Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Yes, it's too late, but...  (Read 5038 times)

Sodboy13

Yes, it's too late, but...
« on: September 29, 2007, 10:31:22 AM »
It's off-putting, it's off my Tivo, it's off in Portland, and soon enough, it'll just be flat-out off.  I think a wide majority of us here have expressed strong disappointment that Temptation, a show many of us were looking forward to, thought showed a lot of promise, and believed was being done by people who "get it," turned out to be such an absolute clunker.  The worst thing is that, even with what they're going for in this version of the show, everything could have been so much better with just a few adjustments and rearrangements.  With that, I've thought about how I would fix the show, keeping the following caveats in mind:

- This is not an Australian network show.  This is a relatively small-scale syndie effort distributed by 20th Television (Dollar Store Division,) so $70K cars, $5K Instant Bargains, and a shot at high-6-figure cash are all out of the question.
- It's not going to be a general knowledge quizzer.  They want to target the female demo with a pop-culture-focused program, and that's what this version of Temptation was going to be, no matter how fixed or broken.
- Barring a lawsuit, Knock Off isn't going anywhere.
- The Fame Game will not feature nine famous faces, and will still be a letter-turning affair.
- The Home Shopping segments, no matter how insipid, don't interfere with gameplay and add a couple bucks to the revenue stream, so we're stuck with 'em.
- This is NOT an Australian network show.

And yet, we could still have this:

- Intro, title
- Brief contestant intro
- :30 Dis or Dat Speed Round "to get everybody warmed up" - a quick way for players to build cash early on with the simplest questions.
- Instant Bargain #1.  And for the Bargains, either drop the pointless Shop Clock, or give Rossi the ability to say "Stop the clock!" and sweeten the deal when the contestant's hands aren't even in the same area code as the buzzer.
- Hey, since Rossi's there at the desk, how about 60 seconds or so of Getting To Know Our Players?
- $15 Fame Game

(break)

- Knock Off
- Instant Bargain #2
- :45 Speed Round

(break)

- $20/$25 Fame Game
- Instant Cash ($1,000 minimum, +$500 each day, and no ceiling)
- :45/:60 Final Speed Round (and if it's a full minute, I think the questions can stay at $5.)
- "For our departing contestants, you'll be able to go bargain shopping at home with your (Temptation) dollars on a Visa Gift Card, plus we're sending you off with our exclusive Temptation Tote Bag, filled with ($100-$200 of a sponsor's product.)"
- Champ goes to Shopper's Paradise, prize descriptions read

(break)

- Super Knock Off: "Each correct answer adds $25 to your shopping account.  Get all six, though, and we'll give you a $100 bonus, for a total of $250, plus you'll also win this (Instant Bargain-esque prize package.)"  I think that would add a little more tension and a risk element to the end game, and there's more "Temptation" if that last answer takes the bonus from $125 to $250, plus nets the player a prize.
- Champion's Decision (having this on its own at the end of the show practically screams to the audience, "Skip the last five minutes of our show!")
- No 5-day contestant limit.  And if a player earns their way to the car, then "You can either take that car and drive off today, or you can come back tomorrow, and if you defend your title, you'll win every prize here in Shopper's Paradise.  Plus, you'll have a chance to play Super Knock Off for $10,000 cash."
- If a champ wins the lot, then Super Knock Off is played for $500 in real money per answer, with all six getting the $10K.

So, there you have it.  I know it's still not the best this show could be, but I like to think that this is a case of doing the best I can with what I have to work with.  More than anything, I just think it's sad that this show is so broken, it'll die before there's any hope of it getting fixed, and we're all left to ponder what could have been.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

kenbob_clarker

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 11:16:20 AM »
Awesome.  Simply awesome.
John 3:16.  The best news you'll ever read.

The Pyramids

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 11:18:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'165076\' date=\'Sep 29 2007, 10:31 AM\']
I just think it's sad that this show is so broken, it'll die before there's any hope of it getting fixed, and we're all left to ponder what could have been.
[/quote]

I think that sums it up.

tpirfan28

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 11:21:10 AM »
...and no more Temptation Dollars?

OT:  Watched with some friends yesterday...made a really good drinking game. :)
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Scrabbleship

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 12:51:40 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'165078\' date=\'Sep 29 2007, 11:18 AM\']
I just think it's sad that this show is so broken, it'll die before there's any hope of it getting fixed, and we're all left to ponder what could have been.
[/quote]

I think that sums it up.
[/quote]

This makes me want to get a job with Fremantle so I can show them up. Anyone have any help on advice on how to do that so they don't screw anything else up?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 03:03:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'165076\' date=\'Sep 29 2007, 07:31 AM\']
And yet, we could still have this:
[/quote]
I am impressed. Still a lot less gameplay than I would like, but significantly more watchable, if Rossi wasn't such a freakin' tool.

