Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Paley Center for Media in NYC  (Read 22402 times)

PYLW

The Paley Center for Media in NYC
« on: November 13, 2007, 06:43:20 PM »
Gah, my post is gone. To make a long story short, I'm going to be going there tomorrow. I know the 2000th episode of Fleming Jeopardy! is in there, but does anyone know what else is in there, game show wise, of any note? Thanks.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 06:46:51 PM »
There are tons of game shows in there, recent as well as classic.  My best suggestion is to go in there with a list of titles or personalities written down (you'll forget some if you just try to memorize it) and just plug them all into the excellent search resource until you find something you want.  Alternately, I think you can specifically search for the category of 'game show', but you run the risk of missing something that's been incorrectly tagged.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 06:48:37 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'169433\' date=\'Nov 13 2007, 06:43 PM\']
Gah, my post is gone. To make a long story short, I'm going to be going there tomorrow. I know the 2000th episode of Fleming Jeopardy! is in there, but does anyone know what else is in there, game show wise, of any note? Thanks.
[/quote]
When I went, I saw a couple of Woolery Wheels (a 1976 tournament of champions* and a generic one from 1978), a Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour, Gambit, Trebek High Rollers (from the first run), and an ep. of The Money Maze (not the pilot floating on the circuit). That's what I can remember, but there's plenty of other stuff, including some gems taped by Andy Warhol, c. 1975 or 76.

Somewhere floating around the Interwebs, you can find a list of shows, compiled by one of the posters.

*SMALL SPOILER: [color=\"white\"]The champion from that tournament, Judy Bonganine (I think that was it), appears in Maxene Fabe's 1979 book. She also appears on said episode.[/color]
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 07:11:39 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLW

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 06:51:02 PM »
Ahh, thanks Matt. This is my first time in there, so I don't know what to expect, really. That was what I was planning on doing, though. Is there a limit on what you can pick? I'm guessing it's around 4 shows?

EDIT: Ooo, thanks fostergray. I've always wondered what the first run of Trebek High Rollers looked like. And I've always wanted to view Gambit. Thanks. :D
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 06:52:06 PM by PYLW »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 07:03:11 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'169439\' date=\'Nov 13 2007, 06:51 PM\']
Ahh, thanks Matt. This is my first time in there, so I don't know what to expect, really. That was what I was planning on doing, though. Is there a limit on what you can pick? I'm guessing it's around 4 shows?[/quote]
There are limits both on the number of shows you select and how long you can be in the viewing center.  I think you're able to select four shows, but theoretically you only get to spend an hour watching them.  At least that was the surprising limit when I visited in April.  Still, I don't think anybody will hover over you with a stopwatch.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 07:13:33 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'169439\' date=\'Nov 13 2007, 06:51 PM\']EDIT: Ooo, thanks fostergray. I've always wondered what the first run of Trebek High Rollers looked like.[/quote]
If this is the same mid-70s Trebek High Rollers as the one in Beverly Hills, definitely watch this.  The air date of the ep. I saw was July 4, 1975.

RMF

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 08:04:31 PM »
I happen to be a member of the Paley Center (only $50 for a student, and I currently live in NYC), so I have some comments:

1) I'd advise to search by title, and, even more so, by words in the title. Searching by subject category or by personality names is problematic due to the quality of the cataloging (there are quite a few programs in the collection that haven't been fully cataloged), and some of the listings do not have full titles (for instance, the word "Magnificent" is missing from one of the listings for the Magnificent Marble Machine).

2) The viewing limit for non-members is two programs of no more than one hour in length, though, as pointed out, the strictness of this depends on how busy the museum is. Also, the time given in the viewing center is always somewhat longer than the length of the selected programs.

