Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your thoughts on DREW, please.  (Read 22156 times)

davemackey

Your thoughts on DREW, please.
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2007, 05:22:00 PM »
Here's what Mark Evanier has to say... I think he makes some cogent observations.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2007, 05:30:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'167542\' date=\'Oct 21 2007, 02:20 PM\']
I thought the thread title was a reference to the fanb0ardz, personally.  The joke was used before, was it not?
[/quote]
Specifically, a reference to Joe Capitano, who was stiffly offended that Tyra Banks might violate the Holy Sanctity Of TPiR by having a sense of humor.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2007, 11:36:17 PM »
Drew gets it, and CBS has found a way to make me interetsed in The Price is Right...even more so because it's a fun experience everyday. As I said in another thread, Go Drew Go!

The Inquisitive One

/I just hope he stays calm in the next taping sessions, now that his hometown baseball team noosed themselves this past week. :)
This is the Way.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2007, 12:32:27 AM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' post=\'167558\' date=\'Oct 21 2007, 08:36 PM\']
/I just hope he stays calm in the next taping sessions, now that his hometown baseball team noosed themselves this past week. :)
[/quote]
When you get paid nine million dollars a year for hosting a game show, I imagine mundane things like your team losing are easier to take.

/'sides, he's used to it
//Harry Doyle approves
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 12:32:40 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

WhammyPower

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2007, 12:49:56 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'167512\' date=\'Oct 21 2007, 12:26 AM\'] I don't really mind the mandatory shout-outs while the wheel is spinning, except for something that Drew has no control over--Mr. Director, when the wheel is about to stop, CUT TO IT. I don't care if Thomas hasn't finished naming his golfing partners yet. [/quote]
Even better, BRING BACK THE SPLIT SCREEN.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2007, 02:24:37 AM »
Do the math and give the guy a break. Say he's learned 30 pricing games, enough to get through a week without repeating. If the episode you're watching was taped on the third taping week, he's only played any given game twice before, in addition to the 29 other games he has to know. Contrast this with any other game show (except LMAD and BTC) where you only have one game to learn.

Check back in 26 weeks and see how he's doing.

The show has far bigger issues in directorville and announcerville than Drewville.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 02:28:33 AM by chris319 »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2007, 07:48:49 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'167559\' date=\'Oct 22 2007, 12:32 AM\']
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' post=\'167558\' date=\'Oct 21 2007, 08:36 PM\']
[/quote]
When you get paid nine million dollars a year for hosting a game show, I imagine mundane things like your team losing are easier to take.

/'sides, he's used to it[/quote]
Guess how many fingers I'm holding up.  Now guess which ones I'm holding up. :-)

Knowing how much of a Cleveland sports fan Drew is, I'm sure he's probably a smidge disappointed in the end result.  Taking a page from Mr. Lemon, Drew's probably wiping any shedded tears with a crisp new $100 bill.

/Go Rockies!

tpirfan28

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2007, 09:37:47 AM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'167560\' date=\'Oct 22 2007, 12:49 AM\']
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'167512\' date=\'Oct 21 2007, 12:26 AM\'] I don't really mind the mandatory shout-outs while the wheel is spinning, except for something that Drew has no control over--Mr. Director, when the wheel is about to stop, CUT TO IT. I don't care if Thomas hasn't finished naming his golfing partners yet. [/quote]
Even better, BRING BACK THE SPLIT SCREEN.
[/quote]
This would be the perfect opportunity to bring it back since Drew is practically begging for you to give a shout-out.

However, this takes directorial skill, which is not evident.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

SteveR

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2007, 09:57:07 AM »
Part of my enjoyment of watching Week 1 is totally self-serving -- it's that feeling of validation when your initial hunch when the announcement was made that Drew would Get It plays itself out on national TV.

I can only echo sentiments that have been already stated -- his weakest points so far surround the result -- the build-up to it and then some bit of congratulations or commiseration for the contestant before throwing it to commercial.

I'm also not sure that his "Variations on a Theme" -- the spay-and-neuter closing -- are working. The one that rang most un-true was when he prefaced it with "Be kind to your pets ...."

Also, he hasn't included his name in his goodbyes. Good? Bad? Not sure. Just noticing that is hasn't been in there.

I guess it was too much to ask that increased interactivity with the models would also mean a return to the two-piece.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 09:59:36 AM by SteveR »

uncamark

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2007, 12:59:01 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'167572\' date=\'Oct 22 2007, 08:57 AM\']
I guess it was too much to ask that increased interactivity with the models would also mean a return to the two-piece.
[/quote]

Give 'em time--we all know that things move glacially at "TPIR."

I only saw Monday's show--is it true that meat grocery products are actually appearing now?  (I assumed that that was one of the things they would be slow on, although they did have the model with the prop sandwich on Monday's show.)

And as far as I'm concerned, despite some nitpicks, I like what I see.  The fun is back at 33 and Drew is smart enough that he will improve.

BrandonFG

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2007, 01:34:26 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'167589\' date=\'Oct 22 2007, 12:59 PM\']
I only saw Monday's show--is it true that meat grocery products are actually appearing now?  (I assumed that that was one of the things they would be slow on, although they did have the model with the prop sandwich on Monday's show.)
[/quote]
And to piggyback on that, I wonder if we'll see more foreign cars again?...

And yes, bring back the split screen during the Showcase Showdown. If they can use it on the Marathon, then by golly, they can use it here. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2007, 02:11:50 PM »
I'm thinking the answer to the meat questions will be answered once the next round of sponsorships are picked up.  I have a feeling that the prize/product pool is moderately limited to allow for quick transition between shows.

I have no problem seeing Ball Park or microwave bacon on the show.

/or in my fridge
//mmmmm, bacon
This signature is currently under construction.

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2007, 05:18:20 PM »
By "split screen," are we referring to the 80s throwback where...

(1) we see a shot of the contestant within a triangular border,

(2) the wheel is on the right side of the shot, static, and...

(3) both the triangle and the needle are pointing at where the wheel is landing?

If so, I'm all for it.

With Drew, there should be more room for flexibility: foreign cars, "Breslow designs," and more stylish wipes and camera shots. Roger should do his part: he's been there since day one, so he could make some of this happen. Drew Carey himself is a new, fresh, enjoyable element of the show. Work around it.

The Inquisitive One

/TV class did this to me; I'm sorry.
//Bring back the super fast zoom out when Drew comes through the doors!
This is the Way.

BrandonFG

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2007, 05:33:00 PM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' post=\'167619\' date=\'Oct 22 2007, 05:18 PM\']
By "split screen," are we referring to the 80s throwback where...

(1) we see a shot of the contestant within a triangular border,

(2) the wheel is on the right side of the shot, static, and...

(3) both the triangle and the needle are pointing at where the wheel is landing?
[/quote]
You are correct, sir.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

mrchips

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2007, 08:43:28 PM »
I, too, think the split shot would be nice. However . . .

Back in those days--i.e. before shout-outs were de rigueur--the contestant in the inset was usually facing the wheel, and the split reinforced that. Present-day spinners tend to face the audience for their shout-outs. Ceteris paribus, the shot of old would have them facing left for most of the spin. Blows the effect.

Maybe reserve it for bonus spins, where shout-outs are rarest.

/And, of course, Bet--er, Drew truly Gets It