Well done!
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TimK2003

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 07:06:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Scrabbleship\' post=\'165082\' date=\'Sep 29 2007, 12:51 PM\']
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'165078\' date=\'Sep 29 2007, 11:18 AM\']
[/quote]

I think that sums it up.
[/quote]

This makes me want to get a job with Fremantle so I can show them up. Anyone have any help on advice on how to do that so they don't screw anything else up?
[/quote]

First off, you need to lie on the cover letter and say how great Temptation is, how the addition of the Double Whammies in Whammy was the best change to Press Your Luck, and that you're very sad that Bob Barker didn't extend his contract for another 5 years on TPIR. Then, once you've brown-nosed your way to the top, fire the ones who never watched the original versions of the shows they are trying to reincarnate.

davemackey

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 07:30:54 PM »
[/quote]
Mandel Ilagan couldn't straighten them out... guess there's not a lot anyone can do, for that matter.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 07:31:24 PM by davemackey »

Scrabbleship

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 08:27:51 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'165106\' date=\'Sep 29 2007, 07:30 PM\']
[/quote]
Mandel Ilagan couldn't straighten them out... guess there's not a lot anyone can do, for that matter.
[/quote]

Anyone have an idea of Ginger Simpson's c.v. then? I know she also does Lingo, maybe I could get the same start she did so I can save game shows in the future...

I wish there were lifetime bans in game shows, Ginger Simpson would near the top of my list at this point for her lack of attention with Temptation.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 10:17:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Scrabbleship\' post=\'165109\' date=\'Sep 29 2007, 07:27 PM\']
I wish there were lifetime bans in game shows, Ginger Simpson would near the top of my list at this point for her lack of attention with Temptation.
[/quote]
By no means am I saying the series is great, nor am I saying it sucks (haven't seen it).  But, if you're saying that she should be banned, do tell what you would do to make the show better.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 10:24:15 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Scrabbleship

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 11:11:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'165128\' date=\'Sep 30 2007, 10:17 AM\']
[quote name=\'Scrabbleship\' post=\'165109\' date=\'Sep 29 2007, 07:27 PM\']
[/quote]
By no means am I saying the series is great, nor am I saying it sucks (haven't seen it).  But, if you're saying that she should be banned, do tell what you would do to make the show better.
[/quote]
  • Intro and contestents come out.
  • 30-second speed round
  • First IB
  • Several questions
  • Fame game; ditch the spelling and make the a rolling amount starting at $20 and going down as the question goes on.
Commercial
  • Learn a bit about the conestents.
  • Second speed round.
  • Second IB.
  • Some normal questions
  • Knock-off in lieu of second Fame Game.
  • Instant Cash or Third IB
Commercial
  • Some normal questions, but at $10 each.
  • Second Fame Game, only starting at $40.
  • 60-second speed round at $5/question
  • Whoever is in the lead wins, players keep cash and get consolation prizes alongside any IB's won.
  • No Super Knock-off, 8 prizes instead of 5, the lot would exist with a bonus of at least $50,000.
Put in some gender equality with the contestants and it's a marriage of the current format and classic $otC and is so doable in 22 minutes.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 01:43:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Scrabbleship\' post=\'165133\' date=\'Sep 30 2007, 08:11 AM\']
  • Some normal questions, but at $10 each.
  • 60-second speed round at $5/question
  • [/quote]
    It's going to look really stupid if you jack up the question value and then jack it back DOWN again for the Big Finish.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 05:32:05 PM »
Here's another problem with Temptation: Is there a way to speed up Rolanda's prize descriptions? I've come to like her style, but if they're recording her they could play it back faster.

It's crazy how many nits there are to pick with this show, yet I still watch it. (Though now only once a day, since the double run went through a time rift.) The only big problem (besides Lo Money Syndrome) is Rossi--ironic, since he looks to be about 4' 6".

TimK2003

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 09:38:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Scrabbleship\' post=\'165109\' date=\'Sep 29 2007, 08:27 PM\']
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'165106\' date=\'Sep 29 2007, 07:30 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Anyone have an idea of Ginger Simpson's c.v. then? I know she also does Lingo, maybe I could get the same start she did so I can save game shows in the future...

[/quote]

It sounds like Ginger Simpson is quickly becoming the Lin Bolen of the 21st Century???  She's got at least one element down pat -- Shopping over Gameplay!

BMaurice06

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 02:42:43 PM »
Here's my suggestion:

Segment 1:
- 3 untimed questions
- 30-second speed round
- Instant Bargain #1
- 3 untimed questions
- Fame Game #1 (classic style)

Segment 2:
- 2 or 3 untimed questions
- Instant Bargain #2
- 2 untimed questions
- Fame Game #2
- 30-second speed round (Dis or Dat)

Segment 3:
- 3 untimed questions
- Instant Cash
- 2 untimed questions
- Fame Game #3

Segment 4:
- 60-second speed round
- Knock-Off
- Shopping (Here I would add a sixth level allowing the contestants to own all five prizes on stage just to up the ante a bit.)

Basically it retains a lot of the Grundy format while retaining some of the current innovations.  As for the host, I still think that he's an annoying, unshaven pretty-boy, but if Fremantle wants to keep him, that's cool; he just has to work on his emceeing skills.