Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: game shows " on the road "  (Read 3186 times)

Bob Zager

game shows " on the road "
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 06:44:11 PM »
Besides WBSM, I recall special "Spring Break," editions of MTV's Remote Control, as well as Singled Out, airing from Florida, set on the beach.

I may/may not have mentioned somewhere here on the forum sometime ago, that Bob Barker's Truth or Consequences sometimes went on the road, and was either produced in large theaters, or sometimes even in outdoor settings.  Back in 1968, my late grandmother wanted to surprise me with tickets to see TORC when it came to Detroit for a week's worth of tapings.  She managed to get tickets to see the show, but my late father wouldn't let us go, fearing our safety, since there was a massive riot in Detroit the year before.  My cousins ended up going to see the show instead.

TimK2003

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 08:56:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'168933\' date=\'Nov 6 2007, 07:44 PM\']
I may/may not have mentioned somewhere here on the forum sometime ago, that Bob Barker's Truth or Consequences sometimes went on the road, and was either produced in large theaters, or sometimes even in outdoor settings.  Back in 1968, my late grandmother wanted to surprise me with tickets to see TORC when it came to Detroit for a week's worth of tapings.  She managed to get tickets to see the show, but my late father wouldn't let us go, fearing our safety, since there was a massive riot in Detroit the year before.  My cousins ended up going to see the show instead.
[/quote]

You're right about T or C going on the road.  I remember when WJW-TV 8 had a 25th Anniversary special in the 70's, they showed the opening clip from that show (a shot of the Terminal Tower from Public Square) saying, "Hello Cleveland!  We've been waiting for you".

And wasn't the Saturday night game show, "Almost Anything Goes" with Regis Philbin in a different locale/high school stadium each week as well?

gsfreak82

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 09:36:08 PM »
[quote name='Bob Zager' date='Nov 6 2007, 07:44 PM' post='168933']
Besides WBSM, I recall special "Spring Break," editions of MTV's Remote Control, as well as Singled Out, airing from Florida, set on the beach.

Not only did Remote Control did Spring Break eps. from Florida, but they did one episode at a fans house celebrating MTV at your house.

uncamark

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 12:50:37 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'168937\' date=\'Nov 6 2007, 07:56 PM\']
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'168933\' date=\'Nov 6 2007, 07:44 PM\']
[/quote]

You're right about T or C going on the road.  I remember when WJW-TV 8 had a 25th Anniversary special in the 70's, they showed the opening clip from that show (a shot of the Terminal Tower from Public Square) saying, "Hello Cleveland!  We've been waiting for you".

And wasn't the Saturday night game show, "Almost Anything Goes" with Regis Philbin in a different locale/high school stadium each week as well?
[/quote]

"AAG" did indeed originate from the small town stadium of one of the competing towns each week (similar, I assume, to its model, "It's a Knockout").

"T or C"'s last road trip was to Seattle in 1973, I believe.  Barker had an illness that didn't allow him to come up (this was when Dennis James filled in for him on "TPIR") and Ralph Edwards himself filled in.