Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What's the most fanboy-ish game show fact you know?  (Read 23529 times)

Adam Nedeff

What's the most fanboy-ish game show fact you know?
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2007, 12:04:12 PM »
A "trick" that I like to do when people find out about my hobby is I'll ask them for their date of birth and then tell them what game shows aired that day...I don't get invited to many parties.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2007, 12:58:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'169962\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 09:04 AM\']
A "trick" that I like to do when people find out about my hobby is I'll ask them for their date of birth and then tell them what game shows aired that day...I don't get invited to many parties.
[/quote]
I'm reminded of a dude I know who bragged about his "party trick" of reciting pi to 150 digits. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

wheelloon

« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2007, 01:18:46 PM »
Reciting intro spiels and certain important dates also is a specialty of mine. I also have made note of the companies that have sponsored the dresses and suits the hosts and hostesses have worn during their tenures.

I.e. Mr. Sajak wore only Faconnable and Bill Blass for about a ten year span on WOF, right up until the producers stopped giving them credit for providing them in the credit spiel.

Oh, and knowing the exact wheel layouts, dollar values, colors and all, for each of the Wheel's layouts since 1975 is fairly fanboi-ish, I'd have to think... ;)
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

geno57

« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2007, 01:43:45 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'169967\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 11:58 AM\']
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'169962\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 09:04 AM\']
[/quote]
I'm reminded of a dude I know who bragged about his "party trick" of reciting pi to 150 digits. :)
[/quote]

Anybody here watch the new CBS comedy, "The Big Bang Theory"?  Anyone see yourselves in it?

rigsby

« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2007, 01:57:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'169961\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 10:58 AM\']
Bill Cullen and Vanna White share a birthday.
[/quote]

Wow, she looks a lot younger on TV!

davidhammett

« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2007, 03:06:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'169933\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 05:52 AM\']
It never ceases to amaze me how I know the Chuck Woolery rules spiel on WoF from the 1970's as something like this:
(Chuck spins wheel)"The top dollar value in this round is $750 but watch out for Bankrupts.  You land on one of those, you lose your cash but not your merchandise because once you buy a prize, it's yours to keep."
[/quote]
Even Chuck himself remembers that spiel, as he demonstrated once during a Greed taping when he suddenly burst into it during a stopdown... after which, he continued, "I don't remember any of that Scrabble s**t."

Gus

« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2007, 04:17:34 PM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' post=\'169974\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 01:43 PM\']
Anybody here watch the new CBS comedy, "The Big Bang Theory"?  Anyone see yourselves in it?
[/quote]

Yes, yes, and triple yes. Except for the whole interaction-with-an-attractive-member-of-the-opposite-sex bit.

To the original topic: That's a really difficult question, because my depth of knowledge about lots of shows, their histories, background, and behind-the-scenes information is enough to have most people I associate with's heads spin -- which is why I typically limit my discussion of it to the internet. Invariably, someone'll ask, "Where/How did you learn all that?", to which I (truthfully) reply, "I have no clue." If you put a gun to my head and demanded I pick *something*, I'd prolly pick my familiarity with the Price is Right's pricing games -- rules, setups, approximate date of premiere /and retirement, strategies, tidbits, the like.

tvmitch

« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2007, 04:30:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Gus\' post=\'170000\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 04:17 PM\']
To the original topic: That's a really difficult question, because my depth of knowledge about lots of shows, their histories, background, and behind-the-scenes information is enough to have most people I associate with's heads spin -- which is why I typically limit my discussion of it to the internet. Invariably, someone'll ask, "Where/How did you learn all that?", to which I (truthfully) reply, "I have no clue." If you put a gun to my head and demanded I pick *something*, I'd prolly pick my familiarity with the Price is Right's pricing games -- rules, setups, approximate date of premiere /and retirement, strategies, tidbits, the like.
[/quote]
My wife and I enjoy watching DrewPiR every day from the DVR...Lately, I've been fine-tuning my knowledge of "Guess the game being played based on the contestant's place on the stage, the reveal, and prize(s)." It boggles my wife's mind how well I do at this. It's completely useless trivia from watching TPiR with a critical, gameshowfan eye since a very young age.

