Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What's the most fanboy-ish game show fact you know?  (Read 23512 times)

WhammyPower

What's the most fanboy-ish game show fact you know?
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2007, 08:33:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Gus\' post=\'170033\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 07:26 PM\'] [quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'170025\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 06:51 PM\']
And while we're at it, this came up at work today and I couldn't help thinking of this thread immediately. Make a note, "Wheel of Fortune" fans: A single wedge on the wheel measures approximately 12 inches across the top, 5 inches at the base, and 28 inches long (although these measurements aren't precise because the wedge is curved to fit the wheel's shape).
[/quote]
So, basically, the wedges are 28 inches of the 4-foot-3 radiu----- wait, scratch my earlier post. THAT is the most fanboyish thing I know.

/28-over-51 seems right [/quote]
And Chuck's head takes up the other 46" of the diameter.

DrBear

« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2007, 10:43:53 PM »
Tuvache, Mr. Clementson.

(Not so much a case of geekery as a function of age and long-term memory overwhelming what I am supposed to do five minutes from now.)
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Jay Temple

« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2007, 10:56:53 PM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' post=\'169974\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 12:43 PM\']Anybody here watch the new CBS comedy, "The Big Bang Theory"?  Anyone see yourselves in it?
[/quote]
Absolutely. I even caught the following: Another scientist, played by returning guest star Sara Gilbert (OBGS: sister of Pyramid celebrity Melissa), says in one scene that she's frozen a banana to -390. I found it odd that she'd refer to it in Fahrenheit degrees. She must have, since absolute zero is -273 C.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2007, 11:11:50 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'170022\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 06:15 PM\']The show that has had the most different hosts: NBC's Concentration (Downs, Barry, Masur, McMahon, Clayton, James and, once, Blumenthal)[/quote]
How much of a fanboy does it make me to know that this is probably wrong?  The original version of TTTT had at least seven (Collyer, RQL, Merv Griffin, Gene Rayburn, Ralph Bellamy, Sonny Fox, Jim Fleming) and almost certainly more.  And certainly, in total, when you look at all the different versions and especially the nineties turnover, more people have sat in the host's chair for TTTT than for any other show.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2007, 11:14:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'170053\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 10:56 PM\']
[quote name=\'geno57\' post=\'169974\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 12:43 PM\']Anybody here watch the new CBS comedy, "The Big Bang Theory"?  Anyone see yourselves in it?[/quote]
Absolutely. I even caught the following: Another scientist, played by returning guest star Sara Gilbert (OBGS: sister of Pyramid celebrity Melissa), says in one scene that she's frozen a banana to -390. I found it odd that she'd refer to it in Fahrenheit degrees. She must have, since absolute zero is -273 C.[/quote]
I read an article saying that they actually have a scientist on staff whose job is to get that stuff right, so either they were going for Fahrenheit or he didn't earn his pay that week!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PYLW

« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2007, 11:14:40 PM »
Darlene is watching an episode of the Davidson version of $100,000 Pyramid on the episode of Roseanne where she transforms into her dark and sarcastic character.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 11:15:50 PM by PYLW »

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2007, 11:28:29 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'170028\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 07:19 PM\'][quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'170003\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 04:30 PM\']My wife and I enjoy watching DrewPiR every day from the DVR...Lately, I've been fine-tuning my knowledge of "Guess the game being played based on the contestant's place on the stage, the reveal, and prize(s)." It boggles my wife's mind how well I do at this. It's completely useless trivia from watching TPiR with a critical, gameshowfan eye since a very young age.

The most basic example is, oh, they're driving the car on the stage, so it's Lucky Seven.

"Prize reveal done from IUFB platform, one 2-digit prize and two 3-digit prizes plus a car. It's Line 'Em Up."
[/quote]
I do that with my fiancee as well..."one 3-digit prize followed by a car? Any Number."
[/quote]
I once declared, "Triple Play!" for the first game based solely on the position of the Turntable during Barker's entrance.  My roommate immediately responded, "How did you know that?!"
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 11:29:15 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2007, 12:25:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'170057\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 11:11 PM\'] The original version of TTTT had at least seven (Collyer, RQL, Merv Griffin, Gene Rayburn, Ralph Bellamy, Sonny Fox, Jim Fleming)
 [/quote]

Mark Goodson subbed in a couple of episodes of the daytime run of the original show, if you're counting that.  Orson Bean guest-hosted at least one of the primetime run episodes.

