Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Paley Center for Media in NYC  (Read 22312 times)

trainman

The Paley Center for Media in NYC
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2007, 12:59:42 AM »
[quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'169566\' date=\'Nov 14 2007, 06:20 PM\']
The entire lineup of NBC shows for 3/17/78 is available which includes episodes of HSQ, To Say The Least, Knockout and WOF that are *not* on the trade circuit.[/quote]

To put various preceding messages together: the Paley Center has in its collection the entire broadcast day of March 17, 1978, from Channel 39 in San Diego.  So once you've watched all the game shows, you can also see such things as Tom Brokaw on the "Today" show attempting to explain that this is the end of the show for half the country and the midpoint of the show for the other half.
trainman is a man of trains

PYLW

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2007, 01:42:46 AM »
It was quite fun. I watched an episode of Celebrity Sweepstakes from 1975, great stuff. I don't want to spoil, but there's a few really cool things and little moments in the episode.

I also watched an episode of Trebek High Rollers from 1975, which was also great stuff. The set looks so much better, as compared to the later Trebek version. I took a few poor quality screenshots with the camera in my phone, so I may upload them if they look any sort of decent.

The video quality on both episodes was marvelous for the age. The Trebek High Rollers' intro was audio only, the video came up when Kenny introduced Alex. The gameplay is only slightly different.

Overall, it was great stuff and I am definitely going back again.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 01:43:03 AM by PYLW »

Eric Paddon

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2007, 01:48:52 AM »
The Trebek HR episode I saw in New York had a moment similar to the "Big Falldown" when the chandelier that lowered fell right on Ruta Lee's head as she came out, and Alex had to make sure she was okay.

Even more interesting is that one of the contestants was NFL placekicker Ray Wersching, whose career was just starting at that point.    That was about the latest point in time where a professional athlete on a major league level team would still feel a need to go on TV to make a few extra bucks on a game show!

PYLW

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2007, 02:19:15 AM »
[quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'169596\' date=\'Nov 15 2007, 01:48 AM\'] The Trebek HR episode I saw in New York had a moment similar to the "Big Falldown" when the chandelier that lowered fell right on Ruta Lee's head as she came out, and Alex had to make sure she was okay.
[/quote]

Oh wow, I didn't see that. Then again, the episode stopped before Ruta came out for some odd reason, so I may have hit fast forward for a little too long the second time I loaded it up.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Searching for Andy Warhol's name was fantastic advice, very easily found a few of the many things I'd like to see there.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 02:24:47 AM by PYLW »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2007, 02:53:17 AM »
[quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'169596\' date=\'Nov 14 2007, 10:48 PM\']
Even more interesting is that one of the contestants was NFL placekicker Ray Wersching, whose career was just starting at that point.
[/quote]
Did he stare at the floor a lot, and only look up after he rolled the dice? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLW

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2007, 10:19:11 AM »
Some other things that I noticed were in their library:
An episode of Tattletales, no date mentioned.
- Two more Celebrity Sweepstakes episodes. Both said they were from 1976... they may be the same one just listed twice. I may have also mis-read it (I was rushing by then...), this could've been something else.
- An episode of Let's Make a Deal
- Two Woolery Wheel episodes, one from 1976 (From some tournament, forgot what the name was), and one from 1978
- I think around five episodes of Marshall Squares. Only one of them had the running time (An episode from 1978,) so I have no idea if the hour long episode is still there. Infact, the other episodes had no information at all, just Peter as the host.
- An episode of The Money Maze.

And for those Saturday Night Live buffs, the premiere is there as well, and in great quality according to my friend.

If I wasn't rushing to pick (The viewing library area was going to close in an hour and 10 minutes by then...), I probably would've been able to keep looking for more things. My apologies. I will hopefully get their earlier next time.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 10:22:20 AM by PYLW »

mrmatchgame

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2007, 10:51:34 AM »
I had gone over this past weekend(nyc). I went around 3pm when the center was having a tribute to scrubs. At 4pm I entered and since it was closing in a little while my ticket was free :). I was only allowed into the archives viewing room.

