Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What's the most fanboy-ish game show fact you know?  (Read 23651 times)

GSFan

What's the most fanboy-ish game show fact you know?
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2007, 10:27:44 AM »
I know that the first celebrity to successfully complete two Winner's Circle rounds in one episode during the early days of PYRAMID was Joel Grey.
March 26, 2023 - 50 years of Pyramid!

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2007, 10:28:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'170081\' date=\'Nov 20 2007, 07:33 AM\']
(Wait, did Bill Cullen guest-host any 60s-era TTTT?  I don't recall hearing *that* one before)
[/quote]

He was the interim host after Garry Moore retired (and was always meant to be the sub if ever Garry took the day off).

Then Joe Garagiola took over.

Garry came back later in the season to explain his sudden retirement and to officially pass the baton to Joe.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Chief-O

« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2007, 10:38:42 AM »
[quote name=\'Tim L\' post=\'170087\' date=\'Nov 20 2007, 08:10 AM\']
I don't know how fan-boyish this is, but I recall that Jim Lange's first big break before Dating Game was announcer/sidekick for ABC's Tennessee Ernie Ford Daytime Variety Show from San Francisco.  I should admit, however,  that the main reason I know this is that I am a huge fan of the late Mr. Fords's Music..
[/quote]

Which reminded me of one........

One of Elvis' earliest TV appearances was on a local program hosted [or at least, featuring] Wink Martindale.
.....and it goes like this!!!

tvmitch

« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2007, 10:46:50 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'170089\' date=\'Nov 20 2007, 10:21 AM\']
That on The Price Is Right, there are a minimum of 2 pricing games per day that are played for a NEW CAAAA!!  -- One in each half-hour.
[/quote]
And, usually, a cash game. Plinko, In The Bag, Half Off, Punchboard, etc. Sometimes Pass The Buck counts as a cash game, but the other day we had Plinko and PtB.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 10:47:05 AM by mitchgroff »
You should follow me on Twitter

aaron sica

« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2007, 11:05:40 AM »
When watching Monday Night Football, I usually scare a few people by remarking that the on-screen score, when it changes, reminds me of Solari's...

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2007, 11:06:50 AM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'170079\' date=\'Nov 20 2007, 06:29 AM\']
But now that I'm fully rested:

Bud Collyer, Robert Q. Lewis, Merv Griffin, Gene Rayburn, Ralph Bellamy, Sonny Fox, Jim Fleming, Bill Cullen, Orson Bean, Mark Goodson, Bert Convy, Garry Moore, Joe Garagiola, Robin Ward, Gordon Elliott, Alex Trebek, Lynn Swann, John O' Hurley.[/quote]
Technically, Alfonzo was originally talking only about the original version of Concentration, so I was limiting my names to only the original version of TTTT.  But if we're going all-in, I think Richard Kline absolutely counts - a show that aired by mistake still aired.  Also keep in mind that Peggy Cass and Kitty Carlisle each sat in the host's chair for a single game, in both instances because it was known in advance that they knew the central subject.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2007, 12:14:52 PM »
Can hum the theme to "Rhyme and Reason."  Not the pilot that to some of you kids is your only exposure to that show.  The actual *series* theme.  And can tell you the three think cues and which cues were used for each break throughout most of the run of the series.  I don't even think Lee Ringuette, Gregg Feddersen or Alexis Pedersen could tell you that.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2007, 12:16:44 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'170095\' date=\'Nov 20 2007, 11:05 AM\']
When watching Monday Night Football, I usually scare a few people by remarking that the on-screen score, when it changes, reminds me of Solari's...
[/quote]
This one reminds me:

At the train station where I live, I love to stare at the information board because it uses solaris.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

alfonzos

« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2007, 04:26:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'170057\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 11:11 PM\']
The original version of TTTT had at least seven (Collyer, RQL, Merv Griffin, Gene Rayburn, Ralph Bellamy, Sonny Fox, Jim Fleming) and almost certainly more.
[/quote]

