Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dick DeBartolo is selling Match Game Questions  (Read 19325 times)

Eric Paddon

Dick DeBartolo is selling Match Game Questions
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2007, 09:17:21 PM »
Those who get lucky and get 70s questions might someday be enterprising enough to see if we can find out what answers were actually given to their question. :)

KrisW73

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2007, 10:26:09 PM »
(all 60's era MG)

Question 1: Hand numbered on the front 23,767

Complete this sentence with one or more words:

Mary said to John:  “There’s a pretty girl at the door.  She says she’s your ________.”

On the back of the card -dated 4-2-69 - Sales, Lawrence

Question 2:  Practical Joker Joe said:  “I just finished wiring my best joke yet.  If you sit on my ________ it plays the National Anthem”
(possible answers typed in are john, lap, sofa, bed)

Question 3:  Mary said:  “John, no matter when I see you, you look ________”

(handwritten emphasis by underlining the word see- this card was signed by Mr. DeBartolo)

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2007, 09:42:17 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'166113\' date=\'Oct 9 2007, 06:35 PM\']I might be going mad, but is that where everyone answered the word "pickle" to each question Gene asked? Actually, I really want to know, I only have a vague recollection of someone telling me that.[/quote]I have a bit more recollection, but just a bit.
I don't recall the exact wording of the question, but I believe the panel's answers referred to "Mary" craving pickles, implying that she was "expecting."
Gene was astonished when the female celeb's team all responded "pickle," and he jokingly threatened to walk out if the first contestant on the other team (celeb: Bill Cullen, I think) had written "pickle." The contestant had done so, so Gene walked out, and Johnny Olson moved behind the host's desk.  When the next contestant showed the same response, Johnny walked out, and Dick De himself was left to host the show.  Dick said that if (Bill?) wrote "pickle," the audience member selected as the day's phone game contestant would host the rest of the show.  Sure enough, (Bill?) did, but that was the end of the gag; Gene and Johnny came back on stage, and play continued.
After almost forty years, the memories of a preteen start to run together; Dick, was that also the episode where the largest phone game jackpot ($3,000) was won?
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

Luxo1

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2007, 12:54:43 AM »
Oh, what the heck.....I just ordered three sets!

I was a Match Game Fan, and love Dick's work in Mad magazine. I can't remember if he ever did any illustrations for Mad. I'm giving one set to my 15 year old niece for her birthday --- I don't know if she will have any clue what it is -- but I'm going to tell her to save it for her ripe old age and that it will be a collectors item and worth a lot of money.....(I hope)!

MatchGameWriter

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2007, 01:50:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Esoteric Eric\' post=\'166287\' date=\'Oct 11 2007, 09:42 AM\']
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'166113\' date=\'Oct 9 2007, 06:35 PM\']I might be going mad, but is that where everyone answered the word "pickle" to each question Gene asked? Actually, I really want to know, I only have a vague recollection of someone telling me that.[/quote]I have a bit more recollection, but just a bit.
I don't recall the exact wording of the question, but I believe the panel's answers referred to "Mary" craving pickles, implying that she was "expecting."
Gene was astonished when the female celeb's team all responded "pickle," and he jokingly threatened to walk out if the first contestant on the other team (celeb: Bill Cullen, I think) had written "pickle." The contestant had done so, so Gene walked out, and Johnny Olson moved behind the host's desk.  When the next contestant showed the same response, Johnny walked out, and Dick De himself was left to host the show.  Dick said that if (Bill?) wrote "pickle," the audience member selected as the day's phone game contestant would host the rest of the show.  Sure enough, (Bill?) did, but that was the end of the gag; Gene and Johnny came back on stage, and play continued.
After almost forty years, the memories of a preteen start to run together; Dick, was that also the episode where the largest phone game jackpot ($3,000) was won?
[/quote]

