Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Debating Game covered as news by ABC Radio  (Read 5948 times)

Matt Ottinger

Debating Game covered as news by ABC Radio
« on: September 25, 2003, 11:49:33 AM »
On my way into my office this morning, I was listening to ABC radio news at the top of the hour.  Their kicker story was a *lengthy* package about GSN's Debating Game, which apparently taped last night while the major candidates were having an only slightly more dignified \"real\" debate.

They included three sound bites:  Kennedy's introduction, Gary Coleman introducing himself and Mary Carey answering a question (\"What California city has the zip code 90210?\").  They also had Mary answering a reporter's question about why she'd be a good governor (something about teenage boys and jumping up and down).

Say what you want (and heaven knows some of you have) but this stunt is reaping huge rewards for GSN in terms of the free publicity it's generating for the network, and that can ONLY be a good thing.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

cmjb13

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 12:09:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 25 2003, 11:49 AM\'] Say what you want (and heaven knows some of you have) but this stunt is reaping huge rewards for GSN in terms of the free publicity it's generating for the network, and that can ONLY be a good thing. [/quote]
It can, but if people sample GSN due to this and don't like what they see and tune out, there is nothing gained.

Free publicity means squat if it doesn't bring in viewers (which should be the point of publicity) or money (which are driven by viewers and ratings)

That's my 2 cents.

Interesting to see if this publicity has any impact on upcoming ratings.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2003, 12:12:43 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

goongas

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2003, 01:12:43 PM »
Would the winner of the money be able to keep it and not spend it on their campaign under California law?

Eric

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2003, 01:24:25 PM »
Next project for Mary: \"The Baiting Game.\"
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2003, 04:33:57 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Sep 25 2003, 09:09 AM\'] Free publicity means squat if it doesn't bring in viewers (which should be the point of publicity) or money (which are driven by viewers and ratings)
 [/quote]
 You're right, but it's almost certain to get some people who have never heard of GSN to tune in just to see what all of the hubbub is about, and a potential viewer is ALWAYS better than one who doesn't even know the network exists as a viewing option...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2003, 05:29:23 PM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Sep 25 2003, 12:12 PM\']Would the winner of the money be able to keep it and not spend it on their campaign under California law?[/quote]
Most likely, GSN would make the check out to whatever is the candidate's authorized campaign organization and not necessarily to the candidate directly (and Gary Coleman's refused all monies, or so I've heard).  What that organization (or the candidate personally, if they're going to make the check out to him/her directly) does with the money after they receive it isn't under GSN's control.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2003, 06:02:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 25 2003, 10:24 AM\'] Next project for Mary: "The Baiting Game." [/quote]
 Are you sure that's not \"The 'Bateing Game\"? :)

She'd be a master at it, for sure. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2003, 06:26:44 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 25 2003, 06:02 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 25 2003, 10:24 AM\'] Next project for Mary: "The Baiting Game." [/quote]
Are you sure that's not "The 'Bateing Game"? :)

She'd be a master at it, for sure. :) [/quote]
 Don't give 'em ideas, Chris...... :-)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2003, 11:14:33 PM »
It gets better....

On the Thursday edition of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, they had a feature comparing the \"real\" debate with GSN's version.  Funny stuff.  (\"Your debate didn't have a smoke machine, Jon?  Was it broken?\")
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2003, 11:23:29 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 25 2003, 05:02 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 25 2003, 10:24 AM\'] Next project for Mary: "The Baiting Game." [/quote]
Are you sure that's not "The 'Bateing Game"? :)

She'd be a master at it, for sure. :) [/quote]
 Oh, that was a good one. Give yourself a hand.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

trainman

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2003, 11:44:28 PM »
I was in the audience for the taping Wednesday night.  It's a harmless hour-long piece of fairly amusing fluff.  I definitely don't think it's going to cause the demise of GSN.

Actually, the taping took over three hours, so I'm very interested to see what the edited version is going to look like.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2003, 11:45:49 PM by trainman »
trainman is a man of trains