Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wizard Of Odds theme & Alan Thicke music  (Read 2899 times)

MisterX

Wizard Of Odds theme & Alan Thicke music
« on: October 03, 2007, 05:48:16 PM »
Hi everyone! I have a few of questions to ask. I appreciate your help, those who are willing to answer these questions.

1. How was the WOO theme song edited together? What were the editing points, and were there names to each piece? I was wondering about that for some time, after looking at this list from the TV Production Museum (and strangely, the WOO music is listed under Stan Worth).

2. Where did the Alan Thicke music come from? I read somewhere that Thicke released an LP of TV themes. What tracks were on the LP, assuming there was an LP made?

And a bonus question. Before I created this topic, I consulted David Zinkin about posting this topic. He mentioned that there were other people, other than Jake Tanner, who helped find music for the two game show CDs. He mentioned that some of these other people are members of this forum. Who are you, these other members, who contributed to the CDs? How did you find these themes?

dzinkin

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 06:02:08 PM »
[quote name=\'MisterX\' post=\'165449\' date=\'Oct 3 2007, 05:48 PM\']
He mentioned that there were other people, other than Jake Tanner, who helped find music for the two game show CDs. He mentioned that some of these other people are members of this forum. Who are you, these other members, who contributed to the CDs? How did you find these themes?
[/quote]
For the record, I didn't say specifically that there were other people here who helped find the music, although there may have been.  I said that there were other people who contributed to the CDs, particularly the second one -- in fact, if memory serves (I don't have my CDs in front of me), you'll find some of their names in the liner notes for the second one.  If any of them did help find the music, I'm sure they'll be happy to impart whatever knowledge they may have.

davemackey

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 06:34:56 PM »
1. How was the WOO theme song edited together? What were the editing points, and were there names to each piece? I was wondering about that for some time, after looking at this list from the TV Production Museum (and strangely, the WOO music is listed under Stan Worth).
[/quote]
Said list also lists a lot of Sheldon Allman's LMAD cues under Stan Worth. So take it with a grain.

The working relationship that Stan Worth and Alan Thicke had in the 70s was very close. Alan wrote a lot of the themes that wound up being credited on-air to Stan, things like "Wheel of Fortune", "Blank Check", etc.

uncamark

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 12:53:21 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'165453\' date=\'Oct 3 2007, 05:34 PM\']
[/quote]
Said list also lists a lot of Sheldon Allman's LMAD cues under Stan Worth. So take it with a grain.

The working relationship that Stan Worth and Alan Thicke had in the 70s was very close. Alan wrote a lot of the themes that wound up being credited on-air to Stan, things like "Wheel of Fortune", "Blank Check", etc.
[/quote]

And Sheldon also worked with Worth quite a bit--he's credited as a co-writer of the immortal "George of the Jungle" theme for Jay Ward and I believe he and Worth wrote the themes for "Hoppity Hooper" (or the show Jay Ward did in between "Bullwinkle" and "George").

Ian Wallis

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 05:33:39 PM »
While I don't have that LP, I'm aware of it.  I know that it includes Blank Check, Joker's Wild (1974-78), Celebrity Sweepstakes (1975), Wheel of Fortune (1975-83) and a few other cues that were used as prize music on various shows.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 11:27:32 PM »
Now that the entire package has been posted at the TV Production Music Museum, there is an answer to OP's question:

The theme was comprised of 5 pieces (in this order):

*Main vocal (the part with Alan Thicke singing the words).
*Main instrumental (instrumental version of above).
*Ticket plug.
*Keystone Kops (silly-sounding, very fast, with piano lead).
*Love (slow, Motown-like groove with female "sha-la-la" throughout).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 11:28:27 PM by DoorNumberFour »
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

uncamark

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 04:07:45 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'176713\' date=\'Jan 30 2008, 10:27 PM\']
Now that the entire package has been posted at the TV Production Music Museum, there is an answer to OP's question:

The theme was comprised of 5 pieces (in this order):

*Main vocal (the part with Alan Thicke singing the words).
*Main instrumental (instrumental version of above).
*Ticket plug.
*Keystone Kops (silly-sounding, very fast, with piano lead).
*Love (slow, Motown-like groove with female "sha-la-la" throughout).
[/quote]

Seems to me that the cue that accompanied the spin of the end game wheel and the Wizard's Keno board later in the run was also a Thicke original.

Some of the prize cues were stock music, as well as the cue that accompanied the tossup puzzles that became prevalent when the show pretty much went near the end to a tossup puzzle/small version of end game/repeat/repeat/spin wheel/end game format.

davemackey

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 05:18:51 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'176778\' date=\'Jan 31 2008, 04:07 PM\']
Some of the prize cues were stock music, as well as the cue that accompanied the tossup puzzles that became prevalent when the show pretty much went near the end to a tossup puzzle/small version of end game/repeat/repeat/spin wheel/end game format.
[/quote]
The suspense cue used in some games later showed up in a commerical for Tri-Ominos.