Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dick DeBartolo is selling Match Game Questions  (Read 19324 times)

bricon

Dick DeBartolo is selling Match Game Questions
« on: September 29, 2007, 03:56:13 PM »
Dick DeBartolo is selling Match Game questions, apparently from the original NBC series, at $19.99 for three question cards, plus an autographed copy of Mad Magazine.  Details can be found at Dick's website here.

tpirfan28

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 04:02:43 PM »
Oh my....excellent!  I'll consider getting a set...or two.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

geno57

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 04:16:20 AM »
Thanks so much for the heads-up on this.  DdB is putting a set in the mail for me, first thing Monday.  What a great collector's item!  I was a huge, huge "Match Game 6x" fan from the time I was five.

MrBuddwing

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 05:02:14 AM »
Having been accused of having a good memory, I remember how once, Gene Rayburn had a question about one of Mr. DeBartolo's questions, and DeBartolo actually came out, did a quick, sweeping wave to the camera, leaned back to confer sotto voce with Rayburn (who was standing behind a counter), then waved at the camera again before ducking out.

What a shame virtually all of the NBC "Match Game" episodes were destroyed.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 05:03:02 AM by MrBuddwing »

davemackey

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 06:35:11 AM »
[quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' post=\'165120\' date=\'Sep 30 2007, 05:02 AM\']
Having been accused of having a good memory, I remember how once, Gene Rayburn had a question about one of Mr. DeBartolo's questions, and DeBartolo actually came out, did a quick, sweeping wave to the camera, leaned back to confer sotto voce with Rayburn (who was standing behind a counter), then waved at the camera again before ducking out.
[/quote]
That was back in the day when DeBartolo was actually in the studio for tapings. Dick may never have set foot on the CBS lot for the 70's series, as he actually sent in his questions from New York and everyone else was working in LA with Ira Skutch and the gang.

geno57

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 11:51:03 AM »
During most of the NBC run, I thought that the little box on Rayburn's podium was a machine that would spit out a question.  Then, one day toward the end of the series, they showed DdB sitting off-set, pushing the card through with a grocery-grabber type device.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 10:28:36 PM »
he actually sent in his questions from New York and everyone else was working in LA
Same with our paychecks (each one hand-autographed by the late Howard F. Todman*).

*Howard Todman passed away on May 2 of this year.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 10:32:54 PM by chris319 »

uncamark

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 12:52:18 PM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' post=\'165097\' date=\'Sep 29 2007, 02:56 PM\']
Dick DeBartolo is selling Match Game questions, apparently from the original NBC series, at $19.99 for three question cards, plus an autographed copy of Mad Magazine.  Details can be found at Dick's website here.
[/quote]

In the one example on the page, the top one is from the CBS days, with Dick asking Ira if the Joe Namath panty hose commercials are airing in LA.  You can see Ira's answer on the card.

And I'm surprised that Dick did get residuals from the GSN reruns, since they weren't WGA jurisdiction.

byrd62

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 03:37:49 PM »
You ever notice how a lot of the "blank" questions DdB wrote on the original Match Game in the 1960's generally involved John and Mary, as well as a variation or two on those names?  They weren't going for the laughs as much back then.

geno57

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 02:58:51 PM »
I got my package today!  Here's what's in it:

* Question number 17,583, used twice:  On January 24, 1966 (four days before my 9th birthday), when the team captains were Joe Garagiola and Maury Wills ... and then again, taped May 8, 1967, with captains Whitey Ford and Mickey Mantle.  The question:  Little Mary's new doll could _____![/i]

* An unnumbered, undated question: John always got dressed up before he went to his _____'s house.[/i]

* An unnumbered, undated ... but autographed by DdB ... question:  M said to J: "Boy you really must have dressed in a hurry -- you're wearing my _____."

There is also an autographed copy of the latest issue (October 2007) of MAD, and a couple of photocopies of promotional material for MGPM stations.

Very much worth the 20 bucks.  I'm getting some more!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 03:03:15 PM by geno57 »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 05:46:05 PM »
You ever notice how a lot of the "blank" questions DdB wrote on the original Match Game in the 1960's generally involved John and Mary, as well as a variation or two on those names? They weren't going for the laughs as much back then.

Yes, and the first few weeks of Match Game 7x too.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 05:55:25 PM »
Mine arrived today as well.  This feels like some of the football card box breaks done on some sportscard trading boards I frequent.

*  An inscribed and autographed copy of the October 2007 MAD Magazine.  ($3.99  CHEAP!)
*  23,406; from 2/11/1969 (Rita Moreno and Henny Youngman):  Complete this sentence with one or more words:

Someone sat on John's _____.

*  A world traveler surely would have a sticker marked _____ on his suitcase.
*  (Autographed)  Men's _____s are usually less expensive to buy than women's _____s.  "To buy" is hand-written.
*  Two photocopies of Match Game PM promotional material.

To echo Geno's sentiments, this rocks.  It's well worth the money for me, a Match Game fan and a reader of MAD Magazine for close to 25 years.

joshg

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 06:30:29 PM »
I received my first(?) package yesterday (Thursday). Thanks to the stupid USPS, my cards have a slight crease in them due to folding the manila envelope to fit into our mailbox. Anyway, here's what I received :

#13,578 John had to travel a great distance in order to go _______ing.
(on the back of this card is written 2/16/66 S Henderson, E McMahon)

#161 John's boss said to John: "Why don't you think more about work, and less about _______?"
(girls golf? is handwritten in marker)

#97 John said to Mary: "That must have been some door-to-door salesman. You bought six _______s."
(this one is autographed)

It was a treat seeing the MGPM stuff.

Makes a great Christmas gift, too.

Josh
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

trainman

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 12:08:44 AM »
#19,216  Complete this sentence by finishing the word:  "Why if it isn't John --- you have gotten ______er since I saw you last."
handwritten on the back in pencil is "10/20/67  (can't read first name, kind of looks like "Dron"), J. Meadows"

11/28/75   The owner of the beauty shop said to the Harry the new hair stylist:  "We do not allow our employees to warm their _______s under the hair dryer!"  Buns, buns (the other kind), hands, toes
actually in all caps; also has "TEST" handwritten in the upper left, and a vertical line drawn through the question

(No number or date)  Mary came home after a two week trip and found John hadn't _____ed a _____.
actually in all caps; also has "WORDS" typed in the upper right

The only problem is that the autograph on the magazine is made out to "James," since that's the name on my Paypal account.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 12:09:37 AM by trainman »
trainman is a man of trains

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007, 12:48:11 AM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'165678\' date=\'Oct 6 2007, 12:08 AM\']#19,216  Complete this sentence by finishing the word:  "Why if it isn't John --- you have gotten ______er since I saw you last."
handwritten on the back in pencil is "10/20/67  (can't read first name, kind of looks like "Dron"), J. Meadows"[/quote]
Hugh Downs and Jayne Meadows.  Source.

Josh got some very low numbered questions while James, er, Jim got the first MG7x/PM question in the bunch.  Nice stuff.  Keep sharing your goods when you get them!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 12:49:23 AM by MikeK »