Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: drew on TPIR  (Read 12096 times)

dzinkin

drew on TPIR
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2007, 01:38:23 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'165521\' date=\'Oct 4 2007, 01:11 PM\']
That pretty much sums up my feelings.  And, as Mr. Howard correctly points out, the times Rich and I have crossed paths at the Congreff, he's been nothing but cordial.  But that generally doesn't sway my opinion about whether or not I like the job someone does.
[/quote]
And I'm not saying that anyone here has to like the job Rich does, or should judge his work based on his personality.  What I am saying is that the level and frequency of the criticism of his performance are way out of proportion to the quality (or lack thereof, as the case may be) of said performance — and that the lack of proportion is based on whom Rich isn't rather than how he's doing.

LA the DJ

drew on TPIR
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2007, 02:03:00 PM »
So rereading everything, I may have gone a little far in Rich-bashing, so I shall retract slightly by actually giving the guy a compliment.
I've done radio, I've done voiceovers, I've worked with my voice for over ten years. Could I do that job? No way.
I've read some TPiR copy aloud and it's not as easy as it seems. The "Come on Down", "You're going to play Plinko", and even the ticket plug are cake, especially to a guy like me who's watched the show since he was 4.
Prize copy is a whole other thing. It's not easy to say all that and do it in one take, as is required at Price. What some people don't realize is that for every 30 second commercial you hear on the radio, it usually took a few tries to make it sound right.
That being said, I have to respect anyone who can do the Price gig. So I'll give Rich credit for doing it day in and day out, it can't be easy.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

opimus

drew on TPIR
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2007, 03:31:45 PM »
In today's Chicago Sun Times Talkback section some one was complaining that he doesn't want Drew's "weird humor"  on the show.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 03:34:46 PM by opimus »

RichZ

drew on TPIR
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2007, 04:35:09 PM »
Whether or not Rich would have made a good host aside, I'm surprised he didn't even get an audition.  How many people did they have audition for that job before Drew was hired?  Seems like the powers that be could have thrown him a courtesy audition as a bone, but chose not to.  Interesting.

-Rick Z

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
drew on TPIR
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2007, 04:38:23 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'165526\' date=\'Oct 4 2007, 10:38 AM\']
What I am saying is that the level and frequency of the criticism of his performance are way out of proportion to the quality (or lack thereof, as the case may be) of said performance — and that the lack of proportion is based on whom Rich isn't rather than how he's doing.
[/quote]
You're painting with a very broad brush here. There are quite a few of us (and some of us VERY qualified to do so) who simply think Rich is a poor announcer. I'm quite sure he's a peach of a guy personally, and if I ever met him I would shake his hand and I'm sure we would have a grand old time, but that's not going to change my opinion that he is bad at his job.

/do I think he's as bad as Burton? God, nooooooooooooo
//ooooooooooooooooooooooo
///ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 04:39:16 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dzinkin

drew on TPIR
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2007, 04:45:05 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'165546\' date=\'Oct 4 2007, 04:38 PM\']
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'165526\' date=\'Oct 4 2007, 10:38 AM\']
What I am saying is that the level and frequency of the criticism of his performance are way out of proportion to the quality (or lack thereof, as the case may be) of said performance — and that the lack of proportion is based on whom Rich isn't rather than how he's doing.
[/quote]
You're painting with a very broad brush here. There are quite a few of us (and some of us VERY qualified to do so) who simply think Rich is a poor announcer.
[/quote]
And again, no one's saying that you're not entitled to that opinion or qualified to come to it.  If Randy hadn't been in competition for the job, I've no doubt that a significant number of the people who think that Rich sucks would still think that he sucks.  But I'm just as convinced that at least some wouldn't, and I'm even more convinced that the slams wouldn't be anywhere near as constant and unrelenting.

tvwxman

drew on TPIR
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2007, 04:54:19 PM »
Just an observation here... It seems like we constantly get into major pissing contests over issues involving TPIR. Eventually a Loyal FanBo1Z and True wanders over here, makes some asinine comment on how the world will end because Rich Fields wasn't made a co-host, or how Bob should have been made Mayor of Television City when he retired, and ends up getting the rest of the roost in a rumble.