E Eric:  That's so close, I'll declare you the winner! Here's the story. I'll start with the what happened just before the show. The two celebrities and the four contestants were standing backstage waiting for the tape to roll and the show to begin.  One of the celebrities was Bill Cullen who was a great practical joker. He said to everyone backstage: "How about this for a laugh --- no matter what the first question is --- we all answer pickle." Everyone agreed.  Bill told me later that he emphasized unless everyone kept their word and said 'pickle', it would be a disaster.  Everyone promised, and as you know, everyone did say pickle. And you got most of the rest of the story correct. At one point Rayburn said if the next contestant answers "pickle" I'm walking off the stage. They did and he did. Johnny Olson took over said the same thing --- if the next contestant says "pickle" I'm leaving. They did and Johnny left."  So I jumped up and took over. I do remember saying at some point: "I never wanted to write these questions -- I really wanted to host this show and it has finally happened!!!" The last person answered pickle and we went to commercial. Coming back from the commercial Bill Cullen explained his scheme.  It was great!!!  E. Eric, email with your full name and address and I'll send you your prize.  dick@gizwiz.biz   And thanks to you folks who wrote me about receiving the questions. I have so many heart felt emails about what it means to own a part of the Match Game. It's wonderful!  ___________, everybody.    Dick De

whoww

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2007, 01:49:48 PM »
Hi there,
I was so pleased to find your comments about Dick DeBartolo. Here's how I first met Dick. And the introduction will never be forgotten. At the time I was a page at NBC-TV and about to get my first production job. After an interview with Dan Enright at Barry & Enright I was hired to be come the contestant PA and assumed the  code name of Leslie York. On my first day on the job they brought me into the office and while sitting at my desk they intorduced me to Dick as a co-worker. Dick immediately went into a routine that I later learned he performed for all new B*E employees.  He sat down to demonstrate the typerwriter and got his tie caught in the roller, knocked stuff off the desk, got up and put his foot in the waste paper basket and added a numebr of incredible hilarious  bits while others were peeking throught the door. Dick was a  great guy and so VERY TALENTED.
All the best,

Ronnie Greenberg

MatchGameWriter

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2007, 07:08:07 PM »
[quote name=\'whoww\' post=\'167974\' date=\'Oct 26 2007, 01:49 PM\']
Hi there,
I was so pleased to find your comments about Dick DeBartolo. Here's how I first met Dick. And the introduction will never be forgotten. At the time I was a page at NBC-TV and about to get my first production job. After an interview with Dan Enright at Barry & Enright I was hired to be come the contestant PA and assumed the  code name of Leslie York. On my first day on the job they brought me into the office and while sitting at my desk they intorduced me to Dick as a co-worker. Dick immediately went into a routine that I later learned he performed for all new B*E employees.  He sat down to demonstrate the typerwriter and got his tie caught in the roller, knocked stuff off the desk, got up and put his foot in the waste paper basket and added a numebr of incredible hilarious  bits while others were peeking throught the door. Dick was a  great guy and so VERY TALENTED.
All the best,

Ronnie Greenberg
[/quote]

Wow, that goes back a LONG, LONG, WAY.  Thanks for the kind words Ronnie! I had forgotten that routine. I had another one for new folks hired to find occupations for What's My Line. Before they were introduced to me as a fellow employee, I would fill out the form to apply as a contestant. I would put down a very unlikely occupation like "tightwire walker".  Then I would pretty much do the same thing. Fall off the chair during the interview, trip across the door jamb when I entered the person's office, etc., etc. Fortunately everyone didn't mind the joke once we were introduced!  Ronnie, are you still in the biz?"
Dick De

whoww

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2007, 11:07:08 PM »
[quote name=\'MatchGameWriter\' post=\'167993\' date=\'Oct 26 2007, 04:08 PM\']
[quote name=\'whoww\' post=\'167974\' date=\'Oct 26 2007, 01:49 PM\']
Hi there,
All the best,

Ronnie Greenberg
[/quote]

