Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What's the most fanboy-ish game show fact you know?  (Read 23525 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
What's the most fanboy-ish game show fact you know?
« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2007, 11:36:23 PM »
You can tell what studio an episode of "Press Your Luck" taped in by looking at the blue windows in the background.

If you can see the audience, you're in 41.

If you can't, you're in 33.

ALSO:

When PYL taped in Studio 41, the audience sat on the same bleachers that were used for Tattletales.

During some commercial outros where the audience area is visible, you can see the red/yellow/blue rugs on the stairs.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

trainman

« Reply #106 on: November 21, 2007, 12:08:27 AM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'170108\' date=\'Nov 20 2007, 09:16 AM\']At the train station where I live, I love to stare at the information board because it uses solaris.
[/quote]

You live at a train station?  We already determined in this thread that I'm far from being the biggest game show fanboy here...and now it turns out I'm not even the biggest railroading fanboy here, either!

(Yeah, I know what you meant.  I love train station Solari boards.  I passed through the Trenton station this past summer and paused to admire theirs, but I fear it's not long for the world, with the new station under construction.  They're getting almost as rare as game show Solari displays...for many of the same reasons.)
trainman is a man of trains

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #107 on: November 21, 2007, 02:07:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'170165\' date=\'Nov 20 2007, 11:31 PM\']And it's also a myth that there's "usually" a cash game.  I'll grant that it happens more often than not, but not having one is far from uncommon.  For example, of the 175 shows last season, only 115 had a cash game.  That leaves a good 60 that didn't -- more than 33% of the episodes.[/quote]
Perhaps you can answer me this--I recall noticing in one past season, at I think the same time that a new cash game was introduced (for a new total of 5?), that they did seem to be making an effort to have a cash game on every episode. I recall being able to predict, with great regularity, Friday's cash games because they would always be the only one that hadn't yet been used during the week. Any facts behind this hazy memory?

(And yes, there were a few years in the past when I watched TPIR with frightening regularity.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

GSFan

« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2007, 10:55:52 AM »
Since no one has mentioned it, WWTBAM is staged in the same studio where the Money Maze was taped.
March 26, 2023 - 50 years of Pyramid!

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2007, 12:50:32 AM »
That Judith Keppel was the first Briton to win the million-pound prize on WWTBAM in the UK. And that her final question was the name of the king whose wife was Eleanor of Aquitaine (Henry II, final answer). AND that this same question was used at WWTBAM-Play It! (I believe it was in Orlando, but don't hold me to it) as a million-point question (and the player got it right).

Last one, also from Play It! - the million-point pins are individually numbered on the back.

--Charlie, MPW

/Gee, how does he know that last one?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 04:00:05 AM by GiraffeBoy »
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2007, 01:37:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'170175\' date=\'Nov 21 2007, 02:07 AM\']
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'170165\' date=\'Nov 20 2007, 11:31 PM\']And it's also a myth that there's "usually" a cash game.  I'll grant that it happens more often than not, but not having one is far from uncommon.  For example, of the 175 shows last season, only 115 had a cash game.  That leaves a good 60 that didn't -- more than 33% of the episodes.[/quote]
Perhaps you can answer me this--I recall noticing in one past season, at I think the same time that a new cash game was introduced (for a new total of 5?), that they did seem to be making an effort to have a cash game on every episode. I recall being able to predict, with great regularity, Friday's cash games because they would always be the only one that hadn't yet been used during the week.
[/quote]

Yeah, I seem to remember this happening quite a bit for a while after 1/2 Off debuted.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2007, 01:51:41 PM »
The names of the GONG staffers who played Scarlett and Rhett--makeup artist Jefferson Becker (Scarlett) and wardrober Peter Mims (Rhett).

I probably have more useless GONG tidbits than anyone.  Then again, GONG was pretty useless itself, but dangit was it fun.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 02:00:44 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #112 on: November 22, 2007, 01:56:58 PM »
Speaking of which:

It probably takes somewhat of a fanboy to know that Gene Gene the Dancing Machine was actually an NBC stagehand.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #113 on: November 22, 2007, 02:04:17 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'170259\' date=\'Nov 22 2007, 10:56 AM\']
It probably takes somewhat of a fanboy to know that Gene Gene the Dancing Machine was actually an NBC stagehand.
[/quote]
I don't think it does. I think that tidbit is a little more widely known among general TV aficionados.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

davemackey

« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2007, 01:18:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'170061\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 11:28 PM\']
I once declared, "Triple Play!" for the first game based solely on the position of the Turntable during Barker's entrance.  My roommate immediately responded, "How did you know that?!"
[/quote]
Did you see the potted plant? That was the Triple Play giveaway, until the director changed the staging to use different cameras.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2007, 02:21:03 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'170393\' date=\'Nov 24 2007, 10:18 AM\']
Did you see the potted plant?
[/quote]
I thought they stopped showing Rich Fields on camera by then.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

« Reply #116 on: November 24, 2007, 02:24:07 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'170398\' date=\'Nov 24 2007, 02:21 PM\']
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'170393\' date=\'Nov 24 2007, 10:18 AM\']
Did you see the potted plant?
[/quote]
I thought they stopped showing Rich Fields on camera by then.
[/quote]
And there's Chris with the Line of the Day, folks.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #117 on: November 24, 2007, 02:56:23 PM »
Anything SteveGavazzi ever told me.