Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Yes, it's too late, but...  (Read 5044 times)

JacksonBrowne1980

• I Played With The Toys At My Schools I Went To
Yes, it's too late, but...
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 03:30:31 PM »
i agree; but i am still taping as much temptation i can
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

"Well, I Guess You Have To Be 35 Before Anyone Around Here Listens To You" - Alex Pruitt From "Home Alone 3"

MTCesquire

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 06:19:56 PM »
[quote name=\'BMaurice06\' post=\'165238\' date=\'Oct 1 2007, 02:42 PM\']
Here's my suggestion:

<cut>
[/quote]

So your proposal is pretty much the Australian version with shopping and the endgame switched, and Knockoff replacing 10-in-60.  Why didn't you just save yourself some time and say "Here's my proposal: pretty much the Australian version with shopping and the endgame etc., etc.?"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 06:47:24 PM »
[quote name=\'MTCesquire\' post=\'165248\' date=\'Oct 1 2007, 03:19 PM\']
Why didn't you just save yourself some time and say "Here's my proposal: pretty much the Australian version with shopping and the endgame etc., etc.?"
[/quote]
Clearly you're not familiar with his posting history. He's done this before.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 07:26:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'165076\' date=\'Sep 29 2007, 09:31 AM\']And yet, we could still have this:

[snip][/quote]
It looks good on paper, but even that wouldn't work -- by adding another Fame Game, interviewing the contestants, lengthening the speed rounds, and adding prize plugs for consolations and Super Knock Off, you've burdened an already tightly-edited show with at least 90 more seconds of content. Which is one of the problems Temptation faces -- given how much of a syndicated half-hour consists of commercials, this revival couldn't have the variety of games that the original Sale of the Century or the Australian version had.

[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'165076\' date=\'Sep 29 2007, 09:31 AM\']- Instant Cash ($1,000 minimum, +$500 each day, and no ceiling)
- :45/:60 Final Speed Round (and if it's a full minute, I think the questions can stay at $5.)[/quote]
You'd probably be forced to resign yourself to Instant Cash resetting to $500 when it's won -- it's easier to plan to budget for a flat $500 per day.

I do agree that the final speed round should be sixty seconds, but with the current format, even that would be hard to shoehorn in.

[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'165076\' date=\'Sep 29 2007, 09:31 AM\']- Super Knock Off: "Each correct answer adds $25 to your shopping account.  Get all six, though, and we'll give you a $100 bonus, for a total of $250, plus you'll also win this (Instant Bargain-esque prize package.)"[/quote]
I like this, but I don't think the prize package is necessary -- the extra $100 is tempting enough.

[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'165076\' date=\'Sep 29 2007, 09:31 AM\']- No 5-day contestant limit.  And if a player earns their way to the car, then "You can either take that car and drive off today, or you can come back tomorrow, and if you defend your title, you'll win every prize here in Shopper's Paradise.  Plus, you'll have a chance to play Super Knock Off for $10,000 cash."[/quote]
I doubt you'd be able to sell the idea of giving away The Lot and a $10,000 bonus on this budget-conscious show. You'd have a hard enough time selling the idea of The Lot, but since you've made it harder to accumulate a lot of money in Super Knock Off, I think you could get away with it. Just price The Lot about $150 to $200 higher than the car -- unless the champion does poorly at Super Knock Off the next day, they'll still win The Lot the day after earning enough for the car.

--
Scott Robinson

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2007, 08:06:09 PM »
I posted an entry on one of my blogs  about this, but it does suffer from a couple of the problems Scott said.  I tried to cut other things (mainly talking) but it's still probably long.  I also tried to address the home shopping problem, but as always, ymmv.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 08:06:29 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

davemackey

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2007, 08:49:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'165152\' date=\'Sep 30 2007, 05:32 PM\']
Here's another problem with Temptation: Is there a way to speed up Rolanda's prize descriptions?
[/quote]
Yes. Hire another announcer to do them.

J.R.

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 09:27:58 PM »
[quote name=\'BMaurice06\' post=\'165238\' date=\'Oct 1 2007, 01:42 PM\']As for the host, I still think that he's an annoying, unshaven pretty-boy, but if Fremantle wants to keep him, that's cool; he just has to work on his emceeing skills.[/quote]
But wouldn't your beloved Todd Newton fit the same description?
-Joe Raygor

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2007, 09:55:25 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'165263\' date=\'Oct 1 2007, 09:27 PM\']
[quote name=\'BMaurice06\' post=\'165238\' date=\'Oct 1 2007, 01:42 PM\']As for the host, I still think that he's an annoying, unshaven pretty-boy, but if Fremantle wants to keep him, that's cool; he just has to work on his emceeing skills.[/quote]
But wouldn't your beloved Todd Newton fit the same description?
[/quote]

There's a difference between Newton and Morreale...Newton HAS hosting skills.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2007, 10:03:52 PM »
The thing of it is, there are too many problems covering too many areas, fixing only the game play, or only getting rid of the host, or only changing the game material, is only slapping a bandage on a broken leg.

One of the reasons Rossi has "big hugs and lots of love" for everyone is that by getting rid of the Fame Game board, the show loses three chances to give away a prize (and read a fee plug, too) per show. This could be solved in two ways: give the winner of a Fame Game the sure thing of the money value, or an unknown prize. Ditto for the Knock-off: "Nine of our answers hide prizes, three knock you out of the round. Whatever you find, you keep." That way, people are leaving with something more than an entry pass. (But again, they're already on a shoestring as it is. Solving one problem will help to solve the other.)

I've seen exactly 60 minutes of the show, and the problem (for me anyway) is the material. I'm not bothered by the Mario Party resemblance as much as I am the aversion of the show's writers to ask anything of an academic nature. When I saw one of the "sneak preview" Super Knock-off Rounds was "People who have starred in their own reality shows," I knew I was in for a rough go. I actually think that using a format similar in structure to that of You Don't Know Jack (the computer game) would work. Ask a stack of questions, play a game or sell some crap. End with the speed round.

The most headscratching thing about the whole operation is why the show would saddle players with a time limit in which they must win the car. That is, unless they only intended to give away the car once or twice in the entire thirteen weeks. And if that's the case, why bother?
Travis L. Eberle

Clay Zambo

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2007, 12:25:38 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'165266\' date=\'Oct 1 2007, 10:03 PM\']
I've seen exactly 60 minutes of the show, and the problem (for me anyway) is the material. I'm not bothered by the Mario Party resemblance as much as I am the aversion of the show's writers to ask anything of an academic nature. [/quote]

I remind you that the level and subject matter is *not* subject to the whims of the writers.  They write what they're told to write.  It's a little like saying, "That 'Price is Right' show is kinda neat, but they really ought to have more history questions."  I know, it's only a *little* like saying that; the idea of "fun pop-culture questions" isn't inherent in Temptation's design, but it's very much inherent in the show that Ginger and company could sell.  And the writing staff didn't make that call.
czambo@mac.com

BMaurice06

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2007, 12:56:58 AM »
[quote name=\'MTCesquire\' post=\'165248\' date=\'Oct 1 2007, 06:19 PM\']
So your proposal is pretty much the Australian version with shopping and the endgame switched, and Knockoff replacing 10-in-60.  Why didn't you just save yourself some time and say "Here's my proposal: pretty much the Australian version with shopping and the endgame etc., etc.?"
[/quote]

Because I don't feel the need to rush into favorite topics like this.  If I want to make long proposals like the one I just made, so be it (and in case you were asking, yes, I think it is necessary to be sassy in my posting!).  This is too good a subject not to take my time with, and besides details suit me just fine, thankyouverymuch.