Wow, that goes back a LONG, LONG, WAY.  Thanks for the kind words Ronnie! I had forgotten that routine. I had another one for new folks hired to find occupations for What's My Line. Before they were introduced to me as a fellow employee, I would fill out the form to apply as a contestant. I would put down a very unlikely occupation like "tightwire walker".  Then I would pretty much do the same thing. Fall off the chair during the interview, trip across the door jamb when I entered the person's office, etc., etc. Fortunately everyone didn't mind the joke once we were introduced!  Ronnie, are you still in the biz?"
Dick De
[/quote]
Hi Dick,

I t was wonderful hearing from you. Believe it or not I'm really retired  but with a small "r". My partner from years ago, Don Lipp, and I keep coming up with stuff and hopefully will have a few surprises in the near future. I guess you never turn off the creative juices. It keeps us busy. I have your book "Good Days and MAD which is absolutely wonderful. I remember Arnie Kogen and Frank Jacobs writing  Letters on Let's Play Post Office .
Warmest Regards,
Ronnie G.

geno57

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2008, 03:24:31 PM »
For those who still might be interested ... DickDe only has, at the time of this writing, 11 sets of questions left.  Very little time left to grab your piece of MG history!

trainman

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2008, 11:04:21 PM »
Which reminds me that I forgot to post a follow-up to this thread:  my father loved his Christmas present.  He remembers the '60s "Match Game" very well (not to mention the '60s MAD Magazine).
trainman is a man of trains

WhammyPower

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2008, 09:37:11 AM »
Bump to let you guys know he found another box of questions.  If you didn't buy one before, now's your chance!

http://www.gizwizbiz.com/tvshows/thematchgame.html
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 09:38:25 AM by WhammyPower »

Tim L

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2008, 12:24:06 PM »
Just realizing this thread was LAST YEAR..and wondering how I missed it till now..I want to get one of those question packages if I can swing it..While MG 60's wasnt known for being racy or questionable, it could still be darn funny!

geno57

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2008, 01:17:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Tim L\' post=\'200244\' date=\'Oct 22 2008, 11:24 AM\']
Just realizing this thread was LAST YEAR..and wondering how I missed it till now..I want to get one of those question packages if I can swing it..While MG 60's wasnt known for being racy or questionable, it could still be darn funny!
[/quote]

I bought two of the question packs when DickDe first offered them, and I'm delighted!  MG6x was my absolute favorite when I was a kid.  To think, Gene held some of these cards in his hot little hands!  (The 70s cards were kept in an index file, as I understand it, and were not actually used on the set.)

I wonder if DickDe has any of the MG7x questions, stashed away somewhere?  With their unique logo design, they would be something to cherish, too!

WhammyPower

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2008, 02:03:14 PM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' post=\'200248\' date=\'Oct 22 2008, 12:17 PM\'] I wonder if DickDe has any of the MG7x questions, stashed away somewhere?  With their unique logo design, they would be something to cherish, too!
 [/quote]
Some of his questions are MG7x questions, just not in the on-stage form.

/I got one of those in my packet.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 02:04:10 PM by WhammyPower »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2008, 01:18:40 PM »
I ordered a second batch of questions on Wednesday night and they arrived a few minutes ago.  Here's what I got, all on yellow 3x5 cards...

"Tony said: 'I finally made up my mind.  I'm going to _____ my secretary!'"  Three possible answers are given below--marry, fire, and have an affair with

"You've heard of a girl jumping out of a cake?  Well, Tiny Thelma is so small, she can jump out of a _____." with pie, cupcake, crumb bun, and cookie as possible answers.

"The doctor told Nutty Nat he was run down....so Nutty Nat put his _____ in the light socket to charge up."  No possible answers given.

Thanks again to Dick DeBartolo for making these available, as well as the signed MAD Magazines.  Having a signed copy of MAD is worth the cost, as I've been a fan of MAD for almost a quarter century.