Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fremantle's Price is Right site  (Read 12970 times)

rugrats1

Fremantle's Price is Right site
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2007, 08:07:22 AM »
In my opinion, Fremantle can do anything they want with the graphics, since it is their show. As for the descriptions, however -- those are Brad's, and he owns those outright. Fremantle should've asked for Brad's permission, or at least give him credit, for the descriptions.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2007, 09:52:21 AM »
No one here is challenging Fremantle's right to the images, or suggesting Brad has any legal standing as far as they go.  (A concept lost on Jeremy, as so many concepts are.)  We're saying that it's beyond tacky that they would go about building their website by lifting grainy images from a fan site.  Tacky is not the same as illegal.  

There's also the matter of them lifting the text descriptions from the site.  As any high school civics teacher would tell you, that's plagiarism.  Now obviously, Brad is in no position to take Fremantle to court over something that is, in the grand scheme of things, pretty insignificant.  But Fremantle has no legal right to Brad's words, even if they are about Fremantle's show.  And in court, when it came time to prove intent, the fact that Fremantle took the images from the site would go a long way toward proving that's where the text came from as well.

Jeremy, always nice to hear from you.  It helps us all to recognize the right side of an issue when you come down on the opposite one.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2007, 01:08:53 PM »
Oh wow...I didn't even realize Fremantle stole the actual descriptions as well. Yeah, no matter how you look at it, that's a no-no, and they should definitely know better.

/They should also know how to produce game shows, but that's another story.
//Five-year-plan
///Hollywood or Bust!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

dazztardly

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2007, 01:36:45 PM »
Fremantle did the same thing with the "Game Bible" that's given to those who accquire licensed rights to TPiR. They lifted the game descriptions from Brad's website.

-Dan

cool245

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2007, 02:06:42 PM »
[quote name=\'dazztardly\' post=\'167750\' date=\'Oct 24 2007, 01:36 PM\']
Fremantle did the same thing with the "Game Bible" that's given to those who accquire licensed rights to TPiR. They lifted the game descriptions from Brad's website.

-Dan
[/quote]

I guess Fremantle won't be shutting down Brad's site anytime soon because they won't want to lose their source of information.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »
[quote name=\'dazztardly\' post=\'167750\' date=\'Oct 24 2007, 12:36 PM\'] Fremantle did the same thing with the "Game Bible" that's given to those who accquire licensed rights to TPiR. They lifted the game descriptions from Brad's website.

-Dan [/quote]

Wait a minute... so just to clarify... they're selling the show to other countries, and using BRAD's work as a guide?

Um... WTF?  Using his stuff on their website was simply a Mutually Assured Destruction - style standoff.  Tit for tat.  I could kind of see an uneasy peace.  This is more of a "Where's my money, bitch" kind of thing.

Forgive me for hyperbole, but someone owes Brad a share of those licensing fees.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2007, 02:31:54 PM »
[quote name=\'cool245\' post=\'167753\' date=\'Oct 24 2007, 02:06 PM\']I guess Fremantle won't be shutting down Brad's site anytime soon because they won't want to lose their source of information.[/quote]
This, I have to admit, is a great line.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2007, 02:52:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'167756\' date=\'Oct 24 2007, 11:31 AM\']
[quote name=\'cool245\' post=\'167753\' date=\'Oct 24 2007, 02:06 PM\']I guess Fremantle won't be shutting down Brad's site anytime soon because they won't want to lose their source of information.[/quote]
[/quote]
I was surprised too. Bravo, cool245. Bravissimo.

/I swear I never thought I would type that
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2007, 02:57:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'167756\' date=\'Oct 24 2007, 02:31 PM\']
[/quote]
Seconded.

And with what Dan just mentioned, this has gone from a simple case of lifting from a fansite to all-out plagiarism and disregard for one's property. Ignore the idea of who owns the show, you're now talking about using one's information and not giving credit for it. They don't have to pay Francini one thin dime, but they need to at least credit him for the information they stole from his website.

You can argue all you want about them owning the show, they still violated a golden rule that they teach you in elementary school. Just because not as many people will see the "bible" doesn't make it any more correct.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2007, 02:59:44 PM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' post=\'167754\' date=\'Oct 24 2007, 11:10 AM\']
This is more of a "Where's my money, bitch" kind of thing.
[/quote]
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/4878/wayne2ao2.jpg

"Is Brad Francini gonna have to choke a biatch?"
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 03:02:31 PM by clemon79 »

tpirfan28

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2007, 03:09:43 PM »
Wasn't Brad given due in the credits of the "Big Bucks" documentary?

If Fremantle is just going around lifting information to make a "bible" for distribution of a game, then damnit, we all should start making our own for their other properties.  C'mon...if they don't have to do the work to make descriptions/details/rules to a quality program.... :)

OB/:still wouldn't make it right

And in regard to the "where's my money, bitch" comment...I thought of the Family Guy segment where Stewie beats up Brian over a lost wager.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

LA the DJ

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2007, 03:44:36 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'167760\' date=\'Oct 24 2007, 03:09 PM\']
If Fremantle is just going around lifting information to make a "bible" for distribution of a game, then damnit, we all should start making our own for their other properties.  C'mon...if they don't have to do the work to make descriptions/details/rules to a quality program.... :)
[/quote]

If only someone would have made a really good Sale/Temptation site, things might be a lot different right now.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2007, 04:07:40 PM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' post=\'167765\' date=\'Oct 24 2007, 12:44 PM\']
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'167760\' date=\'Oct 24 2007, 03:09 PM\']
[/quote]

If only someone would have made a really good Sale/Temptation site, things might be a lot different right now.
[/quote]
Um, no sir, I seriously doubt that.

/wishes the TPiR site had the new theme in the clear
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

clemon79

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2007, 04:10:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' post=\'167771\' date=\'Oct 24 2007, 01:07 PM\']
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' post=\'167765\' date=\'Oct 24 2007, 12:44 PM\']
[/quote]
Um, no sir, I seriously doubt that.
[/quote]
That would be akin to using this:

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/2034/turdpolishwl9.gif

uncamark

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2007, 04:13:37 PM »
Wouldn't Roger have in his office a complete, up-to-date version of the official show bible as begun by F. Wayne and J. Wolpert 35 years ago?  (And wouldn't there be copies elsewhere in the production offices, particularly on Syd and Kathy's desks [Syd took Barker's copy]--and if Sue and Stan are now producers, wouldn't they have copies?)

And even if none of this was ever put on a computer and no one wanted to type it into a computer file, couldn't Fremantle get it scanned and cleaned up so it would be on a CD-ROM to send out to the licensees?