Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What's the most fanboy-ish game show fact you know?  (Read 23513 times)

Mark McNeil

What's the most fanboy-ish game show fact you know?
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2007, 12:07:37 AM »
"The Price Is Right" and "To Tell The Truth" were in production at some point during the '50s, '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s and 2000s. If "Concentration" were to return with new episodes by the end of 2009, it would take that honor too.

WildJoker76

« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2007, 12:15:23 AM »
Knowing who has nailed Alphabetics/Super Password on their first crack and which celebrities played only one week on both Password Plus and Super Password

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2007, 01:21:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'169898\' date=\'Nov 18 2007, 10:20 PM\']As if I needed to prove my dorkiness...is that supposed to be a serious description, or maybe a typo of "Line em Up?"  Because that's not even close to Add 'em Up.[/quote]
Yeah, I goofed. And of all the times ... blast and drat it.

I, too, will claim an unhealthy ability to recite standard game show patter. "There are six of you, so once you buy a prize, you can choose to either bid on it, or you can Dare the other team to answer for double the dollars. We surveyed a recent studio audience, 8 letters in the word, and they gave us only a list of what was in the category. It's winner-take-all, so give the wheels a spin."
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

trainman

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2007, 01:49:03 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'169915\' date=\'Nov 18 2007, 10:21 PM\']I, too, will claim an unhealthy ability to recite standard game show patter. "There are six of you, so once you buy a prize, you can choose to either bid on it, or you can Dare the other team to answer for double the dollars. We surveyed a recent studio audience, 8 letters in the word, and they gave us only a list of what was in the category. It's winner-take-all, so give the wheels a spin."[/quote]

I'd really like to see this show!

(I must not be enough of a game show fanboy, because my knowledge seems to pale in comparison to many of the other posters in this thread...must be all that trivia about Amtrak operations over the past 36 years taking up too much space in my brain.)
trainman is a man of trains

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2007, 02:13:34 AM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'169920\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 02:49 AM\']
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'169915\' date=\'Nov 18 2007, 10:21 PM\']I, too, will claim an unhealthy ability to recite standard game show patter. "There are six of you, so once you buy a prize, you can choose to either bid on it, or you can Dare the other team to answer for double the dollars. We surveyed a recent studio audience, 8 letters in the word, and they gave us only a list of what was in the category. It's winner-take-all, so give the wheels a spin."[/quote]

I'd really like to see this show!
[/quote]
If I'm a betting man, I'd say it would be a Jay Wolpert production.

Kniwt

« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2007, 04:19:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Mark McNeil\' post=\'169912\' date=\'Nov 18 2007, 09:07 PM\']
If "Concentration" were to return with new episodes by the end of 2009, it would take that honor too.
[/quote]

You must mean "Million Dollar Concentration," hosted by Dr. Phil McGraw.

"Dr. Phil, I'd like to use my Never Forget help, and show me what's behind number 16."
"Dr. Phil, I think my friend Mabel knows where the other trip is, so I'd like to bring her out."
"For your seventh win and one million dollars, is it 'Cats in the Cradle'?" ... (pause) ... "We'll find out, right after this message!"

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2007, 04:52:58 AM »
It never ceases to amaze me how I know the Chuck Woolery rules spiel on WoF from the 1970's as something like this:

(Chuck spins wheel)"The top dollar value in this round is $750 but watch out for Bankrupts.  You land on one of those, you lose your cash but not your merchandise because once you buy a prize, it's yours to keep."

Also, I might tell my mon this when I watch Treasure Hunt this Friday on GSN: Rose passed up on a chance to win a check for $46,000 while her husband stormed off the studio in protest.  Needless to say, she got redemption when she chose the box with a big fat check for....FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2007, 09:00:32 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'169845\' date=\'Nov 18 2007, 02:08 PM\']
Clementson's called me several times on my arcane knowledge of who was working at each of the networks' technical departments.[/quote]
Not as impressive as your knowledge of studio session players.

Here are some more:

- Knowing Bob Barker's home address (that one's easy)

- Given a game show title, being able to name the director, art director AND music director

- Knowing how the mechanical Concentration board worked (before I posted it in the Archive)

- Knowing what was served for lunch at any given taping of any given game show

- Knowing who makes/made Jungle Gardenia perfume

- Knowing where any game show was shot in a space which today is no longer a television studio

jmangin

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2007, 09:05:45 AM »
Not incredibly fanboyish, but I remember impressing a date once by repeating "Spiegel, 60609" when he said he was from Chicago haha

geno57

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2007, 10:13:34 AM »
I know that, when the pilot was done for the original (NBC) "Match Game", the Billy Vaughn chart-hit version of "A Swingin' Safari" was used as the theme.  But for the actual show, they used Bert Kaempfert's version.

I also know that, in the insert to Varese-Saraband's Game Show Themes CD, they got that information wrong.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2007, 10:46:55 AM »
I'd say knowing that Jeopardy wasn't Alex Trebek's first game show (it was actually his ninth, including Canadian GS) counts, too.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 10:49:55 AM by DoorNumberFour »
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Clay Zambo

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2007, 10:56:25 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'169875\' date=\'Nov 18 2007, 07:39 PM\']
I'd say, knowing that the object for the players is to get three stars in a row, either across, up and down, or diagonally, and that it is their job to determine if the star is giving the correct answer or making one up, for that's how they get the square. Further, that each game is worth $100, and that they play a two-out-of-three match (they play for $200), and that there is also a Secret Square game. which is played after completing the one in progress.
[/quote]

Don't know if I'd ever told this story here.  Some years ago--during the Bergeron run--my wife and her students were preparing for a parent-child night.  Because she is the Coolest Teacher Ever, the demonstration often includes a subject-related game show.  She decided to do "Famous Scientist Squares" or something like that, with some students acting as the "stars," and with questions written by others.  In case some parents hadn't watched "Squares," she wanted to know how to explain the game.  I rattled off, "Object for the players is to get three stars in a row..." without taking a breath.  

"You are such a geek," she said.  Then, after she got a pad and paper, "What was that again?"
czambo@mac.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2007, 11:26:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'169951\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 07:56 AM\']
In case some parents hadn't watched "Squares," she wanted to know how to explain the game.  I rattled off, "Object for the players is to get three stars in a row..." without taking a breath.  

"You are such a geek," she said.  Then, after she got a pad and paper, "What was that again?"
[/quote]
Now, see, I wanna find me a woman who gets *aroused* when I say that. Like Jamie Lee Curtis in A Fish Called Wanda hearing foreign languages, but with game shows.

"Oh, gawd, say it again."

"Erm, ok. Once you buy a prize, it's yours to keep."

"UNNNNNGHHHHH!!!"
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 11:30:48 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2007, 11:51:50 AM »
Predicting the pricing game and reciting the address of CBS Television City are mine. Another one that's pretty good is being able to explain that when David Letterman says, "not a match, board goes back," he's referring to Hugh Downs hosting "Concentration."

The more recent one that amazes or horrifies people is that "What is feng shui?" was the Final Jeopardy question while my wife was in labor with our only child.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2007, 11:58:57 AM »
Bill Cullen and Vanna White share a birthday.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.