Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fremantle's Price is Right site  (Read 12975 times)

dzinkin

Fremantle's Price is Right site
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 06:24:14 PM »
It has been brought to my attention that there are some more-than-minor similarities between the Fremantle site and Brad Francini's site with regard to screen grabs and text.  Some examples:

Bonus Game - Brad's site vs. Fremantle's site

Bullseye - Brad's site vs. Fremantle's site

Any Number - Brad's site vs. Fremantle's site

Does anyone know how Brad is involved, if at all, with Fremantle?  It seems odd to me that they'd just lift someone's site wholesale, but I'd think that if he were involved, they'd have asked him to pull his site instead of leaving it up as a near-duplicate.  I'm not making any accusations — something just doesn't make sense here.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 06:24:40 PM by dzinkin »

Kniwt

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 08:45:06 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'167713\' date=\'Oct 23 2007, 03:24 PM\']
[/quote]

The Fremantle site uses a screengrab of Bonus Game with a Game Show Network bug!?  I'm too shocked to make any type of reasonably witty observation on this.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 09:32:25 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'167713\' date=\'Oct 23 2007, 06:24 PM\']
It has been brought to my attention that there are some more-than-minor similarities between the Fremantle site and Brad Francini's site with regard to screen grabs and text.  Some examples:

Bullseye - Brad's site vs. Fremantle's site

Any Number - Brad's site vs. Fremantle's site

Does anyone know how Brad is involved, if at all, with Fremantle?  It seems odd to me that they'd just lift someone's site wholesale, but I'd think that if he were involved, they'd have asked him to pull his site instead of leaving it up as a near-duplicate.  I'm not making any accusations — something just doesn't make sense here.
[/quote]
I can hardly believe this myself, but I talked to Tony Harrison earlier tonight, and Brad wasn't involved with this in any way.  He's apparently less than thrilled about it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 09:33:03 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2007, 11:25:52 PM »
Amazingly, stunningly tacky, even for Fremantle.  It's their show, their games, and the best thing they can do is lift text and frame grabs from a fan's site.  And for those who haven't checked, it's not just the three examples David showed, it's pretty much across the board.

I actually went to the "contact us" section and wrote Fremantle a note about it.  It'll probably get read and ignored by a peon, but it made me feel better.  There's really just no excuse for something like that.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TheLastResort

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 12:11:18 AM »
Fremantle owns the show, do they not?  They could make the argument that the images are theirs to begin with.  Not that I'm taking their side.  It was extremely lazy and unprofessional.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 12:18:13 AM »
Holy crap--I thought it was just screengrabs at first glance, but text too?

Note to Fremantle--I am not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that copyright violations do not cancel each other out. Especially not when one (Brad's) is a hell of a lot closer to Fair Use than the other (yours).
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 12:31:10 AM »
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'167730\' date=\'Oct 24 2007, 12:11 AM\']
Fremantle owns the show, do they not?  They could make the argument that the images are theirs to begin with.  Not that I'm taking their side.  It was extremely lazy and unprofessional.
[/quote]
Thing is, if Fremantle owns the show, why can't they delve into their own library and cherrypick? To use a fansite's pics, without Brad's permission is very unprofessional. Keeping the GSN logo on the pics makes it look even more so.

At the very least, ask Brad. I would think it took a lot more work for him to upload the pics, then for Fremantle to simply swipe from his page...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 12:31:24 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 12:56:22 AM »
Well, Brad is taking it well, I think...if his blog is any indication...
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Brakus

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007, 01:35:34 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'167732\' date=\'Oct 24 2007, 12:31 AM\']
[/quote]
Thing is, if Fremantle owns the show, why can't they delve into their own library and cherrypick? To use a fansite's pics, without Brad's permission is very unprofessional. Keeping the GSN logo on the pics makes it look even more so. [/quote]

Uh, Fremantle can do whatever the hell they want with those TPiR clips that Brad made. It is their property to begin with. End of story.

Brad should be so lucky that he's gotten a free pass from them for so long. They could always go the route that Sony did and issue the all-powerful cease-and-desist order, and we all know nobody wants that.
"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. THAT is the secret of life." -- Iskandar, King of Conquerors (Fate/Zero, Fate/GO)

jalman

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007, 02:01:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Brakus\' post=\'167734\' date=\'Oct 24 2007, 01:35 AM\']
Uh, Fremantle can do whatever the hell they want with those TPiR clips that Brad made. It is their property to begin with. End of story.
[/quote]
Uh, swiping text descriptions someone else made word-for-word is not a Good Thing (tm).  Screengrabs are still copyrighted but the copy-and-paste style maneuver IS tacky. Brad's web site is not Wikipedia (which would have the place to swipe). But...
Brad should be so lucky that he's gotten a free pass from them for so long. They could always go the route that Sony did and issue the all-powerful cease-and-desist order, and we all know nobody wants that.
...he has taken this pretty well.  Fremantle has shown to be more fan-friendly (e.g. YouTube Family Feud clips) and Sony is historically....Sony.  I don't think Brad "dodged a bullet" as much as a Web site staffer was overeager/ignorant.

Fladam

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2007, 02:22:00 AM »
Wow, this whole thing is incredibly interesting...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2007, 02:31:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Brakus\' post=\'167734\' date=\'Oct 23 2007, 10:35 PM\']
[/quote]
Ya know, the second I saw your handle, I didn't even have to scroll down to know the angle you were going to take on this. You didn't disappoint me.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 02:32:13 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2007, 03:25:54 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'167732\' date=\'Oct 24 2007, 12:31 AM\']
[/quote]
Thing is, if Fremantle owns the show, why can't they delve into their own library and cherrypick? To use a fansite's pics, without Brad's permission is very unprofessional. Keeping the GSN logo on the pics makes it look even more so. [/quote]

[/quote]
You, not surprisingly, missed my point to throw in your typical underhanded snark. And honestly, I should ignore the condescending tone you put on your post, bold-facing your comment as if I don't GET IT, and then adding "end of story" up there as if your opinion is the be-all to end-all. But, I'll address your comment anyways.

I'm not defending either person's actions, or taking sides, or even suggesting Brad sue Fremantle. Yes, it is Fremantle's show, and yes, they could very well send Brad a C&D. However, the point I made (which you so conveniently ignored to once again to show how you're so superior to everyone here) is that when you own the show, just use your own clips, if for nothing else, to look professional? Yeah, they could do "whatever the hell they want", but when it comes to making an official website, I'd think they'd like to actually use first-generation clips from their library (possibly in better condition), and not something recorded from a third-tier cable channel. And it's not like any of the games are retired. How hard would it have been to find episodes from the previous season, and possibly even some of the ones Drew already recorded?

Now you see where I'm coming from? Or does that still make me some sort of otaku?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 03:38:21 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

LA the DJ

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2007, 06:56:14 AM »
Worse yet, it was never addressed, but I believe FM made Brad remove the pics she had from Tomarken's Whammy pilot awhile back.

So it comes across as "We're gonna make you remove some of our property, then we're gonna take your work."

Fan-friendly is one thing. Plagiarism is another. While the legality of it all is muddy, it's definitely a tacky, unprofessional move on their part.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

dzinkin

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2007, 07:20:16 AM »
[/quote]
It's always nice to get an opinion from the guy who hates the entire free world.  Too bad that opinion never really changes.

Hey, Jeremy: are you an egghead or an asshole?  Six years and ten months later, we're still waiting.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 07:22:21 AM by dzinkin »