Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The votes are in...  (Read 20222 times)

Steve McClellan

The votes are in...
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2007, 06:40:37 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'170383\' date=\'Nov 24 2007, 03:19 AM\'] [quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' post=\'170367\' date=\'Nov 23 2007, 05:51 PM\']
And that episode is proof positive that The Joker's Wild sucks copious quantites of nether region.[/quote]
Why? Because Shear sniped the game? That would be the "Lady Luck is Queen" part of the whole equation. [/quote]
For some reason, I find myself quite unfond of any game where a player can play absolutely perfectly and lose to a guy who blew an easy question.

/Not that there's any other kind of question on a B&E show.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The votes are in...
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2007, 06:46:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' post=\'170422\' date=\'Nov 24 2007, 03:40 PM\']
For some reason, I find myself quite unfond of any game where a player can play absolutely perfectly and lose to a guy who blew an easy question.[/quote]
Fair enough. For me, the stakes are so low, and they are so up-front about luck playing a major factor (they tell you directly in the intro: you have to be smart AND lucky), that it just doesn't bother me. It is what it is, it doesn't pretend to be anything else, and that's fine.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
The votes are in...
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2007, 12:33:17 PM »
Question for the pedantic: wasn't this ep of Joker the last syndie ep that aired on the Sunday night schedule some 4 years ago? I remember they replaced it with CBS Joker for a few weeks before taking the show off entirely.
@lambertman

Jay Temple

The votes are in...
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2007, 07:37:56 PM »
If you're right, it was more than four years ago. I got GSN in 2002, and I would've remembered TJW being on the schedule.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Chelsea Thrasher

The votes are in...
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2007, 07:46:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'170484\' date=\'Nov 25 2007, 08:37 PM\'] If you're right, it was more than four years ago. I got GSN in 2002, and I would've remembered TJW being on the schedule. [/quote]

They pulled it off for good in late-August 2001.  They'd just finished the April 1973 abbreviated Kids Week.

Memory's a bit rusty, but I want to say they were actually to the 1978 $100,000 Tournament when they swapped in the CBS run on Sunday nights (after having pulled said CBS run from weekdays).  It could have been Hal though.

sshuffield70

The votes are in...
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2007, 07:47:25 PM »
ISTR, Joker being on Sunday nights when I first got GSN.  It was taken off when PYL and LMAD premiered.

jdhernandez

The votes are in...
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2007, 04:58:49 AM »
They did get to the end of Hal's run, and also went a couple episodes past the tournament where Hal played. The only reason I remember that it aired was because of his final episode on TJW.

/"Schenectady"
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

1984Gameshowsfan

The votes are in...
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2007, 04:47:50 PM »
My various thoughts on the marathon:

Didn't get to see the Family Feud episode, I woke up at about 6:35 AM.

The Tattletales episode was awesome, I haven't seen much of the 80's run of the show

My family and I were out doing errands so I didn't get to see the shows from 11 AM-1 PM, my family and I got home during the last 3 minutes or so of Hot Potato.

TJW: 2 words, Holy Cow! Hal Shear needed 3 Jokers and he got them, great episode!

Never seen and episode of Bullseye or Jackpot on GSN before for various reasons,
Jackpot: good show, maybe it could work today
Bullseye: Jeez that Bonus Round took forever, that Bonus game must have taken at least 10 minutes to play give or take a few.

Password: Very cool to see an episode from the original run

PYL: Woah, Veronica has a very weird sense of humor

As for everything else, it was fantastic I give the marathon(at least the shows I got to see) an A+, keep it up GSN.

ChuckNet

The votes are in...
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2007, 05:36:31 AM »
Found a source...thanks to all who replied!

Chuck Donegan (The Grateful "Chuckie Baby")

uncamark

The votes are in...
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2007, 07:06:10 PM »
Thanks to Comcast listing it as one program, I watched and fast forwarded some of it ("PYL" front game, B&E end games except for Bonus Island, "CS" front game) overnight Saturday/Sunday.

Meg Ryan was [Letterman on Mary Hart] too damn perky [Letterman] even in 1982--and she had to wear a loose top, too!  :)

The "Treasure Hunt" ep was notable as the first recorded contestant fainting of the series, when Vera saw that Rolls Royce--Barris noted it in I believe "Confessions," only changing the contestant's last name to "Flotsam."

I'm still fascinated by "Bullseye," although I assume I would be less fascinated if I had been able to watch it every weekday instead of once-every-few-years.  Nice to note that inserting a commercial break in a climatic moment in the end game is not something Endemolian or Darnellian (although Darnell would probably show the contestant hitting the plunger and then going to commercial).

Geoff's always good, but 1974 "Jackpot!" was always better than 1989 "Jackpot!"  Outside of the Return Trip gimmick, I never warmed to the tweaks that the show went though in the 80s (most of them in the Canadian era).

BrandonFG

The votes are in...
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2007, 07:16:16 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'170729\' date=\'Nov 28 2007, 07:06 PM\']
(although Darnell would probably show the contestant hitting the plunger and then going to commercial).
[/quote]
And showing a Mark Thompson preview clip of Jim Lange asking the contestant what to do, as the obligatory tear drop rolls down her face.

/I'm starting to hate the current state of game shows more and more
//Even more so by reading about Password 08.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jay Temple

The votes are in...
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2007, 08:41:59 PM »
I have an odd memory that involves two shows from the marathon, actually one show from the marathon and a prior incarnation of another. On at least one ep of Treasure Hunt, Geoff referred to the $25K as the biggest prize on TV, and I thought, "You know better than that!" The incarnation of Jackpot! that aired at that time had a bigger potential Super Jackpot. They generated a random figure that could go as high as $995, like what we saw on the 1989 version, and a multiplier between 5 and 50. Multiplying those two gave you the Super Jackpot amount. (They also stipulated that if the highest figure and a 50 came up together, they'd make it an even $50,000.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

J.R.

The votes are in...
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2007, 10:11:31 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'170730\' date=\'Nov 28 2007, 06:16 PM\']/I'm starting to hate the current state of game shows more and more
//Even more so by reading about Password 08.[/quote]
Please send in that resume, sir. :-)
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The votes are in...
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2007, 10:53:28 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'170729\' date=\'Nov 28 2007, 04:06 PM\']
I'm still fascinated by "Bullseye," although I assume I would be less fascinated if I had been able to watch it every weekday instead of once-every-few-years.[/quote]
Not really. It was enjoyable when you could watch it daily, too. I've always had a thing for that particular building-a-bank concept.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

The votes are in...
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2007, 01:24:33 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'170777\' date=\'Nov 28 2007, 10:53 PM\']
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'170729\' date=\'Nov 28 2007, 04:06 PM\']
I'm still fascinated by "Bullseye," although I assume I would be less fascinated if I had been able to watch it every weekday instead of once-every-few-years.[/quote]
Not really. It was enjoyable when you could watch it daily, too. I've always had a thing for that particular building-a-bank concept.
[/quote]

Nah, I wasn't all that fascinated. If they'd have produced it as a more serious alternative to Tic-Tac-Dough and Joker's Wild, it could have been cool. But the spinny wheely gizmo was dopey, the set was dopey and Jim Lange was, uh, not as sharp as someone else may have been.

Not that bringing F. Lee Bailey and Harvey Korman to the same stage wasn't worth something.