Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: your celebrity dream list for password  (Read 11718 times)

BrandonFG

your celebrity dream list for password
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 04:12:19 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'166355\' date=\'Oct 11 2007, 04:06 PM\']
As for who'd win in a Carey vs. Barker match up anyway?  No doubt, I'd still be rooting for and going all-in on Carey, even if I wanted Barker to play in the first place.
[/quote]
You have to get him to play first. This isn't Match Game 76, where he guested as host of a modestly successful daytime game show among about 12-15 other daytime game shows, thus keeping his ego in check.

In recent years, he's proven that he can't stand sharing the spotlight with others, and would be damned to be a celebrity panelist.

ANNOUNCER: The Password is (whoooosh!) greatest...
BOB: Meeee...
CONTESTANT: Horndog?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 04:13:13 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 06:02:51 PM »
A problem I see is that some big celebrities might have done it if it was all in fun, but might not because of the million dollar pressure. Arlene Francis once said that on a panel show, if the celeb screwed up the contestant MADE money, but on something like Pyramid, if the celeb screws up he costs the contestant ten thousand dollars. Imagine that attitude with one hundred times the stakes.

What about making the contestants GIVE the clues - that way it's all on them and they can't blame the celebrity.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 06:20:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'166378\' date=\'Oct 11 2007, 06:02 PM\']What about making the contestants GIVE the clues - that way it's all on them and they can't blame the celebrity.[/quote]
You're kidding, right?  The celebrity could still blow it by not coming up with the correct response, and could even be more humiliated for screwing up when presented with decent clues.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2007, 06:59:22 PM »
Sajak v Carey would probably make a pretty decent pairing.  

There's a fair number of ways they can avoid screwing this up, but I put the odds at about 77:23 they don't bother with that.

And of course, Betty White.

Jay Temple

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 07:13:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'166386\' date=\'Oct 11 2007, 05:20 PM\']
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'166378\' date=\'Oct 11 2007, 06:02 PM\']What about making the contestants GIVE the clues - that way it's all on them and they can't blame the celebrity.[/quote]
You're kidding, right?  The celebrity could still blow it by not coming up with the correct response, and could even be more humiliated for screwing up when presented with decent clues.
[/quote]
The chances of a player winning when the celebrity gives bad clues: 1%
The chances when the celebrity gives an illegal clue: 0%
That alone is why, if there's no choice, I'd prefer the celebrity receive the clues.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 07:31:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'166406\' date=\'Oct 11 2007, 04:13 PM\']
That alone is why, if there's no choice, I'd prefer the celebrity receive the clues.
[/quote]
The very fact that the plusses and minuses of this is being discussed is a fine example of why playing Password for <David Letterman> ONE MILLION DAMN DOLLARS </DL> is a really, REALLY bad idea.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2007, 07:39:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'166406\' date=\'Oct 11 2007, 07:13 PM\']
The chances of a player winning when the celebrity gives bad clues: 1%
The chances when the celebrity gives an illegal clue: 0%
That alone is why, if there's no choice, I'd prefer the celebrity receive the clues.[/quote]
That's fair enough, and I have little doubt that a contestant can have more control by giving clues.   That's still a long, LONG way from "that way it's all on them and they can't blame the celebrity."  Believe me, if you didn't win a million dollars because your dimwit celebrity couldn't come up with the right responses despite your perfect clues, you're going to blame the celebrity.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

toetyper

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
DICK CAVETT

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2007, 10:32:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'166346\' date=\'Oct 11 2007, 12:23 PM\']Having said that, I think you're absolutely looking at the level of celebrity that participates in Dancing With The Stars.  There's no way they'll go the Bob Stewart route and get unheralded supporting actors just because they're good game players.  They're also not going to be able to get current A-listers who have nothing to gain and credibility to lose.  So somewhere in the middle.[/quote]Which makes the whole thought exercise a bit of a waste, doesn't it? I could craft a list as long as my arm of actors and actresses that I'd like to see.

The problem with any such list is that we haven't had Password on the air in going on 20 years. There's no reasonable way to know whether they'd be any good. So why bother?

Which isn't to say that it won't stop some of our membership from trying.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 10:46:32 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'166437\' date=\'Oct 11 2007, 10:32 PM\']
The problem with any such list is that we haven't had Password on the air in going on 20 years. There's no reasonable way to know whether they'd be any good. So why bother?
[/quote]
Looking at Michi-Matt's criteria, I think you could find some decent-level stars who did quite well on Hollywood Squares or Donnymid. Not everyone on those two shows were F-lister seventh bananas, IIRC.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 10:50:14 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'166441\' date=\'Oct 11 2007, 07:46 PM\']
Looking at Michi-Matt's criteria, I think you could find some decent-level stars who did quite well on Hollywood Squares or Donnymid. Not everyone on those two shows were F-lister seventh bananas, IIRC.
[/quote]
One word.

Coolio.

/he'll be available
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

toddyo

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 11:03:17 PM »
Definite yes' on both Betty White and Dick Cavett.

Ok, let's go for broadcast gold. The oldest set of celebrity contestants: Betty White and.....Walter Cronkite or Mike Wallace.

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 11:13:54 PM »
Mike's probably cursing the powers that be for passing him over on the hosting job again.   :^)

-Kevin

TimK2003

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2007, 12:51:06 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'166354\' date=\'Oct 11 2007, 04:04 PM\']
There's a whole bunch of broadway stars that should be on there. Brian Stokes Mitchell comes to mind, as does Roger Bart. Agreed about Stewart/Colbert.
[/quote]

I would *LOVE* to see a Battle of the Bobs -- The Producer vs the Compos....

Oh...I'm sorry, I though we were talking about *Bob* Stewart vs *Bob* Colbert!!! <ducking> :-P

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2007, 01:14:09 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'166467\' date=\'Oct 12 2007, 12:51 AM\']
I would *LOVE* to see a Battle of the Bobs -- The Producer vs the Compos....

Oh...I'm sorry, I though we were talking about *Bob* Stewart vs *Bob* Colbert!!! <ducking> :-P
[/quote]

*shoots tomato-loaded machine gun at Tim*

Jeez, Tim, get the names right if you're gonna make the joke. It's Bob COBERT, not Colbert.

(Nitpicky, yes. But I don't like it when people make jokes that fall flat because they don't know what they're talking about.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022