Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Classics DVD at Target  (Read 3302 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Game Show Classics DVD at Target
« on: November 16, 2007, 10:22:39 PM »
Target has a Game Show Classics DVD in their dollar section.  On it are single black and white episodes of Twenty-One, Tic Tac Dough, What's My Line? (w/Kim Novak), To Tell the Truth, I've Got a Secret (w/Desi Arnaz), and Queen for a Day.  Naturally, availability will vary from store to store.

Jay Temple

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 10:37:34 PM »
I am so off to Target tomorrow.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

saussage

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 11:41:21 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'169729\' date=\'Nov 16 2007, 10:22 PM\']
Target has a Game Show Classics DVD in their dollar section.  On it are single black and white episodes of Twenty-One, Tic Tac Dough, What's My Line? (w/Kim Novak), To Tell the Truth, I've Got a Secret (w/Desi Arnaz), and Queen for a Day.  Naturally, availability will vary from store to store.
[/quote]
Sounds like a winner.... especially for a buck.

I'm assuming though that at that price, it's just old video that hasn't been cleaned up or digitally remastered.
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

jdhernandez

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 04:37:33 AM »
As soon as I saw this post, I knew I had to make a pit stop on the way home. Plus, there is a Target right by my house. =)

For a buck.... not too bad, at all. Of course, it is old video, and it hasn't been cleaned up all that much or digitally remastered... but I have certainly seen much worse video, and it's worth the buy. (For a buck, of course it's worth the buy, coz it's not that much to begin with)

Besides that, I also got some holiday flavor shots for a buck, as well. Special holiday egg nog, anyone? ;-)
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

MrBuddwing

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 01:10:15 PM »
Could anyone please tell me the names of the contestants on the "Tic Tac Dough" episode? (First names are fine.)

jdhernandez

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 05:59:12 PM »
Capt. Michael O'Rourke with over $140,000 was playing against Martin Dowd (sp?) on the '57 TTD episode. It's the same episode that has been circulated many times over, and I think was in another game show VHS compilation from long ago.
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

tjhornikel

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 08:20:55 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'169729\' date=\'Nov 16 2007, 10:22 PM\']
[/quote]

Forget the 117th St. Store, Mike. Lotsa old movies, but no game shows. :^(
Tom Hornikel

I did NOT push Jim Peck. I just encouraged gravity.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 09:17:57 PM »
[quote name=\'tjhornikel\' post=\'169789\' date=\'Nov 17 2007, 08:20 PM\']Forget the 117th St. Store, Mike. Lotsa old movies, but no game shows. :^([/quote]
The store I visited last night is on Euclid Ave. in Willoughby.

I didn't know there was a store on W. 117th until I drove past it on Thursday.  Has it been that long since I ventured to that side of town?  Wow.

Tim L

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 10:43:11 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'169791\' date=\'Nov 17 2007, 09:17 PM\']
[quote name=\'tjhornikel\' post=\'169789\' date=\'Nov 17 2007, 08:20 PM\']Forget the 117th St. Store, Mike. Lotsa old movies, but no game shows. :^([/quote]
The store I visited last night is on Euclid Ave. in Willoughby.

I didn't know there was a store on W. 117th until I drove past it on Thursday.  Has it been that long since I ventured to that side of town?  Wow.
[/quote]

I'm going to try to get to the Massillon Store Monday, then the Belden Village Store Friday or Saturday..I would hope it would be in either one.  I find there are usually the same half-dozen movies and TV shows in these dollar bins, though sometimes you'll find a gem..

comicus

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 11:12:34 PM »
Ahh, public domain TV shows.  No finer indulgence.  :)

The Monroeville, PA Target has a handful of copies.   I think I have seen these same episodes on VHS. Regardless, a delightful find for a buck.

The TTD episode was particularly fun.  Guy With Eyepatch vs. Thom McKee Beta.  I love it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 11:15:55 PM by CountdownRound »

Kniwt

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 11:49:32 PM »
In stock in Cupertino, Calif., as of tonight, but just a few copies left on display.

Kniwt

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 02:36:45 AM »
A spoiler-free warning to buyers:  In the "Twenty One" episode, one of the key moments of the gameplay is mostly missing due to two film breaks.  And the opening credits to "Tic Tac Dough" are missing as well, but that episode is otherwise intact.

For fans of commercials, though, the commercials have been removed from at least these two shows (the ones I've watched so far).

Then again, for $1, it's not like I've got much reason to whine.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 02:40:39 AM by Kniwt »

tvmitch

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 10:06:03 AM »
So I'm guessing that these shows are in the public domain because a 50-year (?) copyright expired?

Does that mean that as we venture into the '60s that we'll see some more games go into the public domain, or did the laws change? Or are some producers able to protect their copyrights?
You should follow me on Twitter

johnnyd1788

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 02:56:13 PM »
I bought my copy of it last night, and for a bargain DVD I enjoyed myself. Since I only shelled out my candy money for this thing, I disregarded the fact that the quality isn't the best. For example, in the Lucy Arnez episode of IGaS, the color is very washed out and faded, but the appearance of Desi makes this episode a classic, regardless.

I also noticed that in a bunch of the episodes the video slows down in spots, and then winds back up to normal speed seconds later. This could be due to the fact that parts of the video was unsalvageable than the audio, and the only wasy they could fix it was cut it out and slow down during that part so the video would be in sync with the audio.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 02:58:34 PM by johnnyd1788 »

Tim L

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 12:54:50 PM »
Went to the Massillon, Ohio Store this morning..The Dollar DVD bin was right at the front of the store.  took me about 7-10 minutes to ffind the Game Show DVD..Probably at least a half dozen more copies..

There were also Long John Silver,  Dick Van Dyke Show, The Lucy Show, Bonanza/Wagon Train and even Rescue from Gilligan's Island DVD's..One other DVD I picked  up was TV's Christmas Classics..With The Beverly Hillbillies, Burns and Allen, Cavalcade of America (NBC/ABC 1952-57) and Four Star Playhouse (CBS 1952-56)..Along with the original Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer Theatrical Cartoon..PC Treasures  is the name of the company that produces these..Based in Michigan..