3) As for holdings, the game show collection includes, among other things, an episode of We Interrupt This Week with Gore Vidal on the panel, a Movie Game with some unlikely appearances, an episode available for viewing (and several which aren't) of a version of Information Please not in the common records, some local material, the two known color Bob Clayton Concentrations, the last episode of Johnny Carson's Who Do You Trust? run, and quite a few other rarities from 1949 onwards.

snowpeck

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 08:50:09 PM »
I visited the LA museum last April and they were very lenient.  I'm not a member. They let me pick out 2 hours worth of material (any combination adding up to 2 hours) and if you got done with it in less time than that (I just wanted to take peeks at as much as I could since I had no idea when I'd ever be back in LA) you can go back and pick out more material.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 08:53:41 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'169445\' date=\'Nov 13 2007, 07:13 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'169439\' date=\'Nov 13 2007, 06:51 PM\']EDIT: Ooo, thanks fostergray. I've always wondered what the first run of Trebek High Rollers looked like.[/quote]
If this is the same mid-70s Trebek High Rollers as the one in Beverly Hills, definitely watch this.  The air date of the ep. I saw was July 4, 1975.
[/quote]
I'm thinking of the episode where [color=\"white\"]Ruta bumps her head on the chandelier as she enters[/color]...and IIRC, the first couple of seconds of the intro are missing, at least the visual portion.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

mmb5

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 09:12:31 PM »
And if you want to go way off the board, check out 'You're on Your Own', a mid-50's Barry pilot or 'You're Putting Me on', a 1969 Bob Stewart pilot.  The Money Maze episode is real good as well.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 09:35:28 PM »
There's also an episode of Celebrity Sweepstakes from 1976 with original commercials, taped by Andy Warhol.

Incidentally, I read somewhere that Andy was a huge television/game show fan, and the shows of his that the Paley Center owns were recorded by him placing a video camera in front of the television in his living room.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

dzinkin

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 09:39:53 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'169457\' date=\'Nov 13 2007, 08:53 PM\']
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'169445\' date=\'Nov 13 2007, 07:13 PM\']
[/quote]
I'm thinking of the episode where [color=\"white\"]Ruta bumps her head on the chandelier as she enters[/color]...and IIRC, the first couple of seconds of the intro are missing, at least the visual portion.
[/quote]
That's the 7/4/75 ep, but there's a second one in the Center's collection as well -- can't recall the date offhand but its entry in the catalog notes that it's part of the Warhol collection that Brandon mentioned.  That one does have the intro intact, if my memory is correct.  (The Moneymaze episode Mike cited is part of the same collection.)

Other goodies/oddities:

- the same episode of Jack Clark's The Cross-Wits that's in trading circles, except complete rather than just the first 10 minutes that traders have
 - a test episode of Jeopardy! from 1964 with some very, very strict judging
 - several episodes of Marshall Hollywood Squares, including an hour-long special episode from the 10th Anniversary Week that has multiple celebrities in each square over the course of the show
 - an episode of The Neighbors with Regis Philbin (another Warhol recording)
 - the pilot for the '50s run of Tic Tac Dough, with Jack Barry hosting
 - one episode of Knockout with Arte Johnson
 - one episode of To Say the Least from the same day as the Knockout episode

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 09:40:06 PM by dzinkin »

dzinkin

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 09:45:51 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'169460\' date=\'Nov 13 2007, 09:35 PM\']
Incidentally, I read somewhere that Andy was a huge television/game show fan, and the shows of his that the Paley Center owns were recorded by him placing a video camera in front of the television in his living room.
[/quote]
I've seen a bunch of the episodes he recorded and the quality is far too good to have come from a camera placed front of the TV.  It's far more likely, given his means, that he was able to buy one of the early VCRs and used that.

As you were told regarding the Globe story, you need to be more careful with your sources.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 09:46:28 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'169460\' date=\'Nov 13 2007, 09:35 PM\']Incidentally, I read somewhere that Andy was a huge television/game show fan, and the shows of his that the Paley Center owns were recorded by him placing a video camera in front of the television in his living room.[/quote]
. . . beginning a tradition valiantly carried on, even today, by YouTubers worldwide.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 09:50:53 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'169460\' date=\'Nov 13 2007, 06:35 PM\']
the shows of his that the Paley Center owns were recorded by him placing a video camera in front of the television in his living room.
[/quote]
Who knew that Warhole would inspire a movement on You Tube?