Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The votes are in...  (Read 20215 times)

uncamark

The votes are in...
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2007, 06:33:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'170757\' date=\'Nov 28 2007, 07:41 PM\']
I have an odd memory that involves two shows from the marathon, actually one show from the marathon and a prior incarnation of another. On at least one ep of Treasure Hunt, Geoff referred to the $25K as the biggest prize on TV, and I thought, "You know better than that!" The incarnation of Jackpot! that aired at that time had a bigger potential Super Jackpot. They generated a random figure that could go as high as $995, like what we saw on the 1989 version, and a multiplier between 5 and 50. Multiplying those two gave you the Super Jackpot amount. (They also stipulated that if the highest figure and a 50 came up together, they'd make it an even $50,000.)
[/quote]

Split 50/50 between the Expert/King of the Hill and the holder of the Jackpot/Super Jackpot riddle.  It's a tie--and besides, Bob Stewart would kill himself if $995 X 50 ever happened.  :)

Besides, when "New TH" started in 1973, it was "television's richest treasure."  If Draper Lewis wrote it and Chuck Barris approved it, then it's so.  :)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The votes are in...
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2007, 07:23:13 PM »
Yeah, remember that that statement came from the same man who suggested that the Newlywed Game prize was selected "especially for them." :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

The votes are in...
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2007, 02:36:44 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'170900\' date=\'Nov 29 2007, 07:23 PM\']
Yeah, remember that that statement came from the same man who suggested that the Newlywed Game prize was selected "especially for them." :)
[/quote]

It was! It was! The contestants picked what kind of a prize they'd want if they won, and they put those contestants together when they had it. It took me 30-some years to discover the answer to that!

Has anyone verified if the 30 Treasure Hunt boxes truly had thirty different contents? Let's say a certain number of boxes are klunks. Couldn't they have been the same klunk to make production easier? If it's picked the first game, they have a back-up clunk for the second? Maybe they have two bits set up for any of 8 boxes with checks inside, two bits for the six boxes with cars.

uncamark

The votes are in...
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2007, 02:46:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'170962\' date=\'Nov 30 2007, 01:36 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'170900\' date=\'Nov 29 2007, 07:23 PM\']
[/quote]

It was! It was! The contestants picked what kind of a prize they'd want if they won, and they put those contestants together when they had it. It took me 30-some years to discover the answer to that!

Has anyone verified if the 30 Treasure Hunt boxes truly had thirty different contents? Let's say a certain number of boxes are klunks. Couldn't they have been the same klunk to make production easier? If it's picked the first game, they have a back-up clunk for the second? Maybe they have two bits set up for any of 8 boxes with checks inside, two bits for the six boxes with cars.
[/quote]

Things had to be that way for the 1981 version, with the 66 boxes.

Also factor in what was in the boxes (and there may have been more than six car boxes) two or three furniture rooms and two or three trip/jewelry/fur/spending cash (all of which with the "Added Surprises").

clemon79

The votes are in...
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2007, 02:58:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'170962\' date=\'Nov 30 2007, 11:36 AM\']
It was! It was! The contestants picked what kind of a prize they'd want if they won, and they put those contestants together when they had it. It took me 30-some years to discover the answer to that![/quote]
Thanks, yes, I know that. However, that kinda precludes usage of the word "espeically", does it not?

Neumms

The votes are in...
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2007, 03:00:29 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'170965\' date=\'Nov 30 2007, 02:46 PM\']
Things had to be that way for the 1981 version, with the 66 boxes.

Also factor in what was in the boxes (and there may have been more than six car boxes) two or three furniture rooms and two or three trip/jewelry/fur/spending cash (all of which with the "Added Surprises").
[/quote]

So it's only taken me 40 years to figure this one out! I know I've read on sites, though, how Geoff had to memorize 30 different skits, and there's no doubt he had work to do, just not THAT much.

Neumms

The votes are in...
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2007, 03:03:26 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'170967\' date=\'Nov 30 2007, 02:58 PM\']
Thanks, yes, I know that. However, that kinda precludes usage of the word "espeically", does it not?
[/quote]

Well, for sure it would preclude "just for you," since it was chosen for the three losing couples, too.

That Don Guy

The votes are in...
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2007, 03:35:55 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'170890\' date=\'Nov 29 2007, 03:33 PM\']
I have an odd memory that involves two shows from the marathon, actually one show from the marathon and a prior incarnation of another. On at least one ep of Treasure Hunt, Geoff referred to the $25K as the biggest prize on TV, and I thought, "You know better than that!" The incarnation of Jackpot! that aired at that time had a bigger potential Super Jackpot. They generated a random figure that could go as high as $995, like what we saw on the 1989 version, and a multiplier between 5 and 50. Multiplying those two gave you the Super Jackpot amount. (They also stipulated that if the highest figure and a 50 came up together, they'd make it an even $50,000.)
[/quote]
Split 50/50 between the Expert/King of the Hill and the holder of the Jackpot/Super Jackpot riddle.  It's a tie--and besides, Bob Stewart would kill himself if $995 X 50 ever happened.  :)[/quote]
Also tied with the weekly syndicated $25,000 Pyramid and Jeopardy! at the time.