Whoa, I stand corrected.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2007, 04:59:15 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'170093\' date=\'Nov 20 2007, 10:46 AM\'][quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'170089\' date=\'Nov 20 2007, 10:21 AM\']That on The Price Is Right, there are a minimum of 2 pricing games per day that are played for a NEW CAAAA!!  -- One in each half-hour.[/quote]And, usually, a cash game. Plinko, In The Bag, Half Off, Punchboard, etc. Sometimes Pass The Buck counts as a cash game, but the other day we had Plinko and PtB.[/quote]
And almost always one game with groceries, and one with "small prizes". Almost always played in different halves of the show, too.

(At my fanboy-est, this let me occasionally predict a sixth game from the staging even when it was vague, since it had to be a certain type of game.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2007, 05:07:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Tim L\' post=\'170087\' date=\'Nov 20 2007, 06:10 AM\']
I don't know how fan-boyish this is, but I recall that Jim Lange's first big break before Dating Game was announcer/sidekick for ABC's Tennessee Ernie Ford Daytime Variety Show from San Francisco.  I should admit, however,  that the main reason I know this is that I am a huge fan of the late Mr. Fords's Music..
[/quote]Wow, somebody remembers that show? It was done in the same studio as The Anniversary Game, Oh My Word and The Gong Show pilot (for ABC). I worked on the local news there in 1975. KGO-TV has since abandoned that building.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2007, 06:34:58 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'170091\' date=\'Nov 20 2007, 10:28 AM\']
He was the interim host after Garry Moore retired (and was always meant to be the sub if ever Garry took the day off). [/quote]

That's not what I meant.  When I said 60s-era, I was directly implying the Collyer-era run.  You had Bill in among all of *those* guest hosts, and not stuck in between Garry and Joe in an otherwise chronological list - which puzzled me as I'd never heard of Bill guest-hosting THAT version.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 06:35:34 PM by Seth Thrasher »

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2007, 07:07:09 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'170084\' date=\'Nov 20 2007, 07:31 AM\']
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'170061\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 11:28 PM\']
I once declared, "Triple Play!" for the first game based solely on the position of the Turntable during Barker's entrance.  My roommate immediately responded, "How did you know that?!"
[/quote]
That reminds me of the days when, for some reason, if Bonus Game was the first to be played, the turntable would be turned around to show the game during the start of the show. I remember this happening fairly often when I was younger, and I could never figure out why.
[/quote]
Are you sure this wasn't the very similar Give or Keep?  Give or Keep was always seen in advance because it's the only pricing game whose main prop was placed on the stationary part of the turntable (the small prizes got the privilege of spinning around).  Also, Give or Keep was also in the 'box shape' common of the early days (of which Bonus Game and Clock Game are the only surviving examples, I think).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 07:07:45 PM by Mr. Armadillo »

SteveR

« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2007, 10:18:42 PM »
Not much, but ....

The video used in the pre-wipe portion of the Card Sharks opening is from the pilot, which had a different set. Therefore, the set seen before the wipe effect doesn't match the set seen after.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2007, 11:31:31 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'170093\' date=\'Nov 20 2007, 10:46 AM\']
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'170089\' date=\'Nov 20 2007, 10:21 AM\']
That on The Price Is Right, there are a minimum of 2 pricing games per day that are played for a NEW CAAAA!!  -- One in each half-hour.
[/quote]
And, usually, a cash game. Plinko, In The Bag, Half Off, Punchboard, etc. Sometimes Pass The Buck counts as a cash game, but the other day we had Plinko and PtB.
[/quote]
Pass the Buck is never regarded as a cash game.  In fact, of the 13 shows it was played on last season, 10 of them had a cash game.

And it's also a myth that there's "usually" a cash game.  I'll grant that it happens more often than not, but not having one is far from uncommon.  For example, of the 175 shows last season, only 115 had a cash game.  That leaves a good 60 that didn't -- more than 33% of the episodes.