Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dick DeBartolo is selling Match Game Questions  (Read 19343 times)

trainman

Dick DeBartolo is selling Match Game Questions
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 10:36:09 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'165681\' date=\'Oct 5 2007, 09:48 PM\']Hugh Downs and Jayne Meadows.  Source.[/quote]

Yes, "Downs" is what it actually says.  Thank you.

(The question cards I got are going to be a gift for someone who doesn't read this board, fortunately, so it'll be nice to have all the pertinent information.)
trainman is a man of trains

Mike Tennant

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 04:09:46 PM »
So, MatchGameWriter, are you gratified to see how much pleasure this is giving us all?

MatchGameWriter

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 11:20:32 PM »
[quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' post=\'165120\' date=\'Sep 30 2007, 05:02 AM\']
Having been accused of having a good memory, I remember how once, Gene Rayburn had a question about one of Mr. DeBartolo's questions, and DeBartolo actually came out, did a quick, sweeping wave to the camera, leaned back to confer sotto voce with Rayburn (who was standing behind a counter), then waved at the camera again before ducking out.

What a shame virtually all of the NBC "Match Game" episodes were destroyed.
[/quote]

I really am amazed at how much you folks remember! Yes, I sat a few feet from Gene Rayburn and pushed questions through a slide built in the desk. The sound effects guy would watch on a monitor and make sounds so it seemed like a machine was delivery the questions to Gene. Some of the questions that were pushed through that slot are among I'm selling. I'm quite moved that people enjoy owning them. I only wish I had taken tons of them when Goodson closed the NY office. I don't want this to be an ad so I won't post anymore details here. Thanks for keeping The Match Game alive.
Dick De
Dick DeBartolo
Match Game Writer

BrandonFG

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 11:22:23 PM »
[quote name=\'MatchGameWriter\' post=\'166008\' date=\'Oct 8 2007, 11:20 PM\']
I really am amazed at how much you folks remember! Yes, I sat a few feet from Gene Rayburn and pushed questions through a slide built in the desk. The sound effects guy would watch on a monitor and make sounds so it seemed like a machine was delivery the questions to Gene. Some of the questions that were pushed through that slot are among I'm selling. I'm quite moved that people enjoy owning them. I only wish I had taken tons of them when Goodson closed the NY office. I don't want this to be an ad so I won't post anymore details here. Thanks for keeping The Match Game alive.
[/quote]
Wow...welcome to our forum! Pleasure to have you here. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 11:38:33 PM »
How cool is that, people?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

J.R.

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2007, 12:00:05 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'166013\' date=\'Oct 8 2007, 10:38 PM\']How cool is that, people?[/quote]
Very.

It really pays to be a member of this forum.

Great to have you here, Mr. DeBartolo! :-)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 12:01:01 AM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

Queen of Nerdocrombesia

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2007, 01:19:03 AM »
Welcome aboard, sir.  Consider me among the very much in awe.

\ Silently wondering if he thought up my handle's home of Nerdocrombesia.
\\ Or, after all this time, if I've misspelled it.
\\\ Slashies: just did it.
"These days, if a show doesn't make it in a couple of weeks, it goes out in the alley.  Faith has become too expensive."

--Garry Moore, 1979

robsearson

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 07:04:08 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'165121\' date=\'Sep 30 2007, 06:35 AM\']
That was back in the day when DeBartolo was actually in the studio for tapings. Dick may never have set foot on the CBS lot for the 70's series, as he actually sent in his questions from New York and everyone else was working in LA with Ira Skutch and the gang.
[/quote]

I've been listening to Dick's Daily Giz Wiz podnetcast for quite a while now, and I always get a kick when he and Leo occasionally go off on a tangent about Dick's Match Game days.

MatchGameWriter

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 09:05:11 PM »
[quote name=\'robsearson\' post=\'166101\' date=\'Oct 9 2007, 07:04 PM\']
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'165121\' date=\'Sep 30 2007, 06:35 AM\']
That was back in the day when DeBartolo was actually in the studio for tapings. Dick may never have set foot on the CBS lot for the 70's series, as he actually sent in his questions from New York and everyone else was working in LA with Ira Skutch and the gang.
[/quote]

I've been listening to Dick's Daily Giz Wiz podnetcast for quite a while now, and I always get a kick when he and Leo occasionally go off on a tangent about Dick's Match Game days.
[/quote]

Leo and I go off on two different tangents --- talking about the Match Game and talking about the good days when William M. Gaines ran MAD. Since people here seem to have an incredible memory about the old MG shows, let me pose a question --- Does anyone remember the "pickle episode" on MG? An autographed MAD Special for the first one to come up with the correct answer. You can post it on this forum.

Also, so you don't get a shock if you go to my website, I changed the price of the MG question to $22.99. I've had hired someone to help me and I never thought about the cost of sleeves, photo coping etc. All orders that went in as $19.99 are of course at that price. If the new price is really a hardship let me know and I'll invoice you at old price until October 15th. But these questions have turned out to be my only payment for endless years of repeats with up to now --  a total payout of $1.12 in residuals as you can see at www.matchgamequesitons.com.  Once these questions are gone, they are not more. Any one have a time machine so I can back to the old Goodson office at 375 Park Avenue and get some more!
Take care,

Dick De (Much preferred to Mr. DeBartolo)

PYLW

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 09:35:22 PM »
I might be going mad, but is that where everyone answered the word "pickle" to each question Gene asked? Actually, I really want to know, I only have a vague recollection of someone telling me that.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2007, 10:54:49 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'166113\' date=\'Oct 9 2007, 09:35 PM\']
I might be going mad, but is that where everyone answered the word "pickle" to each question Gene asked? Actually, I really want to know, I only have a vague recollection of someone telling me that.[/quote]
Well done, Josh, that appears to be it.  There are two slightly difference references to it on Usenet, this one that says it never aired, and this one which seems to suggest it did.

I'm delighted to see that Bill Cullen was involved, and probably the instigator.  When Mr. DeBartolo Dick De gives us the real story, I'll definitely find a place for it on The Bill Cullen Homepage (which is way overdue for an update as it is).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 10:55:29 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

WhammyPower

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2007, 10:34:36 AM »
My questions arrived today, so here they are:

#14,062 (4/21/66, can't make out first celeb, second is McMahon): Complete this sentence with one or more words: John broke the string on his _____.

12/26/75 (yay, '7x era!): The Indian rubber man said: "Hmmmmm, I guess I shouldn't have used an electric hair dryer....it melted my ______."  (Also has POTB after it, no idea what that means)

Unused: John bought a dozen ______s at a sale.

Also noteworthy is the fact that I got two autographed MAD Magazines because he screwed up the first one.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 10:36:46 AM by WhammyPower »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2007, 11:45:56 AM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'166127\' date=\'Oct 10 2007, 07:34 AM\']
Also noteworthy is the fact that I got two autographed MAD Magazines because he screwed up the first one.
[/quote]
One to read, and one to use! :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2007, 12:54:14 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'166127\' date=\'Oct 10 2007, 10:34 AM\']#14,062 (4/21/66, can't make out first celeb, second is McMahon)[/quote]
Skitch Henderson.  Source the same as above, but with mg66.html at the end.

TimK2003

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2007, 08:26:37 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'166127\' date=\'Oct 10 2007, 10:34 AM\']

12/26/75 (yay, '7x era!): The Indian rubber man said: "Hmmmmm, I guess I shouldn't have used an electric hair dryer....it melted my ______."  (Also has POTB after it, no idea what that means)

[/quote]

I'll take a stab and say POTB is "Part Of The Body".