And didn't 995 x 50 happen once - and either somebody reached the target or there was a Super Jackpot riddle in that game?  (Wasn't "I'm present tense and past tense" for $50,000?)
Also, there was one time when, because of a malfunction, the target was 55, and Standards & Practices allowed it.

-- Don

uncamark

The votes are in...
« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2007, 05:32:10 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'171449\' date=\'Dec 6 2007, 02:35 PM\']
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'170890\' date=\'Nov 29 2007, 03:33 PM\']
[/quote]
Split 50/50 between the Expert/King of the Hill and the holder of the Jackpot/Super Jackpot riddle.  It's a tie--and besides, Bob Stewart would kill himself if $995 X 50 ever happened.  :)[/quote]
Also tied with the weekly syndicated $25,000 Pyramid and Jeopardy! at the time.

And didn't 995 x 50 happen once - and either somebody reached the target or there was a Super Jackpot riddle in that game?  (Wasn't "I'm present tense and past tense" for $50,000?)
Also, there was one time when, because of a malfunction, the target was 55, and Standards & Practices allowed it.[/quote]

After I made this post, I do recall $995 X 50 happening and that there was a Super Jackpot riddle in the game (I only saw in the original only one Target match--and the Expert couldn't find the Jackpot riddle to complete the play--but I didn't see every show and it was over 30 years ago).  I don't remember what the riddle was.  I suspect they still had to keep the sharp objects away from Bob Stewart.  :)

I don't remember the multiplier showing 55 (probably due to a sticking Solari board).

beatlefreak84

The votes are in...
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2007, 09:12:05 AM »
After I made this post, I do recall $995 X 50 happening and that there was a Super Jackpot riddle in the game (I only saw in the original only one Target match--and the Expert couldn't find the Jackpot riddle to complete the play--but I didn't see every show and it was over 30 years ago). I don't remember what the riddle was. I suspect they still had to keep the sharp objects away from Bob Stewart. :)

While I never saw the episode in question (sad to say that I wasn't born yet!), I do recall Geoff telling the story of that riddle to Da Perf, and it was, "I'm present tense and past tense..."  He said that the contestant got it wrong, and he could hear Stewart yell from offstage, "SOUND THE BUZZER!"  He also said that, yes; the crowd became a little restless after that point and booed as soon as they heard the answer:

(highlight just in case you want to challenge yourself!)

[color=\"#FFFFFF\"]Seesaw[/color]

Is this episode believed erased?

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

BillCullen1

The votes are in...
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2007, 04:48:01 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' post=\'171476\' date=\'Dec 7 2007, 09:12 AM\']
After I made this post, I do recall $995 X 50 happening and that there was a Super Jackpot riddle in the game (I only saw in the original only one Target match--and the Expert couldn't find the Jackpot riddle to complete the play--but I didn't see every show and it was over 30 years ago). I don't remember what the riddle was. I suspect they still had to keep the sharp objects away from Bob Stewart. :)

While I never saw the episode in question (sad to say that I wasn't born yet!), I do recall Geoff telling the story of that riddle to Da Perf, and it was, "I'm present tense and past tense..."  He said that the contestant got it wrong, and he could hear Stewart yell from offstage, "SOUND THE BUZZER!"  He also said that, yes; the crowd became a little restless after that point and booed as soon as they heard the answer:

(highlight just in case you want to challenge yourself!)

[color=\"#FFFFFF\"]Seesaw[/color]

Is this episode believed erased?

Anthony
[/quote]

For the amount of money involved, what were you expecting them to ask?
Who's buried in Grant's Tomb?

Robert Hutchinson

The votes are in...
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2007, 05:41:52 PM »
Well, there's tricky, and then there's unfair. Was "I'm present tense and past tense" really the entirety of the riddle?
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

The votes are in...
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2007, 06:19:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'172616\' date=\'Dec 20 2007, 02:41 PM\']
Well, there's tricky, and then there's unfair. Was "I'm present tense and past tense" really the entirety of the riddle?
[/quote]
For a Super Jackpot? Why shouldn't it be? Admittedly, I just figured out why it was what it was just now, but for $20K or so in 1970's dollars, I think it's reasonable.

Robert Hutchinson

The votes are in...
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2007, 09:37:49 PM »
To get in five seconds? Even as a long shot?

If you say so.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

The votes are in...
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2007, 09:41:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'172647\' date=\'Dec 20 2007, 06:37 PM\']
To get in five seconds? Even as a long shot?

If you say so.
[/quote]
I could be wrong. I suppose you do have a point...maybe if it was something like "I'm the playground toy that is present tense and past tense. What am I?"