Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Paley Center for Media in NYC  (Read 22431 times)

BrandonFG

The Paley Center for Media in NYC
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 10:15:18 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'169461\' date=\'Nov 13 2007, 09:39 PM\']
 - the same episode of Jack Clark's The Cross-Wits that's in trading circles, except complete rather than just the first 10 minutes that traders have
[/quote]
Would this be an episode that you have to reserve in advance? When I visited in 2003, the computer mentioned that it wasn't available for immediate viewing.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 10:32:29 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'169468\' date=\'Nov 13 2007, 10:15 PM\']
 - the same episode of Jack Clark's The Cross-Wits that's in trading circles, except complete rather than just the first 10 minutes that traders have[/quote]
Would this be an episode that you have to reserve in advance? When I visited in 2003, the computer mentioned that it wasn't available for immediate viewing.[/quote]
When I went to the LA center in 2005, that episode was available.  It's another episode worth watching.

tvwxman

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 11:19:34 PM »
The secret to finding the rare game shows at the museum is to enter "Andy Warhol" into the computer.

The quality of the shows are pristine ; they were NOT filmed with a camera pointed at the tube.

There is also a Bob Barker Truth or Consequences that I enjoyed tremendously. It showed his devilish humor well.... and , all jokes aside, it's part of originally what made him a damn good television personality.

Enjoy!
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

RMF

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 11:38:19 PM »
Would this be an episode that you have to reserve in advance? When I visited in 2003, the computer mentioned that it wasn't available for immediate viewing.
[/quote]

At least in NYC, reservation in advance no longer exists. The episode you want is either available or not, and that episode was available as of September.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 12:00:23 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'169462\' date=\'Nov 13 2007, 09:45 PM\']
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'169460\' date=\'Nov 13 2007, 09:35 PM\']
Incidentally, I read somewhere that Andy was a huge television/game show fan, and the shows of his that the Paley Center owns were recorded by him placing a video camera in front of the television in his living room.
[/quote]
I've seen a bunch of the episodes he recorded and the quality is far too good to have come from a camera placed front of the TV.  It's far more likely, given his means, that he was able to buy one of the early VCRs and used that.

As you were told regarding the Globe story, you need to be more careful with your sources.
[/quote]

This was merely information provided to me by the museum itself, back when it was known as the Museum of Television and Radio...late 2005, IIRC.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 12:00:53 AM by DoorNumberFour »
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

dzinkin

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 06:07:19 AM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'169477\' date=\'Nov 14 2007, 12:00 AM\']
This was merely information provided to me by the museum itself, back when it was known as the Museum of Television and Radio...late 2005, IIRC.
[/quote]
If so, your source there was wrong, though since you apparently didn't see the tapes yourself I can understand why you would take it at face value.  That said, "a representative of the Museum told me" is not the same thing as "I read (it) somewhere," and it's the latter that has gotten people into trouble.

I repeat: please be more careful, not only with your sources but also with citing them.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 06:12:49 AM by dzinkin »

dzinkin

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2007, 09:39:52 AM »
 - the same episode of Jack Clark's The Cross-Wits that's in trading circles, except complete rather than just the first 10 minutes that traders have
[/quote]
[/quote]
It wasn't -- it was in the "archives" portion that supposedly required a reservation but I was able to watch it on my second attempt without having requested a transfer.  The first time I tried, it had been transferred but, unfortunately, someone else was watching it at the same time I was there.

And I still want to know which one of you it was, because if I find out on my own, I'll lock the offender in the special David Sparks Isolation Booth for life. ;-)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 09:42:45 AM by dzinkin »

uncamark

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2007, 12:41:18 PM »
In my one trip to the Paley Center in 2002, I went really old-school and watched a George DeWitt-era "Name That Tune" with Johnny Olsen announcing and doing an on-camera commercial (one of the John Glenn/Eddie Hodges episodes--boy, that version gave me suspicions of being rigged) and an episode of the original "Strike It Rich"--watch it all the way through for proof of that show's exploitative and maudlin tendencies.