I choose "Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour" and "TV Funniest game show Moments pt 1" When I viewed "MGHSHour" I couldn't believe I already had the episode(first episode second week). Game Show moments I didn't have but it was fun to watch. by the time I was finished I had to leave with the group and the center was closing. If I had more time I would of looked for more episodes. I was a little disappointed that they didn't have the color Match Game episode from NBC, or maybe I didn't look hard enough, It was a good time. I had been going back and forth to NYC and this was the first time I stopped by. I should go back on a day trip.

RMF

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2007, 12:30:25 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'169599\' date=\'Nov 15 2007, 02:19 AM\']
[quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'169596\' date=\'Nov 15 2007, 01:48 AM\'] The Trebek HR episode I saw in New York had a moment similar to the "Big Falldown" when the chandelier that lowered fell right on Ruta Lee's head as she came out, and Alex had to make sure she was okay.
[/quote]

Oh wow, I didn't see that. Then again, the episode stopped before Ruta came out for some odd reason, so I may have hit fast forward for a little too long the second time I loaded it up.
[/quote]

The Paley Center has two episodes of High Rollers. The episode Paddon described is the one not in the Warhol collection (I think it has a studio master origin).

PYLW

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2007, 01:19:22 PM »
Oh wow, didn't know there were two. Next time I go, I'm definitely seeing that. Does anyone know what the airdate of Warhol's episode is? Same for the other?

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2007, 01:33:16 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'169610\' date=\'Nov 15 2007, 10:19 AM\']
- Two Woolery Wheel episodes, one from 1976 (From some tournament, forgot what the name was),
[/quote]

For those of you keeping score at home, it was called the NBC All-Star Dream Machine Championship.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Eric Paddon

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2007, 05:45:52 PM »
The Paley Center also has an additional episode of "What's My Line?" from 1950 that is not in the Goodson library and has never aired on GSN, an August 1950 episode with New York Mayor William O'Dwyer.    Evidently it was a kinescope saved from a different source.

Tim L

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2007, 09:43:54 AM »
Chicago's Museum of Broadcast Communications has made their archive much more accessible recently, though you still have to register..(It's free to do so..)

http://archives.museum.tv/register

Archive sign-up page..

Once you are in, you can search their database under various categories, one being quiz/panel/game..There are as of today 98 digital files available to view..be sure to check where it says "Digital File Available"..Among the shows available:

Down You Go (DuMont)
Beat The Clock
Concentration (1967)
Baby Game
It's Academic (Chicago) with NBC Peacock opening "Brought to you in Living Color by WMAQ-TV"-File is B&W though
It Takes Two
GE College Bowl (1959 and 60)
Jeopardy 6-27-74, 2-1972 (2000th ep.) and 1-3-75 Final of Fleming Version
Jeopardy Premiere 1984 (Trebek)
Just Men! 3-4-83
Masquerade Party (ABC) 1955
Pantomime Quiz (ABC) 1955
Music Bingo (NBC) 1958
Personality 1967
2ep. Queen For A Day ABC 1960
Public Prosecutor 1951-52 DuMont
Stump The Stars 1962 CBS
Supermarket Sweep both ABC 1966 and Lifetime 1991
This Is Your Life-several episodes from 1953-87
Tic Tac Dough NBC 1957
20 Questions DuMont 1952
Wheel of Fortune-1983 Syndicated Premiere

Just a representative sample..from early DuMont Shows all the way to Millionaire and Weakest Link..nice mix of game show history..
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 01:01:20 PM by Tim L »

Steve_Bier

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2007, 10:42:49 AM »
I know there's an episode (or two) of Jackpot! (74-75), as well as a 1983 episode of "Dream House" in their collection.....

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2007, 06:00:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve_Bier\' post=\'169671\' date=\'Nov 16 2007, 10:42 AM\']
I know there's an episode (or two) of Jackpot! (74-75), as well as a 1983 episode of "Dream House" in their collection.....
[/quote]

The episode of Jackpot! at the Paley Center is the one that aired the day before the episode on the trading circuit.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

irismason42

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2007, 02:01:50 PM »
MBC didn't have the first nighttime WOF episode but it does have another Season 1 WOF episode also from 1983, if you've been watching this episode the GSN graphic said it was "Recorded NOV 83" on the bottom left hand corner of your screen and they also have a BtC episode from 1/22/55 but the GSN graphic got it as "Aired Jan. '55" shown on the bottom left also and TTTT episode from 5/13/58 but GSN got this graphic that said "Aired May '58" on the bottom right I think.