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2007, 01:10:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'170066\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 10:25 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'170057\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 11:11 PM\'] The original version of TTTT had at least seven (Collyer, RQL, Merv Griffin, Gene Rayburn, Ralph Bellamy, Sonny Fox, Jim Fleming)
 [/quote]

Mark Goodson subbed in a couple of episodes of the daytime run of the original show, if you're counting that.  Orson Bean guest-hosted at least one of the primetime run episodes.
[/quote]

Bert Convy did a turn on the CBS daytime series, as well.

-Kevin

kenbob_clarker

« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2007, 02:41:53 AM »
Sorta OT, since it's not a fact that I know, but I'm sure y'all will agree that it's a fanboy-ish thing.  I can play the PYL board SFX on a piano.  On a keyboard, given the right setting, I can make it sound exactly like the real thing.
John 3:16.  The best news you'll ever read.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2007, 06:29:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'170057\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 11:11 PM\']
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'170022\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 06:15 PM\']The show that has had the most different hosts: NBC's Concentration (Downs, Barry, Masur, McMahon, Clayton, James and, once, Blumenthal)[/quote]
How much of a fanboy does it make me to know that this is probably wrong?
[/quote]
I caught this last night, but I was too tired to type a correction.

But now that I'm fully rested:

Bud Collyer, Robert Q. Lewis, Merv Griffin, Gene Rayburn, Ralph Bellamy, Sonny Fox, Jim Fleming, Bill Cullen, Orson Bean, Mark Goodson, Bert Convy, Garry Moore, Joe Garagiola, Robin Ward, Gordon Elliott, Alex Trebek, Lynn Swann, John O' Hurley.

That's 18.

Even if you counted all versions of Concentration, that's only nine hosts (Downs, Barry, Masur, McMahon, Clayton, James, Blumenthal, Narz, Trebek).
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2007, 07:33:16 AM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'170079\' date=\'Nov 20 2007, 06:29 AM\'] But now that I'm fully rested:

Bud Collyer, Robert Q. Lewis, Merv Griffin, Gene Rayburn, Ralph Bellamy, Sonny Fox, Jim Fleming, Bill Cullen, Orson Bean, Mark Goodson, Bert Convy, Garry Moore, Joe Garagiola, Robin Ward, Gordon Elliott, Alex Trebek, Lynn Swann, John O' Hurley.

That's 18. [/quote]

If you want to be truly super-anal (I think there might be a superhero in that somewhere...), you could even go sar far as to count Richard Kline.  If the standard is hosting at least 1 episode of a show that made it to air - he *did*, even if that wasn't the intent.  I'm still not quite sure how NBC bungled THAT up, but his pilot DID air in a good half the country.  As the original point seemed to just be about one iteration of a show, however (IE: the 60s nighttime/daytime shows ONLY), you can scratch everyone from Garry Moore-onward from the list. (Wait, did Bill Cullen guest-host any 60s-era TTTT?  I don't recall hearing *that* one before)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 07:35:49 AM by Seth Thrasher »

tvmitch

« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2007, 08:31:53 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'170061\' date=\'Nov 19 2007, 11:28 PM\']
I once declared, "Triple Play!" for the first game based solely on the position of the Turntable during Barker's entrance.  My roommate immediately responded, "How did you know that?!"
[/quote]
That reminds me of the days when, for some reason, if Bonus Game was the first to be played, the turntable would be turned around to show the game during the start of the show. I remember this happening fairly often when I was younger, and I could never figure out why.
You should follow me on Twitter

Tim L

« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2007, 09:10:27 AM »
I don't know how fan-boyish this is, but I recall that Jim Lange's first big break before Dating Game was announcer/sidekick for ABC's Tennessee Ernie Ford Daytime Variety Show from San Francisco.  I should admit, however,  that the main reason I know this is that I am a huge fan of the late Mr. Fords's Music..

TimK2003

« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2007, 10:21:02 AM »
That on The Price Is Right, there are a minimum of 2 pricing games per day that are played for a NEW CAAAA!!  -- One in each half-hour.