Neumms

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 12:50:31 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'169489\' date=\'Nov 14 2007, 09:39 AM\']
It wasn't -- it was in the "archives" portion that supposedly required a reservation but I was able to watch it on my second attempt without having requested a transfer.  The first time I tried, it had been transferred but, unfortunately, someone else was watching it at the same time I was there.
[/quote]

That's an important note to the visitor. Don't be afraid of the archives section. That's where most of the good stuff is, and there's not usually any trouble getting it.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007, 08:32:23 PM »
That's the 7/4/75 ep, but there's a second one in the Center's collection as well -- can't recall the date offhand but its entry in the catalog notes that it's part of the Warhol collection that Brandon mentioned. That one does have the intro intact, if my memory is correct. (The Moneymaze episode Mike cited is part of the same collection.)

Other goodies/oddities:

- one episode of Knockout with Arte Johnson
- one episode of To Say the Least from the same day as the Knockout episode

I was there in 2001 and saw that other episode of High Rollers - intro is intact.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to see the Celebrity Sweepstakes or Money Maze ep at the time, as they were "unavailable".  I hope to make it there again sometime in the future.

Anyone know if the episodes of Knockout and To Say the Least are the ones in the trade curcuit?  I'd love to be able to pin down an air date for that Knockout episode, but there's absolutely no clues as to when it was.

If anyone's interested, I have figured out exact air dates for several of the Hit Man episodes that are out there because of some of the original commercials contained in one of them.  I'll be updating them on my online list soon.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 08:32:59 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

dzinkin

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 09:10:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'169562\' date=\'Nov 14 2007, 08:32 PM\']
Anyone know if the episodes of Knockout and To Say the Least are the ones in the trade curcuit?  I'd love to be able to pin down an air date for that Knockout episode, but there's absolutely no clues as to when it was.
[/quote]
The Knockout episodes definitely aren't the same, because having seen the museum's episode already, I asked for the show in a trade expecting the same episode and it wasn't.

For what it's worth, one of the Paley Center's episodes of Hollywood Squares is also from the same day as the Knockout and To Say the Least episodes.  At the end of one of the three — I'm obviously going from memory here but am almost positive that it was Squares — there's a news break from San Diego's KCST (now KNSD) that may help pinpoint the date if it's not in the catalog.

At one point the Paley Center announced plans to put its entire database online and perhaps make some shows available for viewing.  Even if it's just the former, it would be useful.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 09:12:08 PM by dzinkin »

Eric Paddon

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2007, 09:20:35 PM »
The entire lineup of NBC shows for 3/17/78 is available which includes episodes of HSQ, To Say The Least, Knockout and WOF that are *not* on the trade circuit.    

Also there is a 1969 original Match Game in color with Tony Randall and Peggy Cass I believe as the guests.

dzinkin

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2007, 09:29:20 PM »
In case anyone's interested, I took notes during one of my visits and posted a report here.  On that particular trip I watched two episodes of Hollywood Squares (the 10th anniversary show I noted earlier and the Good Friday episode from 1976), the test episode of Jeopardy! (which also had a different rule regarding Daily Doubles that I'd forgotten about), and The Cross-Wits.  It's nearly spoiler-free except for a few answers-and-questions cited as examples of the aforementioned strict judging on J!.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 09:32:08 PM by dzinkin »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2007, 09:39:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'169566\' date=\'Nov 14 2007, 08:20 PM\']
The entire lineup of NBC shows for 3/17/78 is available which includes episodes of HSQ, To Say The Least, Knockout and WOF that are *not* on the trade circuit.    
[/quote]
Not to mention that day's GONG.  But don't let that stop you.  :)
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Eric Paddon

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2007, 09:43:30 PM »
That was the one show in the group I didn't watch. :)