And, For the Record, I think Rich is a nice guy, but a lousy announcer. The reason I don't care for him is because he grates on my nerves when he's a blatant asskisser ("Mr. Barker this, Mr. Barker that, Mr. Barker please don't walk away because my lips are superglued to your buttcheek"). But to be fair, if I was the weatherman who got the job, I'd probably buy stock in superglue too.

Also for the record, I think Burton is/was better on Price than Rich. I also think Burton pukes a bit on Feud, yet on PIR94, he was fine.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 04:54:52 PM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

dzinkin

drew on TPIR
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2007, 04:58:29 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'165548\' date=\'Oct 4 2007, 04:54 PM\']
Eventually a Loyal FanBo1Z and True wanders over here, makes some asinine comment on how the world will end because Rich Fields wasn't made a co-host, or how Bob should have been made Mayor of Television City when he retired, and ends up getting the rest of the roost in a rumble.
[/quote]
I'm not going to defend that either; obviously one can overdo things in the other direction too.

I do often wonder if I'm the only one who thinks that Rich Fields is neither G-d's gift to announcing nor a schmuck who should be thrown in a padded cell.

Steve Gavazzi

drew on TPIR
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2007, 05:42:38 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'165549\' date=\'Oct 4 2007, 04:58 PM\']
I do often wonder if I'm the only one who thinks that Rich Fields is neither G-d's gift to announcing nor a schmuck who should be thrown in a padded cell.
[/quote]

No.

And to comment on something else that was said waaaaaaaay back up the thread, I've heard from people who were at the auditions that Todd Newton and John O'Hurley were both, to put it nicely, less than impressive.

beatlefreak84

drew on TPIR
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2007, 05:46:39 PM »

Trust me, you're not; I share the same opinion that you do.  I've definitely heard many better announcers (I grew up hearing, and loving, Rod Roddy as TPIR announcer), but I think Rich does his job as competently as possible.  I don't get goosebumps or get really excited to have Rich as the announcer, but I also know that, not only could they have done a lot worse (see:  Rosen, Daniel), but announcing for such a high-energy game show like TPIR is a very difficult job and not one that many can do.  Sure; I do chuckle whenever a new CAAAAAAAAH is offered as a prize, but I think he does as good a job as he can, and it's certainly satisfactory to me.  I certainly never entertained the thought of boycotting TPIR just because the guy I wanted didn't get the announcing job (sorry, Randy; I was rooting for you!).

/can we reserve that padded cell for Patrick "You WIIIIIIINNNNNNN" Wayne?
//or Jim "Flashing Red Box" Caldwell?  :)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

DrJWJustice

drew on TPIR
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2007, 06:12:07 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'165547\' date=\'Oct 4 2007, 03:45 PM\']
(major snipping of thread by Doc)

And again, no one's saying that you're not entitled to that opinion or qualified to come to it.  If Randy hadn't been in competition for the job, I've no doubt that a significant number of the people who think that Rich sucks would still think that he sucks.  But I'm just as convinced that at least some wouldn't, and I'm even more convinced that the slams wouldn't be anywhere near as constant and unrelenting.
[/quote]

I'm not going to take sides on this particular thread, other than to say that the vitriol I've been reading over the past several minutes is something that I didn't miss one damn bit during my hiatus.  Then again, the other boards are that much worse.

For what it's worth, the dynamic between host and announcer should be quite a bit different with Drew coming on board.  That's stating the obvious, I think, but I'm waiting to see what happens before I finally show my hand on my opinion of Rich.

TheLastResort

drew on TPIR
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2007, 06:36:07 PM »
Wow, sorry to open up a can of worms, but I'm glad this is being discussed.  David, thanks for your earlier reply!

Randy is a great guy and certainly qualified, but I must admit I was never a big fan of his announcing style.   Rich seems like a better fit for a high energy show like TPIR, and his warm-ups are quite funny IMO.  Whether or not he could host the show is another story.  I think CBS was smart to go with a big name.

