Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: drew on TPIR  (Read 12097 times)

ChuckNet

drew on TPIR
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 12:00:12 AM »
I think the job should've gone to Todd Newton, w/Brooke Burke as the new head model...failing that, it should've gone to the extremely talented Pat O'Brien. :-D

Chuck Donegan (The Treading-Dangerous-Ground "Chuckie Baby")

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
drew on TPIR
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 12:22:46 AM »
[quote name=\'toddyo\' post=\'165484\' date=\'Oct 3 2007, 08:53 PM\']
Burton do a great job
[/quote]
You're going to make me puke. Which, when you think about it, is very appropriate.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

drew on TPIR
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 01:01:33 AM »
Oh, how I miss the days when announcers had "pipes".
There's still a few, but they're more the exception than the rule.

Steve McClellan

drew on TPIR
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2007, 01:23:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Oct 3 2007, 10:01 PM\'] Oh, how I miss the days when announcers had "pipes".
There's still a few, but they're more the exception than the rule. [/quote]
Could you possibly be insinuating that Rolonda Watts doesn't have pipes?

I don't bash Rich Fields much on here, but his voice grates on me so badly that it makes me want to reach for the remote. His "a new car!" sounds like someone is strangling a crow. I watch the show far less now than I used to, and Rich Fields' screaming is the primary reason. I didn't think Burton Richardson was great when he did TPIR, but I'd take him over Fields any day.

LA the DJ

drew on TPIR
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2007, 04:00:38 AM »
One of the things that made me happy when Drew got the job was the fact that it seems the name "Drew Carey" will be a lot harder to gratingly scream than "Bob Barker".

Then again, he could prove me wrong.

Rich should be happy though. Drew has a much larger posterior, and therefore, a better target for his lips.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

dzinkin

drew on TPIR
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007, 06:30:14 AM »
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'165482\' date=\'Oct 3 2007, 11:48 PM\']
Geez, what's with all the Rich bashing?  Are you just biased because Randy happens to posts here?
[/quote]
In fact, that is a key reason for much, probably most — though certainly not all — of it, and Mark's denial of the obvious is laughable.

Can the case be made that Rich isn't as good as Rod Roddy or Johnny Olson?  While it's not one with which I happen to agree, certainly the answer is yes, and in any event everyone's entitled to his or her own opinion around here.  However, as you've correctly noted, we've seen far worse, and yet Rich gets bashed far out of proportion to whatever faults he may have.

Insulting him in thread after thread after thread, calling him a "schmuck" (and worse) over and over again, saying he has "no supporters" when in fact several of us have gone on the record to the contrary, and publicly expressing a desire to "lock him up in a padded cell"?  And on top of those and all the other insults, ridiculing those who try to defend him (not me, though I'm sure that if I weren't a mod I'd be targeted too)?  Sorry, that's not just criticism of "a lousy announcer," that's abject hatred, and any honest assessment would indicate that refusing to forgive CBS for not hiring Randy is a key factor — though the hatred has now become so ingrained and so routine that most of the bashers probably don't even realize it themselves by now.

Is anyone going to be thrown out for preferring Randy over Rich?  Absolutely not.  Does that make the constant, unrelenting hatred against Rich any less disgusting?  Absolutely not.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 06:37:35 AM by dzinkin »

Don Howard

drew on TPIR
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007, 09:44:16 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'165500\' date=\'Oct 4 2007, 06:30 AM\']
Does that make the constant, unrelenting hatred against Rich any less disgusting?  Absolutely not.
[/quote]
I don't hate the man. He was very polite to me and my wife at the '06 Congrefs. So I personally have no problem with him. Professionally, though, hearing how Rich has done in the three years he's had the gig and realizing that he's not improved but gotten worse to my ear in that span has me wondering why he still has the job when I'm sure TPiR can do better. Yes, I'd much rather someone with pipes like Charlie Tuna was the program's announcer, but if that's not the sound the company is after, so be it.

dzinkin

drew on TPIR
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2007, 10:49:47 AM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'165462\' date=\'Oct 3 2007, 08:22 PM\']
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'165459\' date=\'Oct 3 2007, 06:54 PM\']
You think they're idiots?  There are people on other boards who have been calling for Drew's head from before day one -- in fact, from the moment his name was announced.
[/quote]
We're talking Play for a Billion-era, right? ;)
[/quote]
I lol'd. :-)  I actually was thinking of the guy on the GSN board who declared right off the bat that he wasn't going to watch because Drew uses filthy language when doing standup, so obviously he'll use it on air.  The fact that Drew knows he's playing to a different audience, and the fact that CBS would edit any obscenities out in the unlikely event that Drew did use them, wouldn't sway the poster in question.

