a shot at the money to the whims of fate in favor of a random guy who did nothing but watch. )

The winners circle part is a little different as it's 10 categories in 120 seconds with the chance for each player to skip one category.  When a player wants to use his or her skip, time stops and the host rotates the circle 180 degrees, effectively switching roles.

The pair wins €5,000 for completing the pyramid using both skips, €10,000 if one skip was used and €20,000 for a flawless win.

that's pretty much it :)

tpirfan28

pyramid hypothetical
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2007, 07:27:58 PM »
About the only good thing about that format for me is the twist on the Winner's Circle...other than that, it's way too complicated.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

itiparanoid13

pyramid hypothetical
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2007, 07:29:24 PM »
Man, pit Chain reaction and this next to each other, and GSN's Chain Reaction doesn't seem so bad anymore.

Is this a Sony product?  I smell Sony all over this.

tvwxman

pyramid hypothetical
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2007, 07:35:52 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'171232\' date=\'Dec 3 2007, 07:29 PM\']
Man, pit Chain reaction and this next to each other, and GSN's Chain Reaction doesn't seem so bad anymore.

Is this a Sony product?  I smell Sony all over this.
[/quote]
And good gawd, imagine if they had tried that crap with Donnymid.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

pyramid hypothetical
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2007, 08:46:10 PM »
Wow, does that sound like dumping a huge pile of shiat on a fragrant rose.

Jay Temple

pyramid hypothetical
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2007, 02:18:53 PM »
[quote name=\'CeleTheRef\' post=\'171229\' date=\'Dec 3 2007, 06:23 PM\']
After each round, if a team is trailing by 4 or more points, the scores are reset[/quote]
Besides the problems already mentioned, this creates a huge incentive, if you're leading and going second, to stop talking as soon as you're up by 3. Great TV, huh?

(I speak from experience. In Taboo, the teams must play the same number of turns. Trouble is, you can lose points for illegal clues. Once, when we were already ahead and going second, I was sorely tempted to do exactly what I described.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Robert Hutchinson

pyramid hypothetical
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2007, 03:33:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'171277\' date=\'Dec 4 2007, 02:18 PM\'](I speak from experience. In Taboo, the teams must play the same number of turns. Trouble is, you can lose points for illegal clues. Once, when we were already ahead and going second, I was sorely tempted to do exactly what I described.)[/quote]
. . . how is that the same flaw? If it's the last round of the game, wouldn't you say "hurray, default win" instead of playing it out? And if not, well, if you're afraid you can't even break even in a round of Taboo, clamming up probably isn't the biggest dilemma you're facing. :)

I agree with everyone else about the crappy "twists". Heck, if I'm stuck with a bad partner and trailing by 4+ points, I would welcome what they're describing--reset the score, plus a 1 in 3 chance of getting rid of my partner?
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

CeleTheRef

pyramid hypothetical
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2007, 05:45:53 PM »
update from Italy:  on its premiere episode, Pyramid got 30% less audience than the Tom & Jerry cartoons they replaced.  Good start.

clemon79

pyramid hypothetical
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2007, 06:03:21 PM »
[quote name=\'CeleTheRef\' post=\'171297\' date=\'Dec 4 2007, 02:45 PM\']
update from Italy:  on its premiere episode, Pyramid got 30% less audience than the Tom & Jerry cartoons they replaced.  Good start.
[/quote]
And with that convoluted format, it's only gonna go down from there.