ITSBRY

drew on TPIR
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2007, 10:30:22 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'165465\' date=\'Oct 3 2007, 08:46 PM\']
Rich isn't even good at his OWN job. Why the HELL would he be any better as host?
[/quote]

Amen to that! I still cannot believe that Randy didn't get this gig. He has the energy, the voice and a proven track record. Nobody could have been more perfect.

Having heard his Johnny O and Rod Roddy impressions in person (it's spooky, it really is)...I can't help but think they would have hand picked him as their successor if they could have.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 10:32:09 PM by ITSBRY »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
drew on TPIR
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2007, 12:16:56 AM »
[quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'165473\' date=\'Oct 3 2007, 08:01 PM\']so by travis's, theory if drew  has a lousy first month YANK HIM?  [/quote] No, and I resent emphatically that you're putting words in my mouth. I said what I said, and I meant it.

If you were to look at my body of work, I have been glowing with praise for Drew regarding his work on Power of 10. I see no reason that his talent will not carry over to TPIR. But I'm going to wait until the show actually airs until I judge.

lets get real  freemantle and cbs will not yet TPIR die; what im afraid of is a itchy trigger finger

ooh, its november; ratings are down 10% lets put in newton

ooh.; its may > ratings are still down: lets put in someone else

i dont wanna see that
This is total silliness. If Drew has a contract through the end of the year, the only way your scenario happens is if he gets bought out.

[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'165500\' date=\'Oct 4 2007, 03:30 AM\']when in fact several of us have gone on the record to the contrary, and publicly expressing a desire to "lock him up in a padded cell"?  [/quote]

Is anyone going to be thrown out for preferring Randy over Rich?  Absolutely not.  Does that make the constant, unrelenting hatred against Rich any less disgusting?  Absolutely not.
Come on; you know me better than that. Do you really think I'm going to wake up tomorrow, sharpen my pitchfork, pour gasoline on my torch and point my car to California with nary a care in the world?

Of course not. I was using hyperbole to make my point. (Are we still allowed to liven up the proceedings by having fun with the English language?)

I am not without bias. I cast my vote, and 99 more. My candidate didn't win. I've listened to my pick, and the eventual winner. My preference is for my choice. Rich's voice is grating to me; he tips the car reveal before the doors open, and he yells his lines.

I've watched many an hour of game shows in my formative years. I think I have a good idea of what the "right" announcer should sound like. Rich does not jibe with my perceptions. If this is going to become "GSF: Olde England," where we tip our hats and call each other "sir" and "ma'am," then that's fine. But I don't think I should have to couch "I think Rich is completely awful" just because there are some people who can't handle it.
Travis L. Eberle

dzinkin

drew on TPIR
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2007, 06:27:40 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'165595\' date=\'Oct 5 2007, 12:16 AM\']
Come on; you know me better than that. Do you really think I'm going to wake up tomorrow, sharpen my pitchfork, pour gasoline on my torch and point my car to California with nary a care in the world?

Of course not. I was using hyperbole to make my point. (Are we still allowed to liven up the proceedings by having fun with the English language?)
[/quote]
Just as I did not tell Chris that he wasn't qualified to judge Rich's announcing skills, and just as I did not tell Matt that it was perfectly okay to go too far in the other direction, I am not telling you that you're not allowed to use hyperbole.  I'm saying — again — that it's a matter of degree and frequency, and that both are as high as they are because of whom Rich isn't rather than what he does.  Would there still be critics if Rich had won out over only, say, Haywood Jablowmi and Owata Nassiam?  I'm sure of it.  But the constant drumbeat, day in and day out, in thread after thread?  No, absolutely not.

The fact is that no one's going to be thrown into the Isolation Booth for criticizing Rich, even in the manner that's been going on since it was announced that he was the final choice.  But when Mark Odor, or anyone else, makes the claim that oh no, it's all about his announcing and has nothing to do with who else was going for the job, I'm going to continue to call that claim what it is — absolute BS.