EDIT: Ah, here's the post.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 10:52:04 AM by dzinkin »

TimK2003

drew on TPIR
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2007, 11:01:53 AM »
I, likewise show no bias for either Rich or Randy.  

Both Randy & Rich have been inspired by Johnny Olson in their formidable years, and their proof is well-documented.  Randy had many years working in radio -- many of which were on high-energy top-40 stations.  Yes, Rich also served in radio, and I did hear him once on a high-engery station while vacationing in California 10 years ago, but his high-energy delivery on radio was much better then than his approach sounds today on TPIR.  

Could it be the fact that he is finally living his dream, and that the audience fuels the fire for his over-the-top delivery?  Perhaps.  But the real announcing veterans can overcome that obstacle.  And hearing Randy on various shows over the years, he "gets it" and adapts well to any situation.  Rich doesn't.

Would Rich make a great announcer for another show?  Absolutely! But there are some announcers, that are not a fit for *every* game show out there.  And honestly, I don't see Rich as being a fit on TPIR like Johnny and Rod were.

tpirfan28

drew on TPIR
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2007, 12:15:11 PM »
[quote name=\'toddyo\' post=\'165484\' date=\'Oct 3 2007, 11:53 PM\']
Wait, no bias here. Being a weatherman qualified him to do announcing on TPIR???
[/quote]
No...but being a weatherman could be the key to landing a hosting job....(ducks)

I'll be honest...I was a Rich supporter when the only name in the field was Dave Price (bigger yutz than Rich)...once someone else came in (I forget who it was now), out went Rich.

Rich Fields > Dave Price.

...but then Rich Fields can't hold a candle to...oh....I donno....Mark deCarlo as the donkey from that pilot a while back.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
drew on TPIR
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2007, 12:17:47 PM »
I don't know Rich personally, and I'm sure he's a really great person all around.  I didn't say what I did because of his personality, but because of his energy level.  He's WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY over the top most of the time and it makes me NOT want to watch TPIR most days.  Maybe he just clashed with Bob's down-to-Earth, low-key style of hosting.  The other announcers (yes, even Burton Richardson) seemed (IMHO) to fit in with Bob's style of hosting the show.   It'll be interesting to see how Rich will fit in with the style of hosting Drew will bring to the show.  It might work out for the better--we'll see in 11 days!
--Matt

uncamark

drew on TPIR
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2007, 12:47:11 PM »
I don't have the hostility towards Rich, but on the other hand I don't particularly love him.  He seems to me to be nothing more than competent.  He isn't Johnny O, but who is?  A bad announcer's not going to turn me away from a show as much as a bad host, and a bad format or bad execution is much worse than a bad announcer in the scale of things.

TonicBH

drew on TPIR
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2007, 12:57:59 PM »
I've heard worse announcers on Price than Rich. He's tolerable, but somebody needs to seriously coach him on how announcing works and how shouting doesn't quite convey emotion well.

//its anewcaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

tvwxman

drew on TPIR
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2007, 01:10:04 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'165506\' date=\'Oct 4 2007, 12:15 PM\']
[quote name=\'toddyo\' post=\'165484\' date=\'Oct 3 2007, 11:53 PM\']
Wait, no bias here. Being a weatherman qualified him to do announcing on TPIR???
[/quote]
No...but being a weatherman could be the key to landing a hosting job....(ducks)
[/quote]
Bite yer tongue.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
drew on TPIR
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2007, 01:11:02 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'165511\' date=\'Oct 4 2007, 11:47 AM\']
I don't have the hostility towards Rich, but on the other hand I don't particularly love him.  He seems to me to be nothing more than competent.  He isn't Johnny O, but who is?  A bad announcer's not going to turn me away from a show as much as a bad host, and a bad format or bad execution is much worse than a bad announcer in the scale of things.
[/quote]
That pretty much sums up my feelings.  And, as Mr. Howard correctly points out, the times Rich and I have crossed paths at the Congreff, he's been nothing but cordial.  But that generally doesn't sway my opinion about whether or not I like the job someone does.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 01:12:52 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)