The most basic example is, oh, they're driving the car on the stage, so it's Lucky Seven.

"Prize reveal done from IUFB platform, one 2-digit prize and two 3-digit prizes plus a car. It's Line 'Em Up."
You should follow me on Twitter

J.R.

« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2007, 05:01:35 PM »
I can identify the host of "Millionaire" in Ireland, France, Japan and South Africa.
-Joe Raygor

Ian Wallis

« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2007, 05:57:09 PM »
There's the old standby of "Blackout was the only game show (TV show?) to both replace and be replaced by (all in first-run) the same show, $25,000 Pyramid."

Blankety Blanks comes close.  It replaced reruns of The Brady Bunch on ABC in 1975, and 10 weeks later the Bradys came back.

Wheel
January 6, 1975
September 5, 12, or 19, 1983 (nighttime)

Add August 22nd, 1983 to that too :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

alfonzos

« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2007, 06:15:36 PM »
The only person to appear on The Hollywood Squares as a contestant and, later, as a celebrity: O. J. Simpson.

The show that has had the most different hosts: NBC's Concentration (Downs, Barry, Masur, McMahon, Clayton, James and, once, Blumenthal)

The $10,000 Pyramid had a fourth row of four categories on its original CBS run. The bottom row was covered with a plywood plank that remained during the entire run.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

davemackey

« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2007, 06:33:07 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'169943\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 09:05 AM\']
Not incredibly fanboyish, but I remember impressing a date once by repeating "Spiegel, 60609" when he said he was from Chicago haha
[/quote]
And you know what's funny? Spiegel, who for years has distanced themselves from game shows, is now supplying clothing for "The Price is Right" modeling corps.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2007, 06:51:27 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'170022\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 07:15 PM\']
The only person to appear on The Hollywood Squares as a contestant and, later, as a celebrity: O. J. Simpson.
[/quote]
And my boss was the guy who suggested booking him on the show as a contestant after reading about him in the paper. His recollection of that taping: "He threw a fit when he found out he had to wait 90 days for the $400 check."

And while we're at it, this came up at work today and I couldn't help thinking of this thread immediately. Make a note, "Wheel of Fortune" fans: A single wedge on the wheel measures approximately 12 inches across the top, 5 inches at the base, and 28 inches long (although these measurements aren't precise because the wedge is curved to fit the wheel's shape).

aaron sica

« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2007, 07:19:36 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'170003\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 04:30 PM\']
My wife and I enjoy watching DrewPiR every day from the DVR...Lately, I've been fine-tuning my knowledge of "Guess the game being played based on the contestant's place on the stage, the reveal, and prize(s)." It boggles my wife's mind how well I do at this. It's completely useless trivia from watching TPiR with a critical, gameshowfan eye since a very young age.

The most basic example is, oh, they're driving the car on the stage, so it's Lucky Seven.

"Prize reveal done from IUFB platform, one 2-digit prize and two 3-digit prizes plus a car. It's Line 'Em Up."
[/quote]

I do that with my fiancee as well..."one 3-digit prize followed by a car? Any Number."

Gus

« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2007, 08:26:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'170025\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 06:51 PM\']
And while we're at it, this came up at work today and I couldn't help thinking of this thread immediately. Make a note, "Wheel of Fortune" fans: A single wedge on the wheel measures approximately 12 inches across the top, 5 inches at the base, and 28 inches long (although these measurements aren't precise because the wedge is curved to fit the wheel's shape).
[/quote]
So, basically, the wedges are 28 inches of the 4-foot-3 radiu----- wait, scratch my earlier post. THAT is the most fanboyish thing I know.

/28-over-51 seems right
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 08:27